Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums
Argus

How Free Speech Dies Online

Recommended Posts

This is a column detailing the rabid left's attempt at silencing those who disagree with them. It speaks about the succesful efforts on the part of leftist activists to influence the major online platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Google and Apple to deny a platform to the far right (the far left is okay though). It points out the dangers this poses for freedom of speech, which is ultimately the freedom all other freedoms rest upon. And it points out that those who want restrictions on 'hate speech' have a long, long list of other speech they want to eliminate. They'll never settle for just banning Nazis and white supremacists. Anyone who offends in any way, even by speaking a wrong word or sentence needs to be de platformed and shunned. That's simply the value system these people have. Witness this.

Richard Spencer hates me. But in order to muzzle him, I’d have to grant censorious power to people who hate him, but who also hate me. And they won’t stop at the groups I’ve mentioned. They’ll go after mainstream conservatives, and they’ll go after center-Right people like New York Times columnists Bari Weiss, David Brooks, and Bret Stephens. They’ll cancel Joe Biden. They’ll deny a platform to everyone to the right of Chapo Trap House, because, like Richard Spencer, they do not believe in free speech and they do not value the rights of people who disagree with them. Their cause is righteous, everyone who stands against them is a villain, and their creed doesn’t permit tolerance of dissent.

https://quillette.com/2019/06/23/how-free-speech-dies-online/

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alex Jones was the first step.

He was listened by millions of people in North America. When he got censored, it opened so many eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

Alex Jones was the first step.

He was listened by millions of people in North America. When he got censored, it opened so many eyes.

Bad example.  He's a liar who contributed to the harrassment of the families of murdered children.  He should be in jail for life for the pain he has caused.  I would be happy if he died, actually.  He has his own network so nobody needs to see him on Twitter or Facebook, plus he is independently wealthy. 

The fact that people give a toss about him at all is evidence that our society's values are screwed up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Bad example.  He's a liar who contributed to the harrassment of the families of murdered children.  He should be in jail for life for the pain he has caused.  I would be happy if he died, actually. 

I would be happy if you'd be censored and if you died too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

I would be happy if you'd be censored and if you died too.

Right, because a man who smears innocent dead children and their families is exactly the same as someone who objects to that smearing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

I would be happy if you'd be censored and if you died too.

Because I voice an opinion you don't like?  Ok then.

 

The difference between us is that Jones had done actual harm to people.  Your opinions are an example of our country's values declining.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canada's government sponsored and funded CBC News posted a hit piece on "fake news" today under the heading of "Technology and Science", while admitting in the byline footer that the CBC was actively trying to influence people/voters for processing information about the upcoming election.

This is not "news"....it is a government sponsored attempt to silence opposing views and media outlets.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/fake-news-disinformation-propaganda-internet-1.5196964

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2019 at 12:42 PM, bush_cheney2004 said:

Canada's government sponsored and funded CBC News posted a hit piece on "fake news" today under the heading of "Technology and Science", while admitting in the byline footer that the CBC was actively trying to influence people/voters for processing information about the upcoming election.

This is not "news"....it is a government sponsored attempt to silence opposing views and media outlets.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/fake-news-disinformation-propaganda-internet-1.5196964

Indeed, "ZOMG Disinformation!" is the new Red Scare, except this time it's the Reds who are scared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2019 at 11:42 AM, bush_cheney2004 said:

Canada's government sponsored and funded CBC News posted a hit piece on "fake news" today under the heading of "Technology and Science", while admitting in the byline footer that the CBC was actively trying to influence people/voters for processing information about the upcoming election.

This is not "news"....it is a government sponsored attempt to silence opposing views and media outlets.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/fake-news-disinformation-propaganda-internet-1.5196964

CBC is in bed with Justin Trudeau and the Liberal Party.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2019 at 9:42 AM, bush_cheney2004 said:

Canada's government sponsored and funded CBC News posted a hit piece on "fake news" today under the heading of "Technology and Science", while admitting in the byline footer that the CBC was actively trying to influence people/voters for processing information about the upcoming election.

This is not "news"....it is a government sponsored attempt to silence opposing views and media outlets.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/fake-news-disinformation-propaganda-internet-1.5196964

BS.  It's a piece about how to identify false news.  Misinformation should be everyone's concern and people need to learn how to verify information, instead of just cluelessly reposting "this makes me mad so it must true" stories.  You are nothing but a troll and ought to have been banned long ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, dialamah said:

BS.  It's a piece about how to identify false news.  Misinformation should be everyone's concern and people need to learn how to verify information, instead of just cluelessly reposting "this makes me mad so it must true" stories.  You are nothing but a troll and ought to have been banned long ago.

 

Thank you very much.    "Progressive" outrage is the only reward I seek.  

The government sponsored and funded CBC relies heavily on American commercial and social media platforms, but cannot control how they are used.

Neither can you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...