Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums
Bob Miller

The United States authorities' inaction

Recommended Posts

U.S. authorities continue to be inactive, despite the calls for tightening control over firearms. In other countries, the authorities take drastic measures for several week, but what about us? Nothing..

The New York Times believes that the US is already used to the news of executions in schools, churches, etc. But why should civilians die because of the legality of weapons and look around on the street fearing their own death? And D. Trump only expresses his condolences!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The  highest "authority" in the United States is the Constitution...which includes the Second Amendment...upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court.

Has nothing to do with Donald Trump...or Barack Obama...or George W. Bush...or  (insert name of any president here).

See District of Columbia v. Heller:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_v._Heller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

The  highest "authority" in the United States is the Constitution...which includes the Second Amendment...upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court.

Has nothing to do with Donald Trump...or Barack Obama...or George W. Bush...or  (insert name of any president here).

See District of Columbia v. Heller:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_v._Heller

I want them to help people. Not just telling on TV how are they sorry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bob Miller said:

I want them to help people. Not just telling on TV how are they sorry

Preserving the second amendment is helping people. Infringing on the second amendment is not helping people.

Clearly you misguidedly think there is some easy fix that could be easily enacted by politicians that will solve the problem.

Action for the sake of action, even when counter-productive, is silly, and maligning inaction for not helping when action helps even less, is also silly.

Wanting to help, and actually helping, are two completely different things, especially when it comes to guns. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Edited by Yzermandius19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 8:58 AM, Yzermandius19 said:

Preserving the second amendment is helping people. Infringing on the second amendment is not helping people.

Clearly you misguidedly think there is some easy fix that could be easily enacted by politicians that will solve the problem.

Action for the sake of action, even when counter-productive, is silly, and maligning inaction for not helping when action helps even less, is also silly.

Wanting to help, and actually helping, are two completely different things, especially when it comes to guns. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Because of such thinking as yours people will continue to die. Yesterday happened one more tragedy in Odessa.... Many people are now dead or seriousely injured.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Bob Miller said:

Because of such thinking as yours people will continue to die.  

Spot on: "

Clearly you misguidedly think there is some easy fix that could be easily enacted by politicians that will solve the problem."

Automatic weapons ban and mental health checks seems like an easy fix to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Automatic weapons ban and mental health checks seems like an easy fix to me.

It's not that easy, or else would have been done already. The two opposing sides cannot come to an agreement on this, so not that easy. Because of democracy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Bob Miller said:

Because of such thinking as yours people will continue to die. Yesterday happened one more tragedy in Odessa.... Many people are now dead or seriousely injured.

Because of thinking such as yours people will continue to die, because you will implement ineffective policy just to feel like you are doing something to help, even when it's counter-productive and doesn't save any lives.

Feeling like you are helping, and actually helping, are two different things, and you have confused the former with the later.

Edited by Yzermandius19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Because of thinking such as yours people will continue to die, because you will implement ineffective policy just to feel like you are doing something to help, even when it's counter-productive and doesn't save any lives.

Feeling like you are helping, and actually helping, are two different things, and you have confused the former with the later.

Lol then suggest your own way to resove the problem. What can YOU do to prevent more victims?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bob Miller said:

Lol then suggest your own way to resove the problem. What can YOU do to prevent more victims?

Until I come up with a plan, you're the boss?

No AOC, that's not how it works, it's up to you to prove your suggestions will help before depriving law abiding citizens of their constitutional rights, not on me to come up with a plan or your dumb plan will have to do.

Doing nothing is better than doing something if doing something is counter-productive, especially when "doing something" is infringing on law abiding citizens constitutional rights. 

Doing something is only better if it isn't counter-productive and blatantly unconstitutional.

So suggest something that isn't counter-productive and unconstitutional, or quit your virtue signaling.

Edited by Yzermandius19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2019 at 9:35 AM, Bob Miller said:

Lol then suggest your own way to resove the problem. What can YOU do to prevent more victims?

Legislatively, the problem is already addressed.

Gun rights are states rights.  Federal gun control is unconstitutional. 

State gun control is not. The Well Regulated Militia is state militias.

Each state can exercise its right to regulate guns as they see fit, though they may not abridge the right to bear arms itself.

Take it to your state legislature.

Realpolitik is the Conservatives control the SCOTUS anyways, so there's not going to be another Assault Weapons Ban, that ain't getting past this SCOTUS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2019 at 10:04 AM, OftenWrong said:

It's not that easy, or else would have been done already. The two opposing sides cannot come to an agreement on this, so not that easy. Because of democracy

Sorry - "easy" if you just get past the ridiculous moneyed lobby that is blocking democracy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Sorry - "easy" if you just get past the ridiculous moneyed lobby that is blocking democracy.

Lobbying is the first amendment, guns are the second, it's a constitutional republic, you can't vote people's rights away, it's not mob rule.

Moreover, the conservatives control the SCOTUS 5-4, so all this leftist shrieking is for not, the votes are in, it's going to be 5-4 against  federal gun control now,

People on the left throwing a constant tantrum and demanding that the constitution be thrown aside to appease their infantilzation,

That's not how it works.   It's a good thing for the leftist fops that it doesn't work that way,

Because if that was how it worked,  they'd be hanging from the lampposts,

Edited by Dougie93

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2019 at 12:32 PM, Dougie93 said:

Legislatively, the problem is already addressed.

Gun rights are states rights.  Federal gun control is unconstitutional. 

State gun control is not. The Well Regulated Militia is state militias.

Each state can exercise its right to regulate guns as they see fit, though they may not abridge the right to bear arms itself.

Take it to your state legislature.

Realpolitik is the Conservatives control the SCOTUS anyways, so there's not going to be another Assault Weapons Ban, that ain't getting past this SCOTUS.

So people should continue to die en masse from these laws? 

Moreover, tourism in our country has become as unsafe as possible. This may to some extent affect the country's economy and, in general, its face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bob Miller said:

So people should continue to die en masse from these laws? 

Moreover, tourism in our country has become as unsafe as possible. This may to some extent affect the country's economy and, in general, its face.

Murder is already a crime.

  America already has the PATRIOT Act to combat terrorism'.

The law has already addressed the problem and the laws are severe.

People are still free to commit crimes.

Price of freedom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 3:55 PM, Dougie93 said:

Murder is already a crime.

  America already has the PATRIOT Act to combat terrorism'.

The law has already addressed the problem and the laws are severe.

People are still free to commit crimes.

Price of freedom.

Your understanding of freedom sounds like "live and suffer"...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jean Jacques said:

Your understanding of freedom sounds like "live and suffer"...

Life is struggle, but in order to live in a free country I have to allow people the freedom to make their own choices, to include choosing to commit crimes.

Would have to be one hell of an Orwellian police state otherwise, a prison camp to prevent you from making the mistake of going to prison.

Burn the village to save the village sounds absurd to me, but I guess you can't see the forest through the trees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...