Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums
Iznogoud

What is Wrong With the United State?

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

 

Yes...worrying.    Observing America is one of Canada's national past times.  Enjoy the show.

Still looking for the birth certificate? Chuckle 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:15 PM, Dougie93 said:

And furthermore, Canadians, their central erased, do not have a grasp of British North America's relationship to either revolution, such as how Canada wasn't settled by the United Kingdom Canada was settled by Americans and Canadians are Americans, or how Canada was vehemently on the side of the Confederacy and allowed them to operate against the Union from here and then when they lost many of them fled here and lived under Canada's protection.

Okay no.  You need to learn Canadian history.  Upper Canada and New Brunswick had Loyalist "American" early settlement.  Quite simply, until the Revolution there was no U.S..  It was all New England, the 13 Colonies plus Newfoundland, Nova Scotia (including the rest of English Acadia, such as current New Brunswick), plus all of the French settlement in New France (Quebec) and French Acadia (Cape Breton, PEI).  Nova Scotia, which included New Brunswick, had been settled well before the Revolution.  It started off mostly under the control of France.  Annapolis Royal in Nova Scotia was taken by the Brits in the early 1700's before the French Acadians moved their new capital to Louisburg (which become one of the largest ports in North America) and the Brits established Halifax in the mid-1700's.  By the time of the American Revolution, there had been long established settlements, English and French, all through the Maritimes and Quebec.  New Brunswick was carved out of Nova Scotia as a new territory for settlement by United Empire Loyalists in the 1790's.  There were many French and English already there.  Present day Ontario was carved out of the old New France (Quebec) and became Upper Canada when it was established by United Empire Loyalists.  Most of the settlement of all of these territories in the 19th century came from overseas, such as from England, Ireland, Scotland, Germany, Holand and Scandinavian countries.  Manitoba's early settlers were Metis (a mix of French and Indian) and a mix of all of the other groups mentioned.  British Columbia and later the Prairies, were settled by all of these and other groups.  I don't know who's writing your posts (BC_2004?) or someone else, but any Canadians who have learned the history, which is most, would know that your claim is way off base.

Edited by Zeitgeist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is all social history, which is what is used by the public school system to erase the central narrative of Canadian history, for the purposes of propping up  a nanny socialist welfare gulag which was never the purpose of Confederation, but so long Canadians do not know the purpose of things, they do not have the central narrative and so can be brainwashed in essence into believing that this is how Canada was supposed to be and how it has to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

...  I don't know who's writing your posts (BC_2004?) or someone else, but any Canadians who have learned the history, which is most, would know that your claim is way off base.

 

Why would I be writing another member's posts ???

The history of the United States are Canada are intertwined...which has also led to "problems".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

 

Why would I be writing another member's posts ???

The history of the United States are Canada are intertwined...which has also led to "problems".

Canada really just being a cause and effect reaction to the evolution of the American republic.

George Washington at Jumonville Glenn incites Wolfe at Quebec.

George Washington at the Potomac incites the United Empire Loyalists.

James Madison at the Heights of Queenston incites "Canadian"

The Fenians at Ridgeway incites "Canada"

FDR comes to the aid in the darkest hour,  and from there to the United Kingdom - United States Security Agreement, where we are now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

Canada really just being a cause and effect reaction to the evolution of the American republic.

George Washington at Jumonville Glenn incites Wolfe at Quebec.

George Washington at the Potomac incites the United Empire Loyalists.

James Madison at the Heights of Queenston incites "Canadian"

The Fenians at Ridgeway incites "Canada"

FDR comes to the aid in the darkest hour,  and from there to the United Kingdom - United States Security Agreement, where we are now.

 

You only see Canada in relation to the US.  There's a lot more to it than that.  Again, if you learned the history in depth you'd know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

You only see Canada in relation to the US.  There's a lot more to it than that.  Again, if you learned the history in depth you'd know.

Social history is a canard, all that matters is the central narrative to know the story of your people and in that your core values and unassailable principles.

Canadian history is American history, Canada is simply a footnote and accident of poor military planning on the part of the Madison Administration.

Confederation is an aborted failed state military alliance which doesn't now, never has, and isn't going to fulfill its purposes, and is as such at this point simply a zombie being held up to a gullible public as a rubric to justify rent seeking corporate welfare.

The rest is just Cultural Marxist Eskimo Communism fed to the rubes by the CBC propganda arm of the aforementioned  Liberal Party of Canada nanny socialist welfare gulag.

Canada is not the light of civilization as we know it, Canada simply lives in its glow and by its leave, propped up by it in fact, because obviously no serious real country can cripple itself for the purposes of Eskimo Communism, only a silly fake country colony can do that.

Edited by Dougie93

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Social history is a canard, all that matters is the central narrative to know the story of your people and in that your core values and unassailable principles.

Canadian history is American history, Canada is simply a footnote and accident of poor military planning on the part of the Madison Administration.

Confederation is an aborted failed state military alliance which doesn't now, never has, and isn't going to fulfill its purposes, and is as such at this point simply a zombie being held up to a gullible public as a rubric to justify rent seeking corporate welfare.

The rest is just Cultural Marxist Eskimo Communism fed to the rubes by the CBC propganda arm of the aforementioned  Liberal Party of Canada nanny socialist welfare gulag.

Canada is not the light of civilization as we know it, Canada simply lives in its glow and by its leave, propped up by it in fact, because obviously no serious real country can cripple itself for the purposes of Eskimo Communism, only a silly fake country colony can do that.

The more I read your Red Menace, might is right unipolar world view, especially with regard to Canada’s complex history, the more assured I am about the health and value of Canadian society.  Hardly a nanny state, Canada has struck an effective balance between American and European policy approaches.  We have problems like every country, including America, but they’re our problems.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zeitgeist said:

The more I read your Red Menace, might is right unipolar world view, especially with regard to Canada’s complex history, the more assured I am about the health and value of Canadian society.  Hardly a nanny state, Canada has struck an effective balance between American and European policy approaches.  We have problems like every country, including America, but they’re our problems.  

Hardly might makes right me, Creator endowed human rights by classically liberal limited government conservatism, is the opposite of might makes right.

Canadian "society" is another one of those fallacies the Liberal Party of Canada and associated CBC propaganda arm refers to itself as "the society"

Eskimo Communism is working well, comrades,  rejoice at the coming of the Nanny Socialist Welfare Paradise!

Who knew?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

Hardly might makes right me, Creator endowed human rights by classically liberal limited government conservatism, is the opposite of might makes right.

Canadian "society" is another one of those fallacies the Liberal Party of Canada and associated CBC propaganda arm refers to itself as "the society"

Eskimo Communism is working well, comrades,  rejoice at the coming of the Nanny Socialist Welfare Paradise!

Who knew?

Nobody knew.  They still don’t know.  You keep trying to tell them though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, obviously most Canadians have been indoctrinated thoroughly by the state, and the Liberals have been indoctrinated to the point of totalitarianism; cannot distinguish between themselves and their state.  

So convincing the masses would not be efficient.  

Luckily Confederation itself has a fatal flaw in the mechanism and so can be brought down by asymmetrical means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is wrong with the United States Part 3

This post is a bit more general and focuses on several problems with American society.

The first is that in spite of being the most technologically advanced society on the planet, may Americans are highly conservative.  It is something of a paradox that while most Americans rush to accept new technology and have a very high level of freedoms they resist changes that most of the world has already adopted.  The most obvious is the resistance to the International System of measurement (SI).  Currently the USA is one of only three nations that has not made this system its official system of measurement.  This results in most Americans using their version of the awkward and difficult to learn Imperial System, a system of measurement that was created in pre-industrial times.  I have yet to meet anyone who uses the Imperial System that is fully conversant with all of its complicated measurements.  Not only is the system awkward to use, but it forces many Americans to learn a second system of measurement if they want to go into the sciences.

The second is military spending.  60 odd years ago Eisenhower warned of the dangers of the military industrial complex.  He was ignored.  As a result the US spends vast amounts on its military, far outspending any of its supposed rivals.  This is money that essentially does not help the economy to grow; creates jobs only in a limited area; and pulls necessary funding away from areas that would be of much greater benefit to the majority of the population.

The third is a lack of infrastructure spending.  It is notable that part of Trump's campaign platform was the improvement of the US's failing infrastructure.  Currently the US requires massive spending to upgrade and repair its road system; repair the tens of thousands of dams; repair numerous bridges; and fix huge numbers of other problems including electrical infrastructure.

Fourth, the US lags in modern transport systems.  Japan developed high speed rail six decades ago, and Europe has followed suit with high speed rail lines connecting much of Western Europe.  Currently China is jumping into the high speed rail game with thousands of kilometers of track visualized.  However, in the US the best that can be manged is a passenger rail system that can only be described as mediocre at best. 

In short, the US seems to be conceding world leadership in many areas that it once led.  This is unfortunate as the US has the potential to solve all of the above problems, but seems to lack the will. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2019 at 9:40 AM, Boges said:

What's a concern about this administration and American politics in general. Is that they're so polarized now that drastic measures like Government Shutdowns and Declarations of Emergency are being thought of as tools to pass run-of-the-mill legislation. 

It would be like if a Canadian PM threatened to use the War Measures Act every time it had trouble passing legislation. 

You don't demonstrate a basic knowledge of how the U.S. government works. Presidents don't have "emergency powers" as they do in some other democracies. This isn't Star Wars episode II after all. We don't vote emergency powers to the president. Congress (not the president) can suspend habeas corpus, IF and ONLY IF the United States is in imminent danger of invasion or rebellion. Flip through the constitution, you'll find nothing about emergency powers like that.

As I understand it, the Canadian PM usually doesn't have much "trouble" passing legislation. The parliamentary system relies on force, whereas a presidential system requires compromise. Your PM has weapons at his disposal the likes of which even Richard Nixon could only dream.

Presidents do have a lot of power, but the constitution denies him the authority to actually legislate. He can propose legislation (recommend to Congress measures for their consideration). He can influence the legislative process somewhat. He can approve legislation, or even prevent it from coming into being via the veto (which Congress can override by 2/3 vote btw.) But he cannot ever, ever MAKE the law or dictate legislation. Anything he recommends to congress can come back to his desk completely changed by Congress, even when both houses are from the same party as the president. It's called separation of powers and it's done like that for a good reason. He's called the president--and not the Supreme Chancellor--for a reason.

I think some of you need to do a little more research on the United States and its government. You mentioned some facts, but you don't have it quite right.

Edited by JamesHackerMP
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2019 at 9:06 PM, Iznogoud said:

 The most obvious is the resistance to the International System of measurement (SI).  Currently the USA is one of only three nations that has not made this system its official system of measurement. 
 

 

The US actually helped to design SI units of measure, and later adopted/rejected the system from mandatory to optional.

Official or not, many other nations continue to use Imperial units in commerce and daily interactions, like Canada, famously mocked in this MLW thread and YouTube video from two Canadian women:

https://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/topic/20412-metrication-canada-how-is-it-working/

 

 

 

Quote

In short, the US seems to be conceding world leadership in many areas that it once led.  This is unfortunate as the US has the potential to solve all of the above problems, but seems to lack the will. 

 

Why is this unfortunate ?     Do other nationals want the United States to lead in such areas forever, fearing the Chinese or Japanese ?

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Official or not, many other nations continue to use Imperial units in commerce and daily interactions, like Canada, famously mocked in this MLW thread and YouTube video from two Canadian women:

Yes, that is one of the unfortunate side-effects of being next to the US.  Many Canadians are equally conservative, but at least the imperial system is no longer taught in schools.  In fact almost every Canadian I have quizzed on the Imperial System knows only the most basic of measurements, such as weight and distance.  They know nothing of the complex and awkward measurements I was forced to learn.  Rods or chains anyone?

Why is this unfortunate ?     Do other nationals want the United States to lead in such areas forever, fearing the Chinese or Japanese ?  

The thread is not about China or Japan.  It is unfortunate because it means that the US will continue to lag behind many other nations in basic infrastructure; even being outpaced by nations it once led so it is unfortunate for Americans, not anyone else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Iznogoud said:

Yes, that is one of the unfortunate side-effects of being next to the US.  Many Canadians are equally conservative, but at least the imperial system is no longer taught in schools.  In fact almost every Canadian I have quizzed on the Imperial System knows only the most basic of measurements, such as weight and distance.  They know nothing of the complex and awkward measurements I was forced to learn.  Rods or chains anyone?

 

Has nothing to do with being conservative, and everything to do with practical matters.    For example, Canada is still party to an allied aviation specification requiring fasteners to be Imperial units.   Americans routinely switch between Imperial and SI...like when buying weed !

 

Quote

  The thread is not about China or Japan.  It is unfortunate because it means that the US will continue to lag behind many other nations in basic infrastructure; even being outpaced by nations it once led so it is unfortunate for Americans, not anyone else. 

 

Right...because nations like Canada also have bullet trains....so advanced !

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

 

Has nothing to do with being conservative, and everything to do with practical matters.    For example, Canada is still party to an allied aviation specification requiring fasteners to be Imperial units.   Americans routinely switch between Imperial and SI...like when buying weed !

 

 

Right...because nations like Canada also have bullet trains....so advanced !

I believe if you bothered to read my OP that I stated that other nations have some of these problems as well.  But the thread is not about Canada or any other nation, it is about the nation that believes itself to be the model of civilization while other nations have long passed it by, and while its closest rival is gaining on it with astonishing speed.  This has happened before.  The UK sat on its laurels while both the US and Germany passed it by at the turn of the 20th Century. 

BTW feel free to begin  a "What is Wrong With Canada?" thread.  You'd probably find that I would agree with you on a number of points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Iznogoud said:

I believe if you bothered to read my OP that I stated that other nations have some of these problems as well.  But the thread is not about Canada or any other nation, it is about the nation that believes itself to be the model of civilization while other nations have long passed it by, and while its closest rival is gaining on it with astonishing speed.  This has happened before.  The UK sat on its laurels while both the US and Germany passed it by at the turn of the 20th Century.

 

What ?   This doesn't even make any sense.   All those other nations have lost population to emigres who have fled to the USA....#1 destination in the world.   I guess bullet trains did not impress them very much.

 

Quote

BTW feel free to begin  a "What is Wrong With Canada?" thread.  You'd probably find that I would agree with you on a number of points.

 

Don't care if you agree or not....you are wrong on many points...in this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

 

What ?   This doesn't even make any sense.   All those other nations have lost population to emigres who have fled to the USA....#1 destination in the world.   I guess bullet trains did not impress them very much.

 

 

Don't care if you agree or not....you are wrong on many points...in this thread.

Except that despite your trolling you have failed to refute a single point.  All you have managed to do is note that some nations have similar problems, which disproves nothing in my OP.  You appear like many Americans to be adopting a stick your head in the sand attitude. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Iznogoud said:

Except that despite your trolling you have failed to refute a single point.  All you have managed to do is note that some nations have similar problems, which disproves nothing in my OP.  You appear like many Americans to be adopting a stick your head in the sand attitude. 

 

If such matters are so common, then they are not problems at all.   Not once in my life have I lamented the lack of a "bullet train".   Is my life in America less because of this gaping transportation void ?    I guess I will just have to fly on modern turbofan powered aircraft...such a hardship !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zeitgeist said:

It’s all global theatre now.  Look to the stars.  Next stop Mars...

 

Must be yet another U.S. problem....not living on Mars yet.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

 

Must be yet another U.S. problem....not living on Mars yet.  

Hadn’t thought of it that way.  Might be a business case for that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...