Political Discussion Forums
GostHacked

Time to Ban AirBNB - It's creating a housing crisis

On 6/21/2019 at 12:11 PM, GostHacked said:

To me this is no longer about making money. AirBNB is directly contributing to the rising prices in rental markets. And in NYC they said it increased with a median of 380 dollars a month.   So while you need to make money, this is directly increasing the cost of living for those who need affordable housing. In the end it is not doing a city any good.

It's those abusing the system who are causing problems.

Shut down the abusers, not the system. 

* Municipalities need to stop developers and real estate agents from building/buying properties exclusively for Airbnb purposes: Require that short term rental properties be occupied by owners at least part of the time. 

* Landlords need to enforce lease terms that limit 'subletting'.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2019 at 1:58 PM, jacee said:

It's those abusing the system who are causing problems.

Shut down the abusers, not the system. 

* Municipalities need to stop developers and real estate agents from building/buying properties exclusively for Airbnb purposes: Require that short term rental properties be occupied by owners at least part of the time. 

* Landlords need to enforce lease terms that limit 'subletting'.

The system is rife with abuse. I am all for banning AirBnB until the regulations are in.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.4509274

1 hour ago, GostHacked said:

I am all for banning AirBnB until the regulations are in.

How and against what specifically, just AirBnB or the entire business model? A federal country wide ban? Would you make any attempt to discriminate between the good and the bad and if not what about the financial hardship a ban would cause the good operators?

This would be quite literally akin to throwing hundreds of people and a sizable portion of the entire population where I live out of work.  Many of these are already either legally permitted or in the process of becoming legal. It is just about impossible to cheat the system here because of host compliance software used by local governments and the fact that AirBnB itself identifies hosts to officials when submitting the hotel tax they're required to collect from hosts.

I would suggest the real problem in many places is lazy public officials that are cowed by developers and investors.   That's a different issue that I heartily support digging into much deeper. 

45 minutes ago, eyeball said:

How and against what specifically, just AirBnB or the entire business model? A federal country wide ban? Would you make any attempt to discriminate between the good and the bad and if not what about the financial hardship a ban would cause the good operators?

I would ban the business model until regulations are in. As it should be for any industry. I get that people want to make money, but we are seeing multiple issues with just this one type of business. Residents that have to put up with things like that party that lasted till 6 AM.   Shootings, robberies,  ect.  Many horror stories related to AirBnB.

Good operators would also push for regulation as it affects their way of making money. It would actually be in your best interest for you to push for that regulation. And not just sitting there, I mean getting into councilors face with it all. All this negativity affects your bottom line. What do you do about it?

This would be quite literally akin to throwing hundreds of people and a sizable portion of the entire population where I live out of work. 

How?

Many of these are already either legally permitted or in the process of becoming legal. It is just about impossible to cheat the system here because of host compliance software used by local governments and the fact that AirBnB itself identifies hosts to officials when submitting the hotel tax they're required to collect from hosts.

I would suggest the real problem in many places is lazy public officials that are cowed by developers and investors.   That's a different issue that I heartily support digging into much deeper. 

That I can agree with government is lazy as F to get this under control.  It will come, but that change will only come when it's past the crisis point. I rather it not get there.

If I find out any AirBnBs in my neighborhood I will engage the owners to get rid of it.  Or have a designated place in the city for STRs and keep them out of the way of regular residential areas.