Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums
Argus

95% of plastic in the oceans comes from 3rd world

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Argus said:

More paternalistic crap. You want 'entitled baby boomer conservatives' to take personal responsible for our own actions but the very idea of having 'brown people' take responsible for theirs fills you with horror and outrage. If most of the plastic pollution was coming from us or Europe you'd be pounding your fist on the desk demanding we stop. But because they're 'brown people' countries you simper and whine and find a way to somehow blame white people. My plastic winds up recycled or in a landfill here, not in the ocean. Go complain to the Indians and Chinese and Thais. Ooops, can't do that! They're not white! So they can't be responsible!

I'm filled with horror and outrage at the idea of brown people taking responsibility? It sounds like you're imagining things to try to insult me. 

I'm just asking how you're so sure that the straws you have struggled against enormous odds to be able to use have not wound up in the ocean. Given the amounts of waste that have been shipped to China, etc., it seems unlikely that you can confidently make that assumption.

I'm not giving anyone a pass for waste and pollution, be they white or brown or rich or poor. But you're the only one asking for one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BubberMiley said:

I'm filled with horror and outrage at the idea of brown people taking responsibility? It sounds like you're imagining things to try to insult me. 

I'm just asking how you're so sure that the straws you have struggled against enormous odds to be able to use have not wound up in the ocean. Given the amounts of waste that have been shipped to China, etc., it seems unlikely that you can confidently make that assumption.

I'm not giving anyone a pass for waste and pollution, be they white or brown or rich or poor. But you're the only one asking for one.

You haven't had a word of blame for the countries that are actually polluting the oceans. Instead every word is focused on the western world, which does its best to not pollute.

The stuff shipped to Asia is recyclable, and straws are not. I also have considerable doubt anyone would ship that across the country to Vancouver for shipment abroad. Almost none of Canada's plastic is exported for processing, and what is, mostly goes to the U.S.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay. Bad "Third World"! Take some initiative to clean yourself up "Third World", so that Sir John may enjoy his plastic straws!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BubberMiley said:

I'm filled with horror and outrage at the idea of brown people taking responsibility? It sounds like you're imagining things to try to insult me. 

I'm just asking how you're so sure that the straws you have struggled against enormous odds to be able to use have not wound up in the ocean. Given the amounts of waste that have been shipped to China, etc., it seems unlikely that you can confidently make that assumption.

I'm not giving anyone a pass for waste and pollution, be they white or brown or rich or poor. But you're the only one asking for one.

In certain circles Brown people are responsible for everything bad. As to those rigorously acquired straws, some could very well be floating around especially since China stopped accepting waste from first world countries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BubberMiley said:

I'm just asking how you're so sure that the straws you have struggled against enormous odds to be able to use have not wound up in the ocean. Given the amounts of waste that have been shipped to China, etc., it seems unlikely that you can confidently make that assumption.

It's pretty safe in my case. I stopped recycling a number of things a couple of years ago out of my conviction that just about everything I wasn't putting in my own local dump was being shipped to some hellhole before it was high-graded, probably by a bunch of over-exploited little kids in an equally over-exploited environment. Not on my conscience thanks. I'll recycle again when I can trace my trash to its final destination the way consumers can trace the source of their fish back to my boat.  In the meantime there are hundreds of square kilometers of unused land around our dump so there's lots of room available for my trash and my conscience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Developing nations have enough difficulties already without having to deal with our garbage as well. At the very least we should keep our plastic waste in Canada. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

95% of plastic in the oceans comes from 3rd world

95% of the plastic in the 3rd world comes from the....'1st'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, eyeball said:

95% of the plastic in the 3rd world comes from the....'1st'.

As we've seen with the garbage Canada is sending to Philippines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2019 at 1:48 PM, Owly said:

In certain circles Brown people are responsible for everything bad.

I can understand your indignation at blaming the countries which are polluting the ocean for polluting the ocean. I mean, holding non-white people up to the same standards as white people is clearly unfair given they simply aren't capable of even approaching our level of sophistication and cultural advancement, eh OGFT/Omni?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Developing nations have enough difficulties already without having to deal with our garbage as well. At the very least we should keep our plastic waste in Canada. 

So a company in Malaysia contacts one in Canada and makes a deal to buy plastic for recycling and we're supposed to intervene to stop that because... why exactly? I mean, there's nothing wrong with their own government intervening if, as a matter of policy, they don't want such stuff. But suggesting Canada intervene seems paternalistic - substituting our judgement for that of another country's government as to what they do and do not want to receive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GostHacked said:

As we've seen with the garbage Canada is sending to Philippines.

Canada doesn't send garbage to the Philippines. It costs twice as much to ship garbage to the Philippines as it would to simply dispose of it here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Argus said:

So a company in Malaysia contacts one in Canada and makes a deal to buy plastic for recycling and we're supposed to intervene to stop that because... why exactly? I mean, there's nothing wrong with their own government intervening if, as a matter of policy, they don't want such stuff. But suggesting Canada intervene seems paternalistic - substituting our judgement for that of another country's government as to what they do and do not want to receive.

Call it what you like but it is the effective thing to do. We should be responsible for dealing with our own trash in our own country. The era of pretending that waste is being dealt with in the same way everywhere is coming to an end on this small, fragile planet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Call it what you like but it is the effective thing to do. We should be responsible for dealing with our own trash in our own country. The era of pretending that waste is being dealt with in the same way everywhere is coming to an end on this small, fragile planet. 

So do we get to make other decisions on the part of these nominally independent countries? What else should we decide about what they can and cannot import or export - for their own good, of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Argus said:

So do we get to make other decisions on the part of these nominally independent countries? What else should we decide about what they can and cannot import or export - for their own good, of course.

Actually for everybody’s good. We do live on the same planet. The days of unloading our garbage on some cheaper foreign company with a laxer approach are drawing to a close. I see Malaysia is waking up to this problem as well and is sending back our trash. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/take-back-your-rubbish-malaysia-returning-unwanted-canadian-plastic-1.5152274

 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Actually for everybody’s good. We do live on the same planet. The days of unloading our garbage on some cheaper foreign company with a laxer approach are drawing to a close. I see Malaysia is waking up to this problem as well and is sending back our trash. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/take-back-your-rubbish-malaysia-returning-unwanted-canadian-plastic-1.5152274

 

 

Cheap ass politicians seeing a way to strut and push their chest out is not anything new. Malaysia and the Philippines are sewers because they are utterly corrupt and have little to no pollution laws that are enforced. Companies are free to pump whatever they want into the air or water, or throw trash where they will. Barring our plastic is not going to make any difference, and they will continue to be the largest source of garbage - including plastic - dumped into the ocean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Argus said:

So do we get to make other decisions on the part of these nominally independent countries? What else should we decide about what they can and cannot import or export - for their own good, of course.

We shouldn't sell them things like asbestos, advanced weapon systems, or the filthiest fossil fuels on the planet, for our own good too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Argus said:

Cheap ass politicians seeing a way to strut and push their chest out is not anything new. Malaysia and the Philippines are sewers because they are utterly corrupt and have little to no pollution laws that are enforced. Companies are free to pump whatever they want into the air or water, or throw trash where they will. Barring our plastic is not going to make any difference, and they will continue to be the largest source of garbage - including plastic - dumped into the ocean.

It should make a difference to some of our garbage, for which we are responsible. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2019 at 8:11 AM, Bonam said:

This surprises people? I thought it was well known that almost all garbage enters the oceans from rivers and beaches in densely populated third world countries. How else do people figure so much garbage gets into the oceans? Falls off the side of boats? Flies in the wind from a landfill to the ocean? 

First world beaches:

bigs-Reef-Point-Beach-Crystal-Cove-Lagun

 

Third world beaches:

main_900.jpg?1528217743

And all the environmental wackos here in Canada and other western countries want us all to believe that we are the biggest polluters of plastic. What a farce. I have never seen a Canadian beach ever looking like that beach in that picture. That picture above says it all, and it all just shows us the mentality of some people in some of these third world countries. They have shown that they have no respect nor care for or about the environment. How can these people in the 3rd world go to a beach looking like that above and have no concerns or worries about the mess or the pollution of plastics on their beaches? If there is one thing to learn about this is that I am sure glad that I was born a westerner and not be born in some of those countries and be one of them. It's disgusting. :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2019 at 9:11 AM, Argus said:

Canada doesn't send garbage to the Philippines. It costs twice as much to ship garbage to the Philippines as it would to simply dispose of it here.

There are two countries that I heard on the news the other day that are apparently going to send the garbage that we sent to them back to Canada. They don't want our garbage pollution anymore. The growth of the population in Canada from massive immigration into Canada is a major factor as to why there is so much massive amounts of garbage being created in Canada. But do not tell the environmentalists or the pro immigration lobby that. After all, one does not want to get called anti-immigrant now, do we? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2019 at 11:44 AM, SpankyMcFarland said:

It should make a difference to some of our garbage, for which we are responsible. 

I have an answer for all the garbage that is being produced in Canada. Start burning all the garbage. Take all the garbage produced to some place in the back woods some where and burn it all. The hell with the smoke in the air that it will create. I know that the environmentalists will probably go wacko over such an idea but who cares. Tell them to not go near the place where the garbage is being burned. We either burn the stuff or we are going to have to use up more land to bury the stuff. Burning garbage sounds better than wasting usable land for garbage. 

What say you? Good idea or a bad idea? Just asking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, taxme said:

 Burning garbage sounds better than wasting usable land for garbage. 

What say you? Good idea or a bad idea? Just asking. 

Well, the Grand Canyon's just sitting there...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Well, the Grand Canyon's just sitting there...

Burning garbage does not take up any space. The few ashes left over can be easy enough buried with no real damage to the environment. Some of those ashes will go back into the soil and help something to feed on and grow. Dumping it somewhere like in the Grand Canyon would not be a very smart move. Silly idea, fella. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, taxme said:

Burning garbage does not take up any space. The few ashes left over can be easy enough buried with no real damage to the environment. Some of those ashes will go back into the soil and help something to feed on and grow. Dumping it somewhere like in the Grand Canyon would not be a very smart move. Silly idea, fella. 

I was trying to match yours. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2019 at 5:08 PM, bcsapper said:

I was trying to match yours. 

No, you were not trying to match mine at all. You were just trying to be silly. God job looking silly, fella. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, taxme said:

No, you were not trying to match mine at all. You were just trying to be silly. God job looking silly, fella. :D

It was silly because yours was.  That should have been painfully obvious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...