Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums

Ontario is the Best Place to Live in Canada


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, OftenWrong said:

Sorry, but I cannot be of further assistance. This is not Spoon-feed Liberals 101.

Well then I'll assume you had no point. The chart only shows population. 

Milton is on that list. It's 15 minutes north of the #1 and #4 cities in Canada based on the OP and they have larger populations. Ottawa is also considered one of the best communities in Canada to live. 

Is your thesis only that rural communities are worth living in? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Perhaps it is the best, but only in very small clusters. Actually the majority of Ontarians live in a shithole. Population data: 1 Toronto Large urban

The rest of the country laughs at you . . .  Self importance is an industry in Ontario.  Please stay there.  

One of the makers of the list and quoted in the article is from Southern Ontario.  Give me a break.  From the article: "I feel a bit bad about this because I know the rest of Canada thinks we thi

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Boges said:

Well then I'll assume you had no point. The chart only shows population. 

Milton is on that list. It's 15 minutes north of the #1 and #4 cities in Canada based on the OP and they have larger populations. Ottawa is also considered one of the best communities in Canada to live. 

Is your thesis only that rural communities are worth living in? 

You assume many things. The chart shows everything I need it to show. Again I cannot hep the unobservent

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

It's called agitprop, learn to deal /shrugs

As long as you concede to that. 

As a side to something you did say. Though downtown Toronto is notably "pinko". So are all other large metropolis'. Ever been to Montreal?

Suburban Toronto is a bell weather region that goes between Liberal and Conservative. It's the swing community that almost always decides provincial or federal election. AND has some of the nicest communities in Canada. 

Toronto comes well down on the list in the OP. 

Edited by Boges
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Boges said:

As long as you concede to that.

Oh,  of course, democracy is a hurly burly, politics is war by other means, now it was the Bolsheviks who invented agitprop, but they were on to something there, thus we on the right repurposed it, turned it back against the left.  Quite enjoyable, since it bothers them so.

Edited by Dougie93
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Boges said:

The article in the OP concedes that small towns have a great appeal to many. 

And since Ontario consists of a shithole coefficient of 0.657, we are back to my earlier post. You have come full circle, my little padawan. There is hope for you yet...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

And since Ontario consists of a shithole coefficient of 0.657, we are back to my earlier post. You have come full circle, my little padawan. There is hope for you yet...

Well that's simply an objectively false statement. So perhaps not. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

So math evidently not your forte. 

You're saying that every large urban centre based on your shitty chart is a shithole. That's objectively false. 

Geography is more of my forte than math, and the way the chart distributes Ontario communities is also wildly idiotic. 

Edited by Boges
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Boges said:

You're saying that every large urban centre based on your shitty chart is a shithole. That's objectively false. 

Geography is more of my forte than math, and the way the chart distributes Ontario communities is also wildly idiotic. 

Come on, the chart was a pretty nice way to show the data, really. It is organized by population, from 1 -12. These are the top 12 populated cities.

Geography is mountains and rocks. We don't have that much here in Ontario, I think you complained about that earlier. That's probably why you don't understand Ontario and you don't get the chart.

Anyway this is about sociology, not rocks. What is the will to high population density. Man's inhumanity to man. What Stalin said about statistics. The primal human reaction to when there are many, and when there are few. Crocodile Dundee in Manhattan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Come on, the chart was a pretty nice way to show the data, really. It is organized by population, from 1 -12. These are the top 12 populated cities.

Geography is mountains and rocks. We don't have that much here in Ontario, I think you complained about that earlier. That's probably why you don't understand Ontario and you don't get the chart.

Anyway this is about sociology, not rocks. What is the will to high population density. Man's inhumanity to man. What Stalin said about statistics. The primal human reaction to when there are many, and when there are few. Crocodile Dundee in Manhattan.

Geology is about mountains and rocks. 

Geography is as much about how we organize our civilizations than the physical makeup of those communities. I'm convinced the reason most people live near Toronto is because, by Canadians standards, the weather is very good. And that's because it doesn't receive as much Lake effect snow as other parts of the province. 

I can tell you Milton isn't the 12th largest city in Ontario. The chart is showing CMAs not cities, but it's pretending that they're cities. That's why it sucks. 

Milton is a hybrid rural/suburban community so, I guess, that's why they put it on it's own. But a notable chunk of Hamilton, Niagara, K-Dub, London and Barrie's CMA are also "rural". So most of what's not noted in your chart are empty communities and far flung Northern communities. And those places don't have a Costco, so they by definition, suck. 

Edited by Boges
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can confirm that Guelph is not a shit hole, it's a lovely place, and quite affluent now, and they have a Costco.

The only downside is that it is run by lefties, the public sector entrenched interests have captured the government, so it is somewhat expensive.

Thus its better to live just outside of Guelph, and go to Guelph as you need to, to catch a hockey game at the Sleeman Center, or go to Costco,

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Boges said:

I'm convinced the reason most people live near Toronto is because, by Canadians standards, the weather is very good. And that's because it doesn't receive as much Lake effect snow as other parts of the province. 

Not at all. Most people live near Toronto because that's where the work is. It is usually the first destination for newcomers to Canada, big urban centre, lots of opportunity to get a job and get started. Weather is a luxury consideration for migrants. Toronto being on the western side of the lake it does not benefit much from the prevailing west-east weather pattern that picks up air from lake Ontario and maintains a moderate temperature region. Those areas to the east benefit from it far more, yet they are relatively unpopulated. I'm sorry but your thesis does not hold up under peer review.

The list is well categorized, just not by your standard. The category is there in front of your face, dead centre, yet you missed it. These places are population centres. 
I can only ask questions and drop hints for so long, and if you don't get the answer you will fail.

Edited by OftenWrong
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thing about Toronto, is you have to be making money to make it worth your while.

There is no industry in Toronto, it's all Information work.

Financials, Media, Arts, Fashion, Software.

If you have the vision, the creativity, the skills and the drive, you will make a lot of money in Toronto.

If not, you will end up in the service industry serving those who do, and then it's a grind and everything is very expensive, so you won't get ahead.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Not at all. Most people live near Toronto because that's where the work is. It is usually the first destination for newcomers to Canada, big urban centre, lots of opportunity to get a job and get started. Weather is a luxury consideration for migrants. Toronto being on the western side of the lake it does not benefit much from the prevailing west-east weather pattern that picks up air from lake Ontario and maintains a moderate temperature region. Those areas to the east benefit from it far more, yet they are relatively unpopulated. I'm sorry but your thesis does not hold up under peer review.

The theory is why it was first populated, not because of the economic reasons people move there now. The Eastern side of Ontario is full of Islands and is at the mouth of the St. Lawrence. It's also very close to Montreal. Toronto is actually on the North of Lake Ontario more than on the West. Meaning it receives very little Lake Effect Snow. To the South, the American community of Buffalo is seen as arctic tundra compared to Toronto. 

Quote

The list is well categorized, just not by your standard. The category is there in front of your face, dead centre, yet you missed it. These places are population centres. 
I can only ask questions and drop hints for so long, and if you don't get the answer you will fail.

They're well categorized if you want to consider CMA's but if you're theory is that those contain only urban areas then you're objectively wrong. 

For example, I know the city of Hamilton is around 400,000 people. Your chart has it at 700,000 so it's including rural communities like Flamborough. And most likely the city noted as the #1 community in Canada in the OP. . . Burlington. 

So if you're rudimentary math equation is indicative of people who life in shitty places, you need to provide a better basis than that chart. 

Edited by Boges
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Thing about Toronto, is you have to be making money to make it worth your while.

There is no industry in Toronto, it's all Information work.

Financials, Media, Arts, Fashion, Software.

If you have the vision, the creativity, the skills and the drive, you will make a lot of money in Toronto.

If not, you will end up in the service industry serving those who do, and then it's a grind and everything is very expensive, so you won't get ahead.

So Software isn't industry? If you're isolating Toronto to the city proper, then yeah there's not a lot of manufacturing. But the surrounding suburbs are filled with it. 

You and OftenWrong are blinded by your hatred of Toronto Proper and it's obstructing your knowledge of the surrounding communities. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Boges said:

So Software isn't industry? If you're isolating Toronto to the city proper, then yeah there's not a lot of manufacturing. But the surrounding suburbs are filled with it. 

You and OftenWrong are blinded by your hatred of Toronto Proper and it's obstructing your knowledge of the surrounding communities. 

Software is not industrial no, it's nothing like the industrial economy, if you go to an information workplace in Toronto, there's nothing there, it's just a room with people exchanging information, like the stock market.

In terms of the old industrial in the suburbs it's all shrinking away to nothing, it's all moving out, mostly to Mexico.  All that is left behind is the information workers in the head office, the manufacturing hub is likely in Monterrey

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Software is not industrial no, it's nothing like the industrial economy, if you go to an information workplace in Toronto, there's nothing there, it's just a room with people exchanging information, like the stock market.

And that's where the real money is, and should be, going forward. If a robot can do a man's job, the man should learn how to control the robot (eg. Software)

Quote

 

In terms of the old industrial in the suburbs it's all shrinking away to nothing, it's all moving out, mostly to Mexico.  All that is left behind is the information workers in the head office, the manufacturing hub is likely in Monterrey

 

Cite? Obviously manufacturing has taken a hit, but this 10 year boom since the 2008 crash has been somewhat fuelled by a resurgence in domestic manufacturing. 

Edited by Boges
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Boges said:

For example, I know the city of Hamilton is around 400,000 people. Your chart has it at 700,000 so it's including rural communities like Flamborough. And most likely the city noted as the #1 community in Canada in the OP. . . Burlington. 

I'm well aware of that. I posted the data and can tell you anything you want to know about it. But I didn't...

Quote

So if you're rudimentary math equation is indicative of people who life in shitty places, you need to provide a better basis than that chart. 

Obviously you do not like it, hence the desperate dashing to and fro to find some small fly speck that you can point to and say, "oh, you left a little spot there." And you are going to make the most you can out of that fly-speck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

I'm well aware of that. I posted the data and can tell you anything you want to know about it. But I didn't...

Obviously you do not like it, hence the desperate dashing to and fro to find some small fly speck that you can point to and say, "oh, you left a little spot there." And you are going to make the most you can out of that fly-speck.

So the fact that almost every CMA noted in that list include communities that aren't classified as Large Urban is a "fly-speck" to you. It kind of speaks to your theory that two thirds of the province are shitholes. 

Not to mention you're unwilling to engage in a debate as to why you'd think that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Boges said:

So the fact that almost every CMA noted in that list include communities that aren't classified as Large Urban is a "fly-speck" to you. It kind of speaks to your theory that two thirds of the province are shitholes. 

Not to mention you're unwilling to engage in a debate as to why you'd think that. 

I see, it's about me now. Well in my defense it seems you read too quick.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Tell a friend

    Love Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...