Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums

Ontario is the Best Place to Live in Canada


Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

You can have everything in one place . . . . British Columbia.

Don't tell anyone . . . 

As long as you speak Mandarin and have several million dollars in the bank.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Perhaps it is the best, but only in very small clusters. Actually the majority of Ontarians live in a shithole. Population data: 1 Toronto Large urban

The rest of the country laughs at you . . .  Self importance is an industry in Ontario.  Please stay there.  

One of the makers of the list and quoted in the article is from Southern Ontario.  Give me a break.  From the article: "I feel a bit bad about this because I know the rest of Canada thinks we thi

Posted Images

2 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

You can’t have everything in one place, but the Laurentians are not far. Not from eastern ON, the best part of the best province in Canada.

Don't tell anybody.

Ottawa and environs look good - a capital city on the edge of wilderness and some fairly decent hills too. Not BC but not bad either. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nefarious Banana said:

You can have everything in one place . . . . British Columbia.

Don't tell anyone . . . 

I worked too many years in the rain.  I hate rain now.

Perhaps not overpriced by global standards, but too pricey for me.

BC is also seedy just under the Lotus Land facade of hippie dippie blah, blah, blah.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ottawa-Hull was a great place to party when I was a young buck.  Good times.

We'd roll in from Pet, get rooms in the Chateau Laurier, start the party in Market, then cross over to Quebec after last call to Le Strip to hit the dance clubs.

The party usually ending with a kind of mini-riot in the street with the SQ SWAT team chasing us back across the bridge.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dougie93 said:

The best dope in the world, though they don't sell it at the government store.

Well, I wouldn't know about that.  They used to have some of the best beer in the world, but Swans in Victoria stopped making Buckerfields Bitter.  Maybe they still do have some of the best beer in the world, somewhere, but so do a lot of other places.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Well, I wouldn't know about that.  They used to have some of the best beer in the world, but Swans in Victoria stopped making Buckerfields Bitter.  Maybe they still do have some of the best beer in the world, somewhere, but so do a lot of other places.

All beer gives me the same buzz, which is not much, hence why I start with the whiskey and chase with the beer.

When it comes to beer I just go for something which is serviceable, but cheap.  I'm not paying a lot for beer, except maybe Guinness Pub Draft.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

All beer gives me the same buzz, which is not much, hence why I start with the whiskey and chase with the beer.

When it comes to beer I just go for something which is serviceable, but cheap.  I'm not paying a lot for beer, except maybe Guinness Pub Draft.

I rarely get as far as the buzz.  Perhaps a certain relaxation.  I drink beer for the taste alone, and can't remember the last time I had more than three pints in one sitting.

I'd rather drink tapwater than most mass produced brand beers.  When I retire I'm going to make my own.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bcsapper said:

I rarely get as far as the buzz.  Perhaps a certain relaxation.  I drink beer for the taste alone, and can't remember the last time I had more than three pints in one sitting.

I'd rather drink tapwater than most mass produced brand beers.  When I retire I'm going to make my own.

Beer is a like a soft drink to me, I drink it when I'm thirsty, I chug it and toss the can away, would probably take 12 pints to get me even tipsy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Beer is a like a soft drink to me, I drink it when I'm thirsty, I chug it and toss the can away, would probably take 12 pints to get me even tipsy.

That sounds like the squadron bar in Germany.  West Germany.  A long time ago.  I haven't drunk like that in thirty years.  I would certainly keel over long before my 12th pint now.

Edited by bcsapper
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bcsapper said:

That's sounds like the squadron bar in Germany.  West Germany.  A long time ago.  I haven't drunk like that in thirty years.  I would certainly keel over long before my 12th pint now.

Back then I was a lightweight,  a skinny kid, now am a large man with a much higher tolerance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

I worked too many years in the rain.  I hate rain now.

Perhaps not overpriced by global standards, but too pricey for me.

BC is also seedy just under the Lotus Land facade of hippie dippie blah, blah, blah.

BC is a little bit bigger than Greater Vancouver . . . rain on the coast in winter, sage brush/bunch grass, mountains, high plateaus . . . . few trees here and there.

Maybe best that you stay where you're comfortable . . . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nefarious Banana said:

BC is a little bit bigger than Greater Vancouver . . . rain on the coast in winter, sage brush/bunch grass, mountains, high plateaus . . . . few trees here and there.

Maybe best that you stay where you're comfortable . . . 

I was born in BC, my mother lives in BC, I have family all over BC, but I just don't like it.  I don't like the people.  My mother doesn't either, but she likes the rain in Greater Van.

Nice place to visit, for about a weak or so, but actually there are places in America I prefer to visit now.

I don't like Canadians anymore.  I prefer Americans.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know If I've ever liked Canadians. 

I mean, first I was raised in Toronto, and to Torontonians the rest of Canada is a bunch of provincial hicks who are your inferiors, all that matters in Toronto is Toronto.

Then I joined the army, and was indoctrinated to despise civilians, when you're in the army Canadians are a bunch of peacenik leftist kooks.

When I got out of the army, Anti-Americanism went off the charts in Canada because of Bush Derangement Syndrome, and I don't like people who don't like America.

The Anti-Americanism has never really abated since, and now it's gone completely off the deep end with Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Canada is like one big sneering Antifa rally now.

No enemies on the right, I don't throw anybody under the bus for the left, but I still can't get with the immigrant bashing.

I actually prefer most immigrants over snobby priggish uptight Canadians

Edited by Dougie93
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

I don't like Canadians anymore.  I prefer Americans.

Such a funny statement to make considering we are a multicultural country and America is multicultural too.   You have Chinese here and there, Indians and East indians here and there; Latinos , Filipinos and of course you have some from British descent who feel American, and some of British descent who feel Canadian.

Anyways, on Ontario and Toronto, all I can say is been there done that.   Not any more; not looking forward to even visit again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, cougar said:

Such a funny statement to make considering we are a multicultural country and America is multicultural too.   You have Chinese here and there, Indians and East indians here and there; Latinos , Filipinos and of course you have some from British descent who feel American, and some of British descent who feel Canadian.

Anyways, on Ontario and Toronto, all I can say is been there done that.   Not any more; not looking forward to even visit again.

Well the only culture which is not accepted in Canadian Multiculturalism is American culture.  America is not multicultural, America is American first.

In terms of immigrants in Canada, they're not culturally Canadian, like the West Indians and Italians I grew up with didn't call themselves Canadians.

None of the Quebecois I know calls themselves Canadian neither.   Nor any of the Indians I know.

There is such a thing as Canadian culture, it's 19th century Victorian culture on steroids,  Canada was the most Victorian part of the Empire.  Old Stock Canadians.

Edited by Dougie93
Link to post
Share on other sites

See what happened in 1867 was that the British actually kicked Canada out of the Empire, because the whole point of Confederation was that the British were no longer coming to defend Canada from the Americans.

The reaction of Canadians however, was to be more British than the British themselves, more Victorian than the Victorians, in the face of the Americans.

This is why Canadians charged into the First World War with such enthusiasm, they wanted to prove to the British how British they were, the British pushing them away caused Canadians to cling to the British even tighter.

Until the Somme that is.   That broke the back of the whole Empire, that is the point where Canadians turned away from the British and towards the Americans for the first time.

None the less, that Victorian culture is Anglo Canadian culture, more British than the British in the face of Americans. 

Multiculturalism allows immigrants to retain their native culture, but the things they need to comply with are basically left over from Victorian Canada.

Edited by Dougie93
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the mix we have going on today in Toronto and environs.  Obviously BC is more beautiful, but I like the Eastern Time Zone and the dynamism in Ontario, as long as you can enjoy the best of the city and the country.  It’s got enough Americana with plenty of the quaint Victorian and the bicultural Canadiana.  Multiculturalism is simply our reality, which means I don’t have to travel to have a worldly experience.  The growth is rapid though and we don’t always get it right.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

See what happened in 1867 was that the British actually kicked Canada out of the Empire, because the whole point of Confederation was that the British were no longer coming to defend Canada from the Americans.

The reaction of Canadians however, was to be more British than the British themselves, more Victorian than the Victorians, in the face of the Americans.

This is why Canadians charged into the First World War with such enthusiasm, they wanted to prove to the British how British they were, the British pushing them away caused Canadians to cling to the British even tighter.

Until the Somme that is.   That broke the back of the whole Empire, that is the point where Canadians turned away from the British and towards the Americans for the first time.

Really?  Wrong.  Britain likes having Canada in the Commonwealth and likes to see Canada as British North America.  It’s no coincidence why we have a province named British Columbia, a province named after Prince Edward, a province called New Scotland, and many Canadian cities and towns with British names.  The challenge is that sometimes the Brits still think of Canada as a colony.  Canada really did demonstrate her independence in the World Wars, certainly at Vimy, and absolutely in the virtual liberation of Holland and Belgium.  Dougie wants to bring down Confederation, period.  He doesn’t like Canada and would prefer the US to have even more power and influence in Canada.  Good luck selling that idea to Canadians.  There’s a lot more pride in Canada than that.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Really?  Wrong.  Britain likes having Canada in the Commonwealth and likes to see Canada as British North America.  It’s no coincidence why we have a province named British Columbia, a province named after Prince Edward, a province called New Scotland, and many Canadian cities and towns with British names.  The challenge is that sometimes the Brits still think of Canada as a colony.  Canada really did demonstrate her independence in the World Wars, certainly at Vimy, and absolutely in the virtual liberation of Holland and Belgium.  Dougie wants to bring down Confederation, period.  He doesn’t like Canada and would prefer the US to have even more power and influence in Canada.  Good luck selling that idea to Canadians.  There’s a lot more pride in Canada than that.  

The whole point of Confederation was that the British were not coming to defend Canada from the Americans anymore, the Fenian Raids caused a panic, the British were not willing to confront the Union which had just crushed the Confederacy, now with an army five times the size of the British Army and navy more advanced than the Royal Navy, so the British told the colonies here; form up into a military alliance against America and build an east west trade federation to support it.

You, like most Canadians, just don't know the central narrative, why things happened, all you know is a bunch of social history tidbits, like Government of Canada vignettes on the CBC

Typical Canadian. .

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Tell a friend

    Love Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...