Political Discussion Forums
Argus

Stuff I found on the internet

56 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

How could you shave, right?

That said, If your mirrors show Canada compares to those regimes which are actually evil, I wouldn't risk using them to guide a razor anywhere near your neck.

Wow.  You're bad at analogy.  Do you use a mirror to look at others?

7 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Wow.  You're bad at analogy.  Do you use a mirror to look at others?

Only when I'm driving.

I was, of course, referring to what you see in mirrors.  As you had.

Edited by bcsapper

12 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Only when I'm driving.

I was, of course, referring to what you see in mirrors.  As you had.

Yeah.  I look at myself.  Not often.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

Yeah.  I look at myself.  Not often.

Well, you've lost me. But that's okay, it wasn't a big deal.

16 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Go ahead.  I don't believe in living without mirrors.

Bullshit answer. Nobody is talking about ignoring our own warts. But the habit of the hand-wringers to bring up this or that former transgression any time someone criticizes what foreign nations are doing NOW serves only one purpose - to excuse what those nations and peoples are doing.

"Oh well, yes, I know the Chinese slaughtered millions in their cultural revolution and ran over unarmed students protesting for democracy with tanks in Tiananmen Square, and instituted a pogrom in Tibet that put hundreds of thousands of Tibetans up against a wall to be shot and murdered Falun Gong followers to harvest their organs and now have a million Muslims in concentration camps, but well, we had that residential schools thing! Oh me Oh my! How can we dare criticize!?

Said in a simpering voice, of course.

This sort of mentality arises from the brainless fear of judging other cultures or nations - as if someone doing so masks some nationalistic arrogance in our own perfection. It demonstrates both a moral and intellectual cowardice in refusing to acknowledge that there is any real standard of expected human behaviour or decency which can be judged. And this attitude is only ever demonstrated towards non-white nations, btw, demonstrating the liberal bigotry of paternalistic low expectations.

I like reading columns which tell me things I didn't know. This one goes far back in history to explain the mess that is Eastern Africa today, and in particular, the continuing terrorism in Kenya and social disintegration in Somalia.

https://quillette.com/2019/02/06/understanding-modern-african-horrors-by-way-of-the-indian-ocean-slave-trade/

4 hours ago, Argus said:

Bullshit answer. Nobody is talking about ignoring our own warts. But the habit of the hand-wringers to bring up this or that former transgression any time someone criticizes what foreign nations are doing NOW serves only one purpose - to excuse what those nations and peoples are doing.

It's "bullshit" not only because of Canada's past, but because of present (not former) inconsistencies and outright support and economic integration with murderous regimes and/or countries with capital punishment (e.g. United States).  

The circus in Venezuela has been highlighted in Canadian media as another example of "spinning wheel" human rights policies:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/canada-venezuela-1.5005571

5 hours ago, Argus said:

Bullshit answer. Nobody is talking about ignoring our own warts. 

Well I said "Canada is also evil" and you said "I hate equivalency shit like this."  So I would say you're ignoring our warts.  Unless you're going to nitpick me to death on my wording I don't know where to go with this.  Or maybe you, me, and BC all agree but you two don't agree with each others' wording, I don't know.

Well I said "Canada is also evil" and you said "I hate equivalency shit like this."  So I would say you're ignoring our warts.  Unless you're going to nitpick me to death on my wording I don't know where to go with this.  Or maybe you, me, and BC all agree but you two don't agree with each others' wording, I don't know.

I suppose it would be like hearing about the Parkland/Las Vegas/Sandy Hook shootings and saying "Canada has mass shootings too".  Canada does, but it's not difficult to see why some might object to a perceived attempt to show equivalency.

Well I said "Canada is also evil"

It's not evil. You're making shit up to excuse the Chinese.

China has gotten a lot more wealthy over the past decades. I wonder what China does with all the money they make on trade agreements with countries like Canada?

2 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

China has gotten a lot more wealthy over the past decades. I wonder what China does with all the money they make on trade agreements with countries like Canada?

Barbed wire, I think...

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Barbed wire, I think...

I hear they're building a big holiday camp for Muslims none of the Left in Canada seems much bothered about.

On 2/10/2019 at 10:29 AM, Argus said:

"Oh well, yes, I know the Chinese slaughtered millions in their cultural revolution and ran over unarmed students protesting for democracy with tanks in Tiananmen Square, and instituted a pogrom in Tibet that put hundreds of thousands of Tibetans up against a wall to be shot and murdered Falun Gong followers to harvest their organs and now have a million Muslims in concentration camps, but well, we had that residential schools thing! Oh me Oh my! How can we dare criticize!?

Said in a simpering voice, of course.

This sort of mentality arises from the brainless fear of judging other cultures or nations - as if someone doing so masks some nationalistic arrogance in our own perfection. It demonstrates both a moral and intellectual cowardice in refusing to acknowledge that there is any real standard of expected human behaviour or decency which can be judged. And this attitude is only ever demonstrated towards non-white nations, btw, demonstrating the liberal bigotry of paternalistic low expectations.

i also don't understand the mentality that goes into that argument - that we're not allowed to say anything if it happened in our past.  That is BS.

Just because you did something wrong in the past doesn't mean you can't advocate against it now.  It doesn't make you a hypocrite.  All it does is invalidate the current mindset.

People are supposed to GROW.  Civilizations are supposed to GROW.

GROWTH as a concept.  Embrace it.

I find a lot of interesting stuff on Quillette. This is about the law society of Ontario morphing into a group of progressive zealots compelling all lawyers to embrace their political and social views or face sanction. And it is written by a self-described progressive lawyer.

One of the listed recommendations was that the Law Society should “require every licensee to adopt and to abide by a statement of principles acknowledging their obligation to promote equality, diversity and inclusion generally, and in their behaviour towards colleagues, employees, clients and the public.” When the Law Society announced this new requirement the following September, its advisory also stated that we Ontario lawyers should “demonstrate a personal valuing” of these principles.

Despite the fact that I always have been a strong advocate for “equality,” this development left me flabbergasted: Our regulator was demanding that lawyers and paralegals draft and then obey a set of specific political ideas—both in their personal and professional lives—as a condition of their license.

https://quillette.com/2019/02/11/how-social-justice-ideologues-hijacked-a-legal-regulator/

Those who have been around a while will recognize the name of the book: The Satanic Verses. But probably know little about it other than the mad Ayatollah Khomeini ordered Salmon Rushdie's death over it. Douglas Murray explains the context and contrasts it with reality in a quite interesting read.

Today is the 30th anniversary of Ayatollah Khomeini’s issue of a fatwa against Salman Rushdie for writing the novel The Satanic Verses. In the run-up to this anniversary there has as usual been much discussion of the controversy, but very little about the novel itself. This is consistent with the pattern of the last three decades. Of the two Satanic Verses that exist – the controversy and the novel – people were always familiar with the former and deeply unclear about the latter. To this day very few people seem interested in what is between the covers of the book that stirred the Ayatollah’s ire.

https://spectator.us/30-years-satanic-verses/

The unbelievable story of how social justice warriors mobbed people on, of all things, knitting sites, because they weren't 'woke' enough.

If you ever questioned the sheer hatefulness, cruelty and viciousness of the social justice types, read this and reconsider.

https://quillette.com/2019/02/17/a-witch-hunt-on-instagram/

The sad, even pathetic state of Americas urban schools is never better described than here. And the ultimate cause? Not broken homes. Not that the kids are idiots. But a complete breakdown of discipline imposed by brainless left wing bureaucrats.

https://quillette.com/2019/02/10/public-educations-dirty-secret/

3 hours ago, Argus said:

Religious fanaticism is not limited to Muslim nations. The Hindus have their share, too, and it's growing under its Hindu nationalist government.

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-47321871

Cow related violence, and a stern faced Cow Protection Group.  If people weren't dying, it would be funny.  Pythonesque.

"Be All You Can Be!  A career in the CPG!"

Edited by bcsapper
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction - Blaise Pascal