Political Discussion Forums
August1991

My Personal Opinion of this "Scandal" (in 3 points)

1. Justin Trudeau is like his mother. Well-intentioned, beautiful - but an original idiot.

2. With his name, many ambitious people got close to him - and screwed him over.

3. After Dion, Ignatieff - the federal Liberal Party was desperate for a winner. (Many voters choose beautiful blue eyes, not so now.)   

====

I still think that the federal Liberal Party has a place in Canada.

Edited by August1991
  • Like 2

Trudeau isn't well intentionned. But I give you that he's an idiot.

He called for ISIS terrorists to come back to Canada. 

This alone proves he's either amoral or immoral. Amoral, because he doesn't have a set of values to guide him to take better decisions and to judge evil when it's front of him. Immoral because he thinks that he's doing something to get the votes out of the radical islamists.

He isn't well intentionned by any means.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, August1991 said:

1. Justin Trudeau is like his mother. Well-intentioned, beautiful - but an original idiot.

2. With his name, many ambitious people got close to him - and screwed him over.

3. After Dion, Ignatieff - the federal Liberal Party was desperate for a winner. (Many voters choose beautiful blue eyes, not so now.)   

====

Maybe because they have had a place governing Canada more often that any other party. And the place looks pretty good to me.

45 minutes ago, Owly said:

Maybe because they have had a place governing Canada more often that any other party. And the place looks pretty good to me.

No. The federal Liberal Party makes Canada civilised. We get along.

BTW, the new federal Conservatives (Mulroney, Harper etc) also do this - but they do it better, honestly - milk aside.

====

To be honest, the Conservatives (Macdonald and Cartier) are good; heck, in 1867, they created the basis of a civlised Canada.

Edited by August1991

18 hours ago, August1991 said:

====

I agree with all the points except for the 'well-intentioned' bit, Argus.  Idiots aren't known to have many intentions - good or otherwise -  being that they have a difficult time even trying to form a single coherent thought.

After watching him perform for over 3 years now, I am of the opinion that he is shallow, narcissistic, given to huge flights of fancy and sorely lacking in leadership ability.  His niche politics approach to governing and championing of social justice initiatives over and above the common good has been divisive and corrosive. 

My issues with Trudeau are that he took up the cause of affirmative action at a time when this is the least of our worries and he took an oppressive, exclusionary stance towards anyone who isn’t pro choice or uncritical of identity politics.  

The most important concerns for our society are economic and liberal democratic.  We need a big and thriving middle class that provides enough opportunity for people willing to put forth a reasonable amount of effort to self-actualize and to pay for the public services  and institutions that we value, from education to health to security and freedom of expression.  Automation and offshoring of industry are major unresolved threats.  What has Trudeau done to make Canada more competitive and safeguard existing and emerging well-paying jobs?  Most people accept that there are reasons why some inequity exists for immigrants who might be learning English and adjusting to what is valued in the Canadian marketplace, just as most people think that the reason not as many women as men are in executive positions or earning as much as men is because many women don’t participate for as long in the workplace due to the choice to raise kids for periods of their prime working years.  

While having more women in government, more women making more money in the workplace, more money and supports for Indigenous peoples, and generally more support for minority groups and marginalized groups is good, affirmative action is worthless if there are fewer well paying jobs to go around for the society as a whole.  The most displaced people today are unskilled and uneducated male workers.  How will the society manage the fallout?  Prisons?

The Liberals need to focus on capturing the centrist voice that represents most Canadians and get out of identity politics and courting special interests that may subvert  the party and the country.  Trudeau has let in too many subversive elements in the name of inclusion and openness that the Conservatives wouldn’t entertain for good reason.  It has weakened Trudeau and his government.  Now, finally he is being a hard ass.  He has no choice.  He should have started that way and eased up instead of the reverse.  Maybe he can reestablish control as a stronger leader, if he hasn’t made too many enemies. 

Edited by Zeitgeist