Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums
QuebecOverCanada

NHL General Thread

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

That's the real Harold Ballard Disease. I don't blame Ballard for exploiting it for his own game, doing anything else would be hating money. It worked a lot better at winning championships when there was only six teams in NHL, post-expansion, not so much, who knew?

But now that the NHL has a hard cap, handing out 11 million dollar contracts really doesn't get you any closer to the cup, the teams are mostly interchangeable now, it really does just come down to whose goalies get hot or not now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

But now that the NHL has a hard cap, handing out 11 million dollar contracts really doesn't get you any closer to the cup, the teams are mostly interchangeable now, it really does just come down to whose goalies get hot or not now.

True, but having players who would be worth handing out 11 million dollar contracts to does get you closer to the cup. If you can pay them Volkswagen money, then you're really set to open up a contention window where a hot goalie can win you that cup.

Shout out to Nathan MacKinnon, a Cadillac making Volkswagen money.

Edited by Yzermandius19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Yzermandius19 said:

True, but having players who would be worth handing out 11 million dollar contracts to does get you closer to the cup. If you can pay them Volkswagen money, then you're really set to open up a contention window where a hot goalie can win you that cup.

Shout out to Nathan MacKinnon, a Cadillac making Volkswagen money.

Well, the Leafs have too many rich contracts then, so Marner is gonna have to go, he's the one holding the bag, and he wanted it that way, he wanted to go last, he wanted to play haedball, so now he's painted himself into a corner, Nylander and Matthews beat him to the punch, so now Marner is gonna get screwed, one way, or the other,  because I don't think he wants to leave Toronto, and I think he will lose so much endorsement money then, it will offset any gains from the NHL contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Well, the Leafs have too many rich contracts then, so Marner is gonna have to go, he's the one holding the bag, and he wanted it that way, he wanted to go last, he wanted to play haedball, so now he's painted himself into a corner, Nylander and Matthews beat him to the punch, so now Marner is gonna get screwed, one way, or the other,  because I don't think he wants to leave Toronto, and I think he will lose so much endorsement money then, it will offset any gains from the NHL contract.

Siding with Nylander over Marner is foolish. How about Nylander has to go? Screwing a guy just because he didn't want to sign before Nylander even when he's way better is just silly. Just wait until Nylander hits a hot streak and trade him, don't sell low.

Making Marner last man out, just because he's the last to sign is not logical. You don't throw superior players under the bus because you overpaid lesser players and don't want to admit to that mistake, so you make an even bigger mistake. That's how you don't win.

Edited by Yzermandius19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Siding with Nylander over Marner is foolish. How about Nylander has to go? Screwing a guy just because he didn't want to sign before Nylander even when he's way better is just silly. Just wait until Nylander hits a hot streak and trade him, don't sell low.

Making Marner last man out, just because he's the last to sign is not logical. You don't throw superior players under the bus because you overpaid lesser players and don't want to admit to that mistake, so you make an even bigger mistake. That's how you don't win.

Nah, Nylander is under contract, Marner is the one holding out, the one who gets run out of town is the one holding the bag, also Nylander is a better deal, Marner isn't going to score that many more points than Nylander to make it worth another 5 million cap hit.   WIlly can put up 70 or so points, not worth 5 million for 20 more points from Marner.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Nah, Nylander is under contract, Marner is the one holding out, the one who gets run out of town is the one holding the bag, also Nylander is a better deal, Marner isn't going to score that many more points than Nylander to make it worth another 5 million cap hit.   WIlly can put up 70 or so points, not worth 5 million for 20 more points from Marner.

 

Marner ain't going to cost that much more. He'll take a slight hit for a shorter deal, especially if he takes a bridge. Also Nylander hasn't put up 70 points yet, and Marner could put up more than 94 points going forward. Marner is younger and better, Marner is improving faster, Marner can drive a line, Nylander can't.

Move Nylander if it's one or the other.

Edited by Yzermandius19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Yzermandius19 said:

Marner ain't going to cost that much more. He'll take a slight hit for a shorter deal, especially if he takes a bridge. Also Nylander hasn't put up 70 points yet, and Marner could put up more than 94 points going forward. Marner is younger and better, Nylander is the guy to move.

If Marner signs a bridge for 9.5, that's about what he's worth, if he insists on 11.6 with no UFA years, run him out of town on a rail, after he misses the whole season of course, hardball for hardball, first lock him out for the whole year, then trade him at your leisure after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

If Marner signs a bridge for 9.5, that's about what he's worth, if he insists on 11.6 with no UFA years, run him out of town on a rail, after he misses the whole season of course, hardball for hardball, first lock him out for the whole year, then trade him at your leisure after.

He'll take 10.5 with no UFA years, $11 million at most, he might even take $9.5 or $10 million, if you give him the 5 years.

The slightest of overpays by $500k to $1.5 million at most, is not worth running a guy of Marner's caliber out of town over. Be real.

Edited by Yzermandius19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Yzermandius19 said:

He'll take 10.5 with no UFA years, $11 million at most. The slightest of overpays by $1 million to $1.5 million is not worth running a guy out of town over.

10.5 and not a penny more, if he insists on more, lock him out, lock him out, lock him out. . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

10.5 and not a penny more, if he insists on more, lock him out, lock him out, lock him out. . .

So it's worth locking him out over $500k? Totally disagree, if he wants Matthews money and term, then he's being unreasonable, everything below $11 million is within reason. If Marner turns down $11 million over 5 years, then it's lock him out time, that would not be Shanahan's fault at all.

Aho taking $8.4 million to make sure he got 5 years, probably lowered the price below $11 million anyway, so if Marner is taking 10.5 or less, and Shanahan refuses to give him five years, time to run Sheriff Shanny out of town.

Edited by Yzermandius19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Yzermandius19 said:

So it's worth locking him out over $500k? Totally disagree, if he wants Matthews money and term, then he's being unreasonable, everything below $11 million is within reason.

Totally worth it.  Panarin got 11.6 as a UFA, but now Marner gets 11 as an RFA?

The owners have to hold the line here, these RFA's need to get locked out.  Not just Marner, all these uppity RFA's need to be broken.  Call it the lockout before the lockout, it's a pre lockout lockout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm looking at 2015 NHL Draft right now, and just realized the Bruins passed on Mathew Barzal, Kyle Connor and Thomas Chabot to take Jakub Zboril, Jake DeBrusk and Zachary Senyshyn.



The Bruins could have been the muthaf*ckin sh*t right now, but instead they are just another contender and their window is nearly closed or already closed, womp womp.

It's like they were trying to fail at the 2015 Draft, look how many teams knocked it out of the park, in an epic draft, and the Bruins miss that hard when they had three mid-first round picks, unbelievable. Bunch of losers.

Edited by Yzermandius19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

I'm looking at 2015 NHL Draft right now, and just realized the Bruins passed on Mathew Barzal, Kyle Connor and Thomas Chabot to take Jakub Zboril, Jake DeBrusk and Zachary Senyshyn. The Bruins could have been the muthaf*ckin sh*t right now, but instead they are just another contender who's window is nearly closed or already closed, womp womp.

That was bizarre in real time, because they took them all in a row, 13th, 14th, 15th.

The Leafs also picked Dermott at 34th, right before Sebastien Aho was taken at 35th, Hunter Hockey Genius.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

That was bizarre in real time, because they took them all in a row, 13th, 14th, 15th.

The Leafs also picked Dermott at 34th, right before Sebastien Aho was taken at 35th, Hunter Hockey Genius.

When Boston got burned that bad, that's got to soften the blow a little. Schadenfreude will sustain you.

No matter how badly the Leafs or Avs do in future drafts, it will pale in comparison to Boston in 2015.

Edited by Yzermandius19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Yzermandius19 said:

When Boston got burned that bad, that's got to soften the blow a little. Schadenfreude will sustain you.

The Leafs don't have the cap room for Aho anyways, there's only so many superstars for each team, the salary cap is a zero sum game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

The Leafs don't have the cap room for Aho anyways, there's only so many superstars for each team, the salary cap is a zero sum game.

The NHL should do a luxury tax instead, hard cap is lame, soft cap is best of both worlds. The NBA knows.

The Leafs would be the biggest beneficiary of such a change too.

Edited by Yzermandius19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

The NHL should do a luxury tax instead, hard cap is lame, soft cap is best of both worlds. The NBA knows.

The Leafs would be the biggest beneficiary of such a change too.

Same thing would happen as now, the players on the Leafs would just demand more than the players on the other teams, so it would be a wash.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dougie93 said:

Same thing would happen as now, the players on the Leafs would just demand more than the players on the other teams, so it would be a wash.

 

Well that would negate some of the benefit, but not all of it. The Leafs could still afford to spend more than anyone else and could loot the cheap teams, so wouldn't be a wash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why the Leafs should make an example of Marner, break him, force him to sign the offer sheet, or lock him out indefinitely and stop negotiating with him,  they just demand more from the Leafs because they know the other teams wont pay, but they think the Leafs have to pay, the Leafs should nip that in the bud right now, f*ck Paul Marner, lock her up, lock her up, lock her up. . .

Edited by Dougie93

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

This is why the Leafs should make an example of Marner, break him, force him to sign the offer sheet, or lock him out indefinitely and stop negotiating with him,  they just demand more from the Leafs because they know the other teams wont pay, but they think the Leafs have to pay, the Leafs should nip that in the bud right now, f*ck Paul Marner, lock her up, lock her up, lock her up. . .

Should have made an example out of Tavares, he's the one driving the inflation of the top Leafs relative to the rest of the league. Because they didn't though, they might run Marner out of town. 

Womp womp. Told you the Leafs were shortening their contention window by signing him, they went from a long term contender for like a decade, to being a win now team that needs to win within 3-5 years of signing Johnny T.

Edited by Yzermandius19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why I think Shanny is on the warpath, he works for the owners and the owners don't like that Marner is saying other teams comps don't matter, they should say take it or leave it, sign the offer sheet if you don't like it, but not only will we lock you out this year, you won't play in the NHL again, unless you sign that offer sheet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

This is why I think Shanny is on the warpath, he works for the owners and the owners don't like that Marner is saying other teams comps don't matter, they should say take it or leave it, sign the offer sheet if you don't like it, but not only will we lock you out this year, you won't play in the NHL again, unless you sign that offer sheet.

Marner is only saying that because it will get him paid more to do so, it's not like he isn't going to budge and only be willing to settle for comparables who only play for the Leafs, he's just making sure he has to budge less than he would if he didn't play it this way.

Edited by Yzermandius19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Should have made an example out of Tavares, he's the one driving the inflation of the top Leafs relative to the rest of the league. Because they didn't though, they might run Marner out of town. 

Womp womp. Told you the Leafs were shortening their contention window by signing him, they went from a long term contender for like a decade, to being a win now team that needs to win within 3-5 years of signing Johnny T.

Take it out on Marner, lock him out and leave him no choice but to sign the offer sheet, problem solved.

Edited by Dougie93

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Take it out on Marner, lock him out and leave him no choice but to sign the offer sheet, problem solved.

Take it out on less important players than Marner, pick your battles better.
Take it out on Tavares and trade him coming off a career year, would be a better idea.
Take it out on Nylander when he gets on a hot streak and trade him, would be a better idea.
The best idea is to take it out on the Kapanen, Johnsson, Kerfoot and Ceci's of the team.

Edited by Yzermandius19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...