Political Discussion Forums
Argus

95% of plastic in the oceans comes from 3rd world

18 hours ago, Argus said:

More paternalistic crap. You want 'entitled baby boomer conservatives' to take personal responsible for our own actions but the very idea of having 'brown people' take responsible for theirs fills you with horror and outrage. If most of the plastic pollution was coming from us or Europe you'd be pounding your fist on the desk demanding we stop. But because they're 'brown people' countries you simper and whine and find a way to somehow blame white people. My plastic winds up recycled or in a landfill here, not in the ocean. Go complain to the Indians and Chinese and Thais. Ooops, can't do that! They're not white! So they can't be responsible!

I'm filled with horror and outrage at the idea of brown people taking responsibility? It sounds like you're imagining things to try to insult me. 

I'm just asking how you're so sure that the straws you have struggled against enormous odds to be able to use have not wound up in the ocean. Given the amounts of waste that have been shipped to China, etc., it seems unlikely that you can confidently make that assumption.

I'm not giving anyone a pass for waste and pollution, be they white or brown or rich or poor. But you're the only one asking for one.

4 hours ago, BubberMiley said:

I'm filled with horror and outrage at the idea of brown people taking responsibility? It sounds like you're imagining things to try to insult me. 

I'm just asking how you're so sure that the straws you have struggled against enormous odds to be able to use have not wound up in the ocean. Given the amounts of waste that have been shipped to China, etc., it seems unlikely that you can confidently make that assumption.

I'm not giving anyone a pass for waste and pollution, be they white or brown or rich or poor. But you're the only one asking for one.

You haven't had a word of blame for the countries that are actually polluting the oceans. Instead every word is focused on the western world, which does its best to not pollute.

The stuff shipped to Asia is recyclable, and straws are not. I also have considerable doubt anyone would ship that across the country to Vancouver for shipment abroad. Almost none of Canada's plastic is exported for processing, and what is, mostly goes to the U.S.

Okay. Bad "Third World"! Take some initiative to clean yourself up "Third World", so that Sir John may enjoy his plastic straws!

6 hours ago, BubberMiley said:

In certain circles Brown people are responsible for everything bad. As to those rigorously acquired straws, some could very well be floating around especially since China stopped accepting waste from first world countries.

7 hours ago, BubberMiley said:

It's pretty safe in my case. I stopped recycling a number of things a couple of years ago out of my conviction that just about everything I wasn't putting in my own local dump was being shipped to some hellhole before it was high-graded, probably by a bunch of over-exploited little kids in an equally over-exploited environment. Not on my conscience thanks. I'll recycle again when I can trace my trash to its final destination the way consumers can trace the source of their fish back to my boat.  In the meantime there are hundreds of square kilometers of unused land around our dump so there's lots of room available for my trash and my conscience.