Political Discussion Forums
Argus

Stuff I found on the internet

This is an article from Quillette which talks about the way huge capitalist entities are taking control of the internet and strangling the independent operators and producers as they seek to appeal to corporate advertisers and lock out anything controversial. I thought it was quite interesting.

Like countless other high-profile creators, PewDiePie repeatedly has slammed YouTube for opacity in its policies on monetization, copyright and content restrictions. He also has called out YouTube—a Google subsidiary since 2006—for bowing to corporate whims at the expense of the creators and users who made the platform popular in the first place. As Jordan Peterson—a very different kind of YouTube sensation—would put it, the struggle is archetypal: PewDiePie is what YouTube was supposed to be. T-Series is what it has actually become, with YouTube’s active encouragement.

And it is not just YouTube. As Quillette readers know, something similar is going on with Patreon, Google, Facebook, Twitter and Amazon. Defying its foundational architecture, the internet is no longer decentralized. A cartel of politically aligned capitalists controls access not just to cyberspace in the abstract, but, arguably, the very means of online business functionality. This is why PewDiePie has become a lightning rod: He has managed to buck this trend by building up a massive following that (for now) allows him to defy corporate control.

https://quillette.com/2018/12/20/pewdiepies-battle-for-the-soul-of-the-internet/

This is a perfect example of the liberal bigotry of low expectations. It details how the New York Times Review of Books published an interview recently with Alice Walker, who wrote the Color Purple. Walker is a racist and anti-Semite who makes no secret of her hatred for Jews. For example, she forbad The Color Purple from ever being translated into Hebrew. She is an admirer of David Icke and other holocaust deniers, and blames all the world's ills on Jews and the Talmud.

But as this article points out, the liberal establishment has never called her out on any of this because she's Black.

That a celebrated cultural figure like Walker would promote such a self-evidently unhinged bigot might seem surprising at first glance. But this is only because the cultural establishment has spent years studiously looking away from Walker’s praise of Icke and his work, and her repeated expressions of anti-Semitism.

https://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/277273/the-new-york-times-just-published-an-unqualified-recommendation-for-an-insanely-anti-semitic-book

Well if you're an enthusiast for renewable energy this might be kind of blunt news for you. Basically, after decades of trying,  windmills are still less than half a percent of energy output - which is a good thing because they're largely useless and use massive amounts of coal, as well as killing a lot of birds and bats.

If wind turbines were to supply all of that growth but no more, how many would need to be built each year? The answer is nearly 350,000, since a two-megawatt turbine can produce about 0.005 terawatt-hours per annum. That’s one-and-a-half times as many as have been built in the world since governments started pouring consumer funds into this so-called industry in the early 2000s.

At a density of, very roughly, 50 acres per megawatt, typical for wind farms, that many turbines would require a land area greater than the British Isles, including Ireland. Every year. If we kept this up for 50 years, we would have covered every square mile of a land area the size of Russia with wind farms. Remember, this would be just to fulfil the new demand for energy, not to displace the vast existing supply of energy from fossil fuels, which currently supply 80 per cent of global energy needs.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/05/wind-turbines-are-neither-clean-nor-green-and-they-provide-zero-global-energy/

This is a long read for a quiet Sunday. But it's quite intelligent in its assessment of the existing state of Black poverty in the US, and the reasons for it. Those reasons run quite contrary to the prevailing narrative, which is that it's a result of slavery and racism.

Nor can historical racism explain wealth disparities between groups of the same race. A 2015 survey of wealth in Boston found that the median black household had only 8 dollars of wealth. Newsweek reported this fact under the heading “Racism in Boston.” But the 8 dollar figure only pertained to black Bostonians of American ancestry; black Bostonians of Caribbean ancestry had 12,000 dollars of wealth, despite having identical rates of college graduation, only slightly higher incomes, and being equally black in the same city.”

But history tells a different story. Starting with the California Alien Land Law of 1913, fourteen states passed laws preventing Japanese-American peasant farmers from owning land and property. These laws existed until 1952, when the Supreme Court ruled them unconstitutional. Add to this the internment of 120,000 Japanese-Americans during World War II, and it’s fair to say that the Japanese were given no bootstraps in America. Nevertheless, by 1970 census data showed Japanese-Americans out-earning Anglo-Americans, Irish-Americans, German-Americans, Italian-Americans, and Polish-Americans.14 For Asian-Americans on the whole, an analysis of wealth data from 1989 to 2013 predicted that their “median wealth soon will surpass the white median level.” If wealth differences were largely explained by America’s history of favoring certain groups over others, then it would be hard to explain why Asian-Americans, who were never favored, are on track to become wealthier than whites.

https://quillette.com/2018/07/19/black-american-culture-and-the-racial-wealth-gap/

From the BBC, a man goes back to the home of his ancestors in Turkey - his Christian ancestors, slaughtered by the Turks a hundred years ago for being Christian. Canada is so used to apologizing for our past, which the likes of Trudeau will tell you is horrible and racist, that we rarely look around to notice the sorts of things other governments have done, and how little sorrow they express over any of it. Turkey, for example, has never even acknowledged that it slaughtered the Christians in western Turkey, much less apologized. While Canadians wring their hands in guilt over putting Japanese in camps the Turks shrug off beheading and stabbing millions of Christians and dumping their bodies down wells or in unmarked graves.

And if anyone thinks the current leader of Turkey would hesitate for one second to do the same they clearly haven't been following him or the dangerous state of existence of the surviving Christians in Turkey.

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-46650910

Irony.

Don't we all love it? Even in dreadful situations?

Here's a notorious civil rights lawyer along with an equally notorious civil rights activist, both huge BLM organizers, offering up a $100,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the white man who murdered a 7 year old black girl. But they only got involved AFTER they heard the person accused of murdering her was a white man, and people started suggesting it was a hate crime. Racing to the scene to bask in the limelight as the great defenders of the downtrodden black folks and talk about how racist white people were.

Two Black men were arrested today, and one has already confessed. Whooopsieeeeee. Wonder if Black Lives Matter is still gonna have any further interest in this one...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46775303

Edited by Argus

This is an interesting take on self-esteem and narcisism, in the rise of a belief that raising children with high self-esteem trumped everything else.  This believe is one of the reasons why we stopped failing children who did poorly, why we pushed all children, even with learning disabilities or autism, into being in the same class with 'normal' children, thus damaging the education potential of everyone.

And it was all based on a lie.

At the heart of Selfie is a deep investigation into one of its main proponents, a politician named John Vasconcellos, and his government mandated task force to look into self-esteem. He told the world that the scientific part of his investigation confirmed that high self-esteem was, indeed, a social vaccine. I tracked down former members and spent weeks pouring through their archives and found that he’d deliberately lied and attempted to cover up about what the science really showed—which was no causative link between self-esteem and good outcomes.

Unfortunately, Vasconcellos’s lie went around the world. Journalists bought it, powerful influencers such as Oprah Winfrey embraced it and the idea took over. It was hugely consequential. It was in this era of self-esteem parenting and teaching that we began to see the rise of narcissism in young people, that leads right into this “selfie” era. I believe that Vasconcellos and his task force played a part in that story.

https://quillette.com/2019/01/05/how-the-self-esteem-myth-has-damaged-society-and-us-an-interview-with-will-storr/

Black Lives Matter! But only if they're being taken by white people. They don't really matter that much when it's Black people pulling the trigger.

On December 30, seven-year-old Jazmine Barnes was killed in a brazen drive-by shooting in Houston while in her family car, driven by her mother. Barnes’s teenage sister provided the sole description of the shooter to media and police: ‘He was white and had blue eyes.’ In interviews, the family expressed fears that they had been targeted because of their race. The response was immediate: national media, celebrities, politicians, and activists launched a crusade to find the racist white killer.

Within days, activist Shaun King and his attorney Lee Merritt used social media to raise $100,000 as reward money for information leading to an arrest. Houston Texans star wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins committed one of his paychecks to the Barnes family. Shaquille O’Neal pledged to pay for the funeral. A GoFundMe page raised over $82,000 — far surpassing its initial goal of $6,500. On Twitter, celebrities and racial justice activists tweeted about the murder using the hashtag #JusticeforJazmine and #SayHerName.

The public outcry had an impact. Over the weekend, Harris County police announced a major breakthrough in the case: two men had been arrested — one charged — on suspicion of murder. Yet neither have blue eyes, nor white skin. Both are black. Whereas the family believed they were victims of a hate crime, suspect Eric Black Jr. admitted before investigators that mistaken identity was to blame. What’s more, in the wake of this surprising turn of events, those who made the loudest cries for justice became conspicuously quiet. Others maintained their outrage by resorting to a conspiratorial tone, sometimes questioning the police’s sequence of events.

It’s clear why the narrative around Jazmine’s murder should attract so much furor. The life of a black child being taken by a racist in a post-Charleston, post-Pittsburgh America should anger us. Yet it’s less clear why this furor should suddenly desist upon the revelation that the suspected killer is not white, but black. Black lives do matter — but the backlog of ignored tragedies in Houston similar to Jazmine’s case suggests that attention given to black lives by some within the activist movement is more selective than it seems.

https://spectator.us/jazmine-barnes-black-lives-matter/

Edited by Argus

I thought this was a pretty good column in the Post, which points out that Canadians mostly agree on things that governments are fighting tooth and nail on. Ie, it's not Canadians who are divided but the political elites with their own agendas who are, and who try to pit us against one another.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/canadians-are-united-its-the-politicians-that-are-the-problem#comments-area

Another example of how inclusive and tolerant the more peaceful and moderate Muslim countries are - like Egypt!

Which just sentenced a TV newscaster to a year at hard labour for the crime of interviewing a homosexual! (EEK!)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-46946612

You wonder what people fear when the government starts talking about doing something about 'hate speech'? We fear becoming something like the UK, where the merest hint of an insult or anything said or written which might be offensive towards any identifiable group brings police to your door. This guy dared to tweet that he didn't see how transgender women were real women, and next thing you know police were at his door.

Cop said he was in possession of 30 Tweets by me. I asked if any contained criminal material. He said…. No. I asked if any came close to being criminal… and he read me a limerick. Honestly. A limerick. A cop read me a limerick over the phone.

I said, I didn’t write that. He said, ‘Ah. But you Liked it and promoted it.’ I asked why he was wasting his time on a non crime. He said, ‘It’s not a crime, but it will be recorded as a hate incident.’

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/01/is-it-now-a-crime-to-like-a-poem-about-transgenderism/

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-humber-47005937

Edited by Argus

It seems that Chinese company Tencent has purchased a chunk of Reddit for $150 million. In honor of this a number of people are posting pictures to remind people of what China stands for. This picture below is showing how protestors in Tibet are dealt with. There's an 'after' photo too but I doubt you'd want to see it.

image.png.a0781d5d0d8ce598338908cfda963305.png

Edited by Argus

10 hours ago, Argus said:

It seems that Chinese company Tencent has purchased a chunk of Reddit for $150 million. In honor of this a number of people are posting pictures to remind people of what China stands for. This picture below is showing how protestors in Tibet are dealt with. There's an 'after' photo too but I doubt you'd want to see it.

image.png.a0781d5d0d8ce598338908cfda963305.png

Hmmm.  I hate China as much as the next guy but is this from the 1960s ?

The fact is that as much as we will have to learn to deal with China, they will have to learn to deal with us.  There will be some engagement.  Trust will have to be built.  

But we also need to remember who we are, and that it's not THIS.  We deal with bad people, unfortunately.  That is reality.  If the US had a moral leader they could help.  If Europe were not divided they could help.  If our PM was stronger he could help.

Dark times.

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Hmmm.  I hate China as much as the next guy but is this from the 1960s ?

The fact is that as much as we will have to learn to deal with China, they will have to learn to deal with us.  There will be some engagement.  Trust will have to be built.  

But we also need to remember who we are, and that it's not THIS.  We deal with bad people, unfortunately.  That is reality.  If the US had a moral leader they could help.  If Europe were not divided they could help.  If our PM was stronger he could help.

Dark times.

I don't know what time this occurred. I do know such things continue today. There are picture of the slaughtered students at Tiananmen square all over the internet, some crushed by tanks. The followers of Falun Gong have been killed by the thousands, in some cases to harvest their organs. The ongoing clampdown of civil rights suggests things are not improving in the slightest.

2 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Weird.  I thought BC replied but I don't see it.

I deleted it. It was more of that "Canada sucks" taunting he does elsewhere which makes him a troll.

He's capable of intelligent replies, but his trolling is a tiresome bore. I have allowed other replies from him but when he trolls I'm going to delete it.

24 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Weird.  I thought BC replied but I don't see it.

It was a photo of "dark times" in Canada...residential schools.   Only China is evil, right ?

4 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

It was a photo of "dark times" in Canada...residential schools.   Only China is evil, right ?

What the fuck do residential schools have to do with mass slaughter in China? It's just more of your moronic nah, nah nah naaah naa style of putting down Canada to get a reaction and distract from a topic. It's as if some American was talking about China's human rights violations and some idiot decided to talk about the slaughter at Wounded Knee or Japanese internment. Huh? Not the least fucking bit comparable in size, scope, brutality or date.

Edited by Argus

1 hour ago, Argus said:

What the fuck do residential schools have to do with mass slaughter in China? It's just more of your moronic nah, nah nah naaah naa style of putting down Canada to get a reaction and distract from a topic. It's as if some American was talking about China's human rights violations and some idiot decided to talk about the slaughter at Wounded Knee or Japanese internment. Huh? Not the least fucking bit comparable in size, scope, brutality or date.

Relax...my response was to another member's post and morality play for the "1960's, which includes far more than just China.   Many thousands died in Canada's residential school system.

The U.S. still has capital punishment in case you didn't know.....Canada's #1 trading partner.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

7 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

No.  Canada is also evil.

2 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Relax...my response was to another member's post and morality play for the "1960's, which includes far more than just China.   Many thousands died in Canada's residential school system.

The U.S. still has capital punishment in case you didn't know.....Canada's #1 trading partner.

Do they drag demonstrators over to walls and put a bullet in their head? Did we ever? Do we kill people in order to steal and sell their internal organs? Give me a break on this bullshit. Neither the US nor Canada has ever operated like that. Yes, we've both made mistakes but the worst of them were decades, if not generations back. The Chinese have not improved one single bit.

29 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

No.  Canada is also evil.

I hate equivalency shit like this. Because it excuses the behaviour of evil regimes like China's and North Korea and Russia and others. Instead of condemning them out of hand the hand-wringers look for something in our history - regardless of how far back they have to go, to avoid 'judging' them. Screw that. I'm judging them and they fail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Argus said:

I hate equivalency shit like this. Because it excuses the behaviour of evil regimes like China's and North Korea and Russia and others. Instead of condemning them out of hand the hand-wringers look for something in our history - regardless of how far back they have to go, to avoid 'judging' them. Screw that. I'm judging them and they fail.

Go ahead.  I don't believe in living without mirrors.

28 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Go ahead.  I don't believe in living without mirrors.

How could you shave, right?

That said, If your mirrors show Canada compares to those regimes which are actually evil, I wouldn't risk using them to guide a razor anywhere near your neck.

Edited by bcsapper
  • Like 1