Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums

Should Canada suspend relations with China?


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

 There are no trade deals between Canada and China.

Not deals, but there is a major trade relationship existing. The ongoing trade talks are considered quite important by some. Not by me, mind you.
Recently we heard that some Canadian trade missions to China have been cancelled, or at least put on hold due to the Huawei crisis. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The country Justin Trudeau most admires because their basic dictatorship can get things done has just sentenced a human rights lawyer who they disappeared several years ago, to another 4 and a half ye

Purposefully misrepresenting my statement is nothing but trolling.

Should we suspend relations? I mean, it would be their loss, since they're exporting way more to us than the other way around. 

14 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Not deals, but there is a major trade relationship existing. The ongoing trade talks are considered quite important by some. Not by me, mind you.
Recently we heard that some Canadian trade missions to China have been cancelled, or at least put on hold due to the Huawei crisis. 

Trade deals simply reduce tariffs and harmonize regulations, but there's no way of shielding Canada from trade with the second largest economy on earth, there's no relationship other than Canadians choose to buy Chinese made products and sell to the Chinese, despite the tariffs.

Tariffs are just another form of tax, the government taxes the import, but the Chinese don't pay that, the Canadian consumer does when it gets passed through in the price.

Edited by Dougie93
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rue said:

Well since you brought it up,  one can only guess what this "free-school" taught you.

If you are saying it never taught you that you need to pay for things, well yes that does explain it.

 

No, I learned that school was pretty much a waste of time and that the Hell's Angels really weren't that scary - they were the 'security guards' at school. As for paying for things I was out west a few years later logging and fishing and making twice as much as my old man.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

1.) Trade deals simply reduce tariffs and harmonize regulations, but there's no way of shielding Canada from trade with the second largest economy on earth, there's no relationship other than Canadians choose to buy Chinese made products and sell to the Chinese, despite the tariffs.

2.) Tariffs are just another form of tax, the government taxes the import, but the Chinese don't pay that, the Canadian consumer does when it gets passed through in the price.

1.) And what products other than natural resources and some food items does Canada sell to the Chinese? Canada has no "trade deal" with China. The purpose of trading with that country is wage arbitrage, which allows corporations to buy products made by low-wage workers overseas very cheaply and sell them, often at highly inflated prices, to North American consumers. And Canadians are doubly screwed by this. My sister who lives in the U.S. can often buy the same Chinese-produced gadgets for about two-thirds of what we have to pay, even after taking the currency exchange into account.

3.) Globalized trade functions as a gigantic corporate skimming scheme. Consumers in Canada only get the benefit of a tiny fraction of the wage arbitrage savings. If you don't understand this, you don't understand how corporate globalization actually works.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, turningrite said:

1.) And what products other than natural resources and some food items does Canada sell to the Chinese? Canada has no "trade deal" with China. The purpose of trading with that country is wage arbitrage, which allows corporations to buy products made by low-wage workers overseas very cheaply and sell them, often at highly inflated prices, to North American consumers. And Canadians are doubly screwed by this. My sister who lives in the U.S. can often buy the same Chinese-produced gadgets for about two-thirds of what we have to pay, even after taking the currency exchange into account.

3.) Globalized trade functions as a gigantic corporate skimming scheme. Consumers in Canada only get the benefit of a tiny fraction of the wage arbitrage savings. If you don't understand this, you don't understand how corporate globalization actually works.

The purpose of a corporation is to make money for its shareholders.  Nothing more.  Not one thing more.

As a corporate shareholder, I want my money, and I buy and sell as I please barring a declaration of war under the Hague Convention. 

Tariffs are irrelevant. Go ahead and tariff, doesn't stop us, doesn't even slow us down.  It's not a barrier to trade its just another nanny police state tax on behalf of entrenched interests.

If Canada cannot understand how that works,  not my problem. /shrugs

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, turningrite said:

3.) Globalized trade functions as a gigantic corporate skimming scheme. Consumers in Canada only get the benefit of a tiny fraction of the wage arbitrage savings. If you don't understand this, you don't understand how corporate globalization actually works.

You figured this out all on your own?  And it only took you 25 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Tariffs are irrelevant. Go ahead and tariff, doesn't stop us, doesn't even slow us down.

It's true, the only way to properly regulate a global economy is with a global government.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The flaw in your assertions is that globalization is not a scheme, it is simply the collapse of the Iron and Bamboo curtains opening the other half of the world up to trade.

Skimming is just another word for profit.  

No scheme, just profiting from the collapse of artificial barriers.

Canadian wannabe commies would like to try to construct their own Iron Curtain?

Do what you want,  we can't stop you from cutting your own throats, nor do we care to, because Canada is a Nothing Burger.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

World Socialist Revolution?

Well at least you have the courage of your communist convictions.

Good luck with that.

The Ultimate Zombie Confederation of people who don't have the same interests, what could possibly go wrong? All the problems of Canadian Confederation, but on steroids.

Edited by Yzermandius19
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Yzermandius19 said:

The Ultimate Zombie Confederation of people who don't have the same interests, what could possibly go wrong?

Thankfully the fate of the Zombie Confederation is entirely in the hands of the Americans.  And they don't cotton that sort of thing round here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, eyeball said:

No thanks, just a human revolution will do.  I suspect corporations will evolve into something much like the Borg in retaliation.

Human wide revolution against the corporations, sounds like the World Socialist Revolution to me, just with a brand name that has less baggage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, eyeball said:

No thanks, just a human revolution will do.  I suspect corporations will evolve into something much like the Borg in retaliation.

Oh, spoke to soon.   You don't have the courage of your convictions after all

Without a Red Army, One World Government Kumbaya,  is hung from the proverbial lampposts with ease.  Thank goodness.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Human wide revolution against the corporations, sounds like the World Socialist Revolution to me, just with a brand name that has less baggage.

Sounds like an ordinary socio-economic reset to me. The wealthy and powerful always seem to forget that social welfare is for their benefit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Oh, spoke to soon.   You don't have the courage of your convictions after all

Without a Red Army, One World Government Kumbaya,  is hung from the proverbial lampposts with ease.  Thank goodness.

The last attempt at a World Socialist Revolution had a far greater chance of success, and they didn't stand a chance either. The One World Government Kumbaya types need more than good luck without the military force to back it up, they'll need a mind control device to pull that off, speaking of The Borg. Ah, but wait, The Borg did have the military to back it up, back to the drawing board I guess.

Edited by Yzermandius19
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, eyeball said:

Sounds like an ordinary socio-economic reset to me. The wealthy and powerful always seem to forget that social welfare is for their benefit.

Plenty of social welfare being paid for, my effective marginal tax rate, federal, provincial, municipal, exceeds 50%, which is confiscatory.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, eyeball said:

No your knee just jerked before you had time to think about anything else.  

You invoked a one world government to overthrow private wealth and power, Duck Test; World Socialist Revolution.

If you are going to quail because you are too bourgeois to stomach the liquidation of the counterrevolutionaries,  fine by me, since I am one of those counterrevolutionaries.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Plenty of social welfare being paid for, my effective marginal tax rate, federal, provincial, municipal, exceeds 50%, which is confiscatory.

 

Those who want to take from the wealthy and powerful to fund their "social welfare" always seem to forget that taxes on the wealthy and powerful are too damn high already. If you want to fund your social welfare at all, you need the tax money of the wealthy and powerful, but if you strangle the golden goose, then you'll run out of "social welfare" real quick.

Edited by Yzermandius19
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Yzermandius19 said:

The last attempt at a World Socialist Revolution had a far greater chance of success, and they didn't stand a chance either. They'll need more than good luck, they'll need a mind control device to pull that off, speaking of the Borg.

Yes lets speak of the Borg for a moment.  Anyone else notice how much importance the Borg and the American Zombie Confederation place on the importance of assimilating everyone into a single pot?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, eyeball said:

No, I invoked it to regulate the economy.  Stop paying attention to your stupid knee for a moment.

Invoking it to regulate the economy sounds like World Socialist Revolution to me. Not knee-jerk, just the duck test.

A one world government would do an even worse job regulating the economy than nation states already do, all you'd be doing is concentrating power in the one world government which would make it even easier for the wealthy and powerful to buy off, since they'd only have to bribe one government instead of hundreds of national governments with competing interests.

The road to the World Socialist Revolution is paved with bodies of those supporting it out of "good intentions", I'd watch your step if I were you. Having good intentions won't save you from the negative outcomes of a One World Government.

Edited by Yzermandius19
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Invoking it to regulate the economy sounds like World Socialist Revolution to me. Not knee-jerk, just the duck test.

It's classic Eskimo Communism; prohibition masquerading as "regulation" for the purposes of propping Eskimo Communism up.

Self Licking Ice Cream Cone, anyone?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Announcements




×
×
  • Create New...