Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums
Argus

Jane Philpott resigns

Recommended Posts

He's hunkering down and riding it out...  big campaign style speech tonight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rue said:

Well not Seamus and Bill. They are tight with Justin. Real tight.

Considering what Billie had to say tonight about the resignation, you are right.  He'll sink with the ship.  He really has nothing to lose.  If he isn't re-elected he can always retire to his mansion in Europe and drink wine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Mr. Dressup has the mental capacity of a pre-teen - well even that is an insult to the average 10 year old.  Watching him stumble through just about every task since being elected has been painful, not to mention embarrassing in the extreme.  The collective arrogance and ignorance of the PMO, CPC but most of all the backroom and the LPC itself is what needs to go down for the count.  A grand total of two former cabinet ministers with some sense of ethics and justice is not enough to rescue Canada from Desmerais et al.   Worse yet, Mr. Dressup and his Butts have stacked the front bench with a fair portion of complete idiots - which takes the spotlight off of the genuine criminal offenses that have become standard practice in dealing with the friends of the LPC backroom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

Trudeau has taken a big hit, but where else are the bourgeois urbane lefties going to go?

Liberals are not "lefties".

Principled people can go GREEN. 

We all need to.

The corrupted Liberal and Conservative Parties are just more of the same old payoffs and destructive industries.

Edited by jacee
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, cannuck said:

 

Mr. Dressup has the mental capacity of a pre-teen - well even that is an insult to the average 10 year old.  Watching him stumble through just about every task since being elected has been painful, not to mention embarrassing in the extreme.  The collective arrogance and ignorance of the PMO, CPC but most of all the backroom and the LPC itself is what needs to go down for the count.  A grand total of two former cabinet ministers with some sense of ethics and justice is not enough to rescue Canada from Desmerais et al.   Worse yet, Mr. Dressup and his Butts have stacked the front bench with a fair portion of complete idiots - which takes the spotlight off of the genuine criminal offenses that have become standard practice in dealing with the friends of the LPC backroom.

You could say all of that about the Conservatives too. I think that's why Scheer is pretty quiet on this issue: He knows pressure and corruption is the Conservative way too. He may not have any MP's ethical enough to buck the pressure and resign over the corruption, though. Lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jacee said:

You could say all of that about the Conservatives too. I think that's why Scheer is pretty quiet on this issue: He knows pressure and corruption is the Conservative way too. He may not have any MP's ethical enough to buck the pressure and resign over the corruption, though. Lol 

We know pressure has  been applied to the Conservatives, but the incidents of corruption are few and far between.  Yes, Mike Stuffie scamming his expense account did happen, but name ANY company or group that has the "Conservative" party/parties in their back pocket in the way that Desmarais/Chretien/Power Corp, Bombardier!!, Irving, Segram/Bronfmann/Kolber, CSL/Martin and a few others do.  Think about that:  the list of things Power and Bombardier have done within and outside of the law to gain financially from influence and interference would fill ten books.  Seagram made all of its initial money as criminals running rum (the equivalent of drug cartells today) and do not hesitate to do things to this very day that often colour outside of the lines.  Remember Adscam?   Martin would like you to forget, as would Chretien and the golf course deal.  And when it comes to the left side of this VERY left of center party, it is really important to remember what Ralph Goodale did to very, very illegally put and keep Andy McMechan in jail when no crime had been comitted because it threatened one of the institutions of the Liberal left - the Canadian Wheat Board.   Part of LPC modus operandi for a century has been to use their influence and interference in regulatory, legislative, civil and even criminal procedings for the benefit of their back room.

Now, show me the Conservative ones.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see an outbreak of integrity in the Liberal Party tho, if on a somewhat limited scale, it is a bit worrying as Liberal integrity and honesty, or lack thereof, was the conservatives largest asset

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say that king trudeau walks away with just a slap on the wrist. Has the king resigned yet? Nope, and that to me says it all. Even tequilla Sheila Copps came out today from where she has been hiding in her closet for all these years in Mexico and is defending trudeau. Probably got her villa from one of the many crooked deals that she got involved in with some big wig liberal in the past. Go figure. The liberals are now in damage mode. No damage really done. Just the usual corruption and bribery that has been going on in Canada for decades now.

Does anyone here think that things will change? It can if Canadians start to give a dam. But they won't. Canadians like to talk the talk but never do the walk. How many here will go out and demonstrate over what trudeau has done and is involved with and demonstrate? I say no one here will. Even I won't because I know that it will all be a waste of time. Just saying. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, mowich said:

I'm wondering, in spite of her show of support last week, if Freeland may not be having second thoughts.  She's a smart cookie and can see which way the wind is blowing.  If there is indeed a crisis in cabinet and after such a high-profile resignation based on a principled stand, those left standing with their leader could very well fall with him too and for such a shameful reason.

She is all naked ambition. Her suckholing towards Trudeau could not have been more obvious, and it has, in the eyes of some people, really lowered the respect they had for her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2019 at 8:01 AM, cannuck said:

We know pressure has  been applied to the Conservatives, but the incidents of corruption are few and far between.  Yes, Mike Stuffie scamming his expense account did happen, but name ANY company or group that has the "Conservative" party/parties in their back pocket in the way that Desmarais/Chretien/Power Corp, Bombardier!!, Irving, Segram/Bronfmann/Kolber, CSL/Martin and a few others do.  Think about that:  the list of things ...

Now, show me the Conservative ones.

I am not a fan of either party. I believe they both have cozy and corrupt relations with business and industry - esp Quebec and Alberta.

We all know the Conservatives cater to big oil and big gas ( :)).  I also found it quite humourous that after Harper was first elected, there was a dinner and photo op gathering of the powerbrokers with him, and right up front was Desmarais ... with Harper standing in front of him, shifting back and forth trying to hide Desmarais from the various camera angles! :lol:

The only difference between those two parties is that Wilson-Raybould and Philpott have now called out the corruption. And as I said before, Conservative MP's are less likely to do so, more amenable to just following orders.

Edited by jacee
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, jacee said:

I am not a fan of either party. I believe they both have cozy and corrupt relations with business and industry - esp Quebec and Alberta.

We all know the Conservatives cater to big oil and big gas ( :)).  I also found it quite humourous that after Harper was first elected, there was a dinner and photo op gathering of the powerbrokers with him, and right up front was Desmarais ... with Harper standing in front of him, shifting back and forth trying to hide Desmarais from the various camera angles! :lol:

The only difference between those two parties is that Wilson-Raybould and Philpott have now called out the corruption. And as I said before, Conservative MP's are less likely to do so, more amenable to just following orders.

 

I would not go so far as to be declaring "all Cons = good" nor " all Lib = bad", but there is a very great chasm between the level of influence and the sliminess used to express it between the two.  That said: some of our best fun has resulted in putting Conservatives behind bars.   You see: a Red Tory is NOT in any way a conservative, because they don't have any respect for the law.  There are just not many conservatives in the "Conservative" parties of this country.

I admire what Philpot and JWR have done because I believe their motive was one of ethics, not political ambition.

Edited by cannuck
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2019 at 2:33 PM, Argus said:

She is all naked ambition. Her suckholing towards Trudeau could not have been more obvious, and it has, in the eyes of some people, really lowered the respect they had for her.

You are right about losing respect for her, Argus.  You can count me in on that.  I let her first comment go by but this last one did it for me.  Until she showed her true colors, I had a lot of admiration for the woman.  Now I'm left just shaking my head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2019 at 2:26 PM, scribblet said:

Trudeau needs to work on gender parity in resignations

Philpott is a good friend of Raybould.   Looking at everything Jody  Raybould  has done up to now points to her gunning for JT's job..
She's running in the next election and she is building her rand which wil beat Trudeau's and Scheers

 

Were I a liberal, my thoughts for a new leader would lie with Jane Philpott.  Not only has a fuller understanding of how Parliament works and has held more important portfolios, she is respected on both sides of the House.  Once I thought Freeland might have also been a good candidate but after showing her blind support of all things liberal, she's out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, mowich said:

You are right about losing respect for her, Argus.  You can count me in on that.  I let her first comment go by but this last one did it for me.  Until she showed her true colors, I had a lot of admiration for the woman.  Now I'm left just shaking my head. 

I think she stands in complete denial of what Celina Caesar-Chavannes tweeted: When you add women, please do not expect the status quo. Expect us to make correct decisions, stand for what is right and exit when values are compromised.

She demonstrates that women can be just as venal, as nakedly ambitious, and as willing to do whatever it takes to get ahead as men, without regard to honesty or integrity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the topic of Trudeau's sunny ways and his respect for women, we have this, from Celina Caesar-Chavennes...

“He was yelling. He was yelling that I didn’t appreciate him, that he’d given me so much,” Ms. Caesar-Chavannes said.
She said she yelled back at him, and Mr. Trudeau eventually apologized. She said she agreed to his request the next day to hold off on making her announcement until early March.
A week later after a caucus meeting, Ms. Caesar-Chavannes said she had approached Mr. Trudeau to talk about their previous interaction.
“I went to him, I said, ‘Look I know our last conversation wasn’t the greatest but …,’ and at that point I stopped talking because I realized he was angry,” she said.
“Again, I was met with hostility. This stare-down … then him stomping out of the room without a word.”

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-liberal-mp-celina-caesar-chavannes-says-she-was-met-with-hostility/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Argus said:

On the topic of Trudeau's sunny ways and his respect for women, we have this, from Celina Caesar-Chavennes...

“He was yelling. He was yelling that I didn’t appreciate him, that he’d given me so much,” Ms. Caesar-Chavannes said.
She said she yelled back at him, and Mr. Trudeau eventually apologized. She said she agreed to his request the next day to hold off on making her announcement until early March.
A week later after a caucus meeting, Ms. Caesar-Chavannes said she had approached Mr. Trudeau to talk about their previous interaction.
“I went to him, I said, ‘Look I know our last conversation wasn’t the greatest but …,’ and at that point I stopped talking because I realized he was angry,” she said.
“Again, I was met with hostility. This stare-down … then him stomping out of the room without a word.”

 

What do you expect when you elect a spoiled brat child whose greatest achievement in life was to be a drama teacher and a drama queen?

Mr Dressup really is the Prime Mistake.

Edited by cannuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cannuck said:

What do you expect when you elect a spoiled brat child whose greatest achievement in life was to be a drama teacher and a drama queen?

Mr Dressup really is the Prime Mistake.

It's actually kind of low to call attention to someone's past jobs and denigrate them.  Andrew Scheer was a real estate agent and broker and became an MP at age 25.  Is he a better example really ?  Ronald Reagan was a b-movie actor and union executive.

I think it's good to respect all kinds of work as leading to one's life vocation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

It's actually kind of low to call attention to someone's past jobs and denigrate them.  Andrew Scheer was a real estate agent and broker and became an MP at age 25.  Is he a better example really ?  Ronald Reagan was a b-movie actor and union executive.

I think it's good to respect all kinds of work as leading to one's life vocation.

Realistically, neither of them has the experience we ought to require in a prime minister. If you tried to apply for a job as the CEO of a major company with those resumes even the clerk doing the initial screening would laugh out loud as he tossed your resume onto the rejection file.

Reagan, btw, was also governor of California...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Argus said:

Realistically, neither of them has the experience we ought to require in a prime minister. If you tried to apply for a job as the CEO of a major company with those resumes even the clerk doing the initial screening would laugh out loud as he tossed your resume onto the rejection file.

Reagan, btw, was also governor of California...

I like how you miss me so much you respond to my posts to other posters ! :D S'ok Argus, it's mutual.
I was talking about Reagan's qualifications to be governor.  I remember when Mulroney ran we were thinking "wow... he ran a mining company... is that enough ?" It certainly was.  And looking at the top 3 parties we have what Trudeau sr. called "a bunch of nobodies" including his son.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

It's actually kind of low to call attention to someone's past jobs and denigrate them.  Andrew Scheer was a real estate agent and broker and became an MP at age 25.  Is he a better example really ?  Ronald Reagan was a b-movie actor and union executive.

I think it's good to respect all kinds of work as leading to one's life vocation.

I agree that Scheer s in way over his head.  I believe that before being eligible for high office, parties should apply some kind of test of demonstrated success in some productive capacity before being able to run for leadership, but politics cares not about what will happen to the country, just their lust for power and influence.  Ronnie Ray-Gunn is not destroying Canada, and there are those who would say he saved the US.   The moron-in-charge has demonstrated nothing at all to suggest he will do anything but wreak havoc upon Canadian society and industry - but that he WILL continue to do what he has only done - act the buffoon part while representing the criminal intent of the back room of his party.   Unless that changes, I will feel free to use ANY insult to draw attention to our inability as a country to elect competent representation and leadership.  Mr. Dressup is at this time the ultimate expression of how far wrong that can go and has gone.  His past was well known before the LPC chose him for this job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2019 at 4:31 PM, Argus said:

I think she stands in complete denial of what Celina Caesar-Chavannes tweeted: When you add women, please do not expect the status quo. Expect us to make correct decisions, stand for what is right and exit when values are compromised.

She demonstrates that women can be just as venal, as nakedly ambitious, and as willing to do whatever it takes to get ahead as men, without regard to honesty or integrity.

Sorry, Argus - I have no respect for Chavannes.  None at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mowich said:

Sorry, Argus - I have no respect for Chavannes.  None at all.

I did not mean to imply that what Casar-Chavannes said was in any way true.

As to the woman herself, I know little about her, aside from that she's decided politics isn't for her and is getting out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one question that I would really like to hear Ms Philpot answer.  How is it that though you were not involved in anyway with the SNC Lavalin discussions, you would happen to know that there is more to those discussions that need to be told.  The discussions were confidential.  You were not privy to them.  So, if you do know there is more that needs to come out, who told you?  Who broke confidentiality and let you in on what happened?  I truly doubt that it was Geppetto, Wernick or the PM.  Now who does that leave?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...