Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums
WestCanMan

How Serious Of An Election Issue Is The SNC Scandal For You?

How Serious Of An Election Issue Is The SNC Scandal For You?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, scribblet said:

Harper used to take 5 questions a day which infuriated the media seeping into every day's coverage. The travelling press gallery was incensed and never got over it.  OK then….  

From what I've read Trudeau gives just 15 minutes to the media each day, and he often doesn't answer the question but just talks on and on, or 'rags the puck' as one reporter put it.

The media is perfectly fine with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Typical Conservative campaign style of negativity and attacks rather than issues vital to Canadians like the booming economy under Liberals. And they soon forget all Harper era collection of scandals!!!!!.

All we've seen from the Liberals so far this election is gutter politics, digging decades into candidates background trying to find something they can twist into a scandal.

But I'm sure that doesn't bother you even slightly, loyal Liberal that you are.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Abies said:

You are right he is a liar but having the Conservatives in power will destroy any chance of an actual climate change policy and losing green energy R&D. 

So what? Honestly, do you imagine anything Canada does, even completely eliminating all our emissions, is going to make the slightest difference?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

So your going to base your entire argument on an increase of jobs ? nothing to do with increase in GDP figures, or exports imports, housing, you know the stuff economists bases their facts on....and your source says nothing about how many are part time jobs, how many of those jobs are filled by foreign workers being brought in....I'm sure I'm missing a shit load of things here, but I might be on the right track here, when I say the increase in job numbers is a good thing but that is not the only factor when it comes to touting our economy is booming....

 

Low inflation, lowest unemployment rate, low interest rates, rapidly growing economy overall, housing sector was too rapidly expanding but purposely slowed down to avoid explosion. 

I am quoting your own quote on growth only:

Expressed at an annualized rate, real GDP expanded 3.7 percent in the second quarter, faster than a 0.5 percent growth in the first three months of the year and beating market forecasts of 3 percent.

On jobs:

Canada has added 426,400 jobs over the past 12 months, the largest one-year increase since 2007 

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Abies said:

You are right he is a liar but having the Conservatives in power will destroy any chance of an actual climate change policy and losing green energy R&D. 

first there are other options other than CONS, but lets stick with your poison, Climate change is important to you, but what is the liberal policy anyways, oh I got it tax the shit out of fuel products, which will of course drive the cost of everything up, food, services, stuff.... making you think twice about driving...well thats good if you live in a city...I don't I have to drive to work, in a 4x4 because the roads are not kept plowed all the time, and if I miss a day , I miss a days pay....the Liberals have said they will return  that tax to me, in a rebate on my income tax....again what they lied to you about is they have only costed their plan to get to 50 % of the climate change needed according to the Paris accord numbers...now climate Barbie says they will increase that after 2022..

Now their plan lacks any vision, any major investment into climate change R&D, any investment into rebates for more climate friendly buildings , such as solar, wind power, even thermal heat pumps....god knows what ever other tech is out there....instead they are going to return that money back to you in a income tax rebate...and hope that you use less carbon....Nice plan....sounds like a half plan to me....lacking of any vision, or research...And thats after declaring a climate emergency.... 

As for destroying any climate change plan, you don't know that for sure, anything can change , priorities can change...and even if everything changes Canada is only responsible for 1.5 % of the worlds carbon ….this needs to be fought  on a global scale to make an impact...Canada can not do it alone...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Low inflation, lowest unemployment rate, low interest rates, rapidly growing economy overall, housing sector was too rapidly expanding but purposely slowed down to avoid explosion. 

Shit those figures are left over from Harpers days, I mean if we can blame everything else on him , lets give credit where credit is due.....

unemployment numbers are not all unicorns and rainbows across the country....in fact in 3 provinces they have risen not fallen...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_provinces_by_unemployment_rate

Interest rates in 2014 were 1 % and falling, today they are 1.75 and rising...

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/interest-rate

GDP rates are in positive territory but they are not booming......in fact they are some what flat...

Quote

The Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in Canada expanded 1.60 percent in the second quarter of 2019 over the same quarter of the previous year. GDP Annual Growth Rate in Canada averaged 3.14 percent from 1962 until 2019, reaching an all time high of 9.30 percent in the first quarter of 1962 and a record low of -4.10 percent in the fourth quarter of 1982.

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/gdp-growth-annual

 

Not sure what to tell you, the numbers don't lie....Justin and his merry band of liars and thugs, will take your money faster than a hooker in the city.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

Shit those figures are left over from Harpers days, I mean if we can blame everything else on him , lets give credit where credit is due.....

unemployment numbers are not all unicorns and rainbows across the country....in fact in 3 provinces they have risen not fallen...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_provinces_by_unemployment_rate

Interest rates in 2014 were 1 % and falling, today they are 1.75 and rising...

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/interest-rate

GDP rates are in positive territory but they are not booming......in fact they are some what flat...

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/gdp-growth-annual

 

Not sure what to tell you, the numbers don't lie....Justin and his merry band of liars and thugs, will take your money faster than a hooker in the city.

What a load of nonsense. Unemployment rate is down because of what happened more than 4 years ago!!!!!. over 400,000 jobs created past twelve months that is because of what happened in  2014!!!!!!! GDP of 3.7% is not booming!!!!!. Lowest unemployment in decades is not positive? I did say that interest rates was artificially raise to avoid housing explosion!!! 

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

What a load of nonsense. Unemployment rate is down because of what happened more than 4 years ago!!!!!. over 400,000 jobs created past twelve months that is because of what happened in  2014!!!!!!! GDP of 3.7% is not booming!!!!!. Lowest unemployment in decades is not positive? I did say that interest rates was artificially raise to avoid housing explosion!!! 

I pointed out that unemployment rates are not unicorns and rainbows in all provinces...in fact in 3 provinces the unemployment rates have increased...Where harpers record comes in is in the interest rates, check the source, there is lots of them out there, interest has almost doubled, in Justins days, the how and why is mout, the fact is the have increased...by almost double

GDP numbers have not been over 3.7 since jul 2017 check out the little chart.......last years GDP growth was 3.7 %, 2019 growth is only clocked at 1.6....here is an interest fact the Average growth rate is 3.14...if thats average what is 3.7....booming, don't think so....once again the numbers don't lie....they are not liberals. 

Under Harper GDP growth was 2.6 in 2014....under Justin in 2015 GDP falls to .9,  2016 1.5 and it has been climbing ever since, but those were different times hard to compare apples to apples....

Quote

The Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in Canada expanded 1.60 percent in the second quarter of 2019 over the same quarter of the previous year. GDP Annual Growth Rate in Canada averaged 3.14 percent from 1962 until 2019, reaching an all time high of 9.30 percent in the first quarter of 1962 and a record low of -4.10 percent in the fourth quarter of 1982.

everything taken into account nothing supports your position of a booming economy....better than average at most maybe. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Argus said:

So what? Honestly, do you imagine anything Canada does, even completely eliminating all our emissions, is going to make the slightest difference?

Per capita we emit a lot. So there is a lot we can do as we can choose to not consume massive amounts of junk and produce bunch of waste. China emits a lot but their government has already committed to a cap and trade system and invested in green energy and the same is happening with India.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

first there are other options other than CONS, but lets stick with your poison, Climate change is important to you, but what is the liberal policy anyways, oh I got it tax the shit out of fuel products, which will of course drive the cost of everything up, food, services, stuff.... making you think twice about driving...well thats good if you live in a city...I don't I have to drive to work, in a 4x4 because the roads are not kept plowed all the time, and if I miss a day , I miss a days pay....the Liberals have said they will return  that tax to me, in a rebate on my income tax....again what they lied to you about is they have only costed their plan to get to 50 % of the climate change needed according to the Paris accord numbers...now climate Barbie says they will increase that after 2022..

Now their plan lacks any vision, any major investment into climate change R&D, any investment into rebates for more climate friendly buildings , such as solar, wind power, even thermal heat pumps....god knows what ever other tech is out there....instead they are going to return that money back to you in a income tax rebate...and hope that you use less carbon....Nice plan....sounds like a half plan to me....lacking of any vision, or research...And thats after declaring a climate emergency.... 

As for destroying any climate change plan, you don't know that for sure, anything can change , priorities can change...and even if everything changes Canada is only responsible for 1.5 % of the worlds carbon ….this needs to be fought  on a global scale to make an impact...Canada can not do it alone...

I already covered the other parties. The money returned is more than what you paid and people living in areas where car usage is definitely a need is taken into account. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-canadas-carbon-tax-a-guide/

What it costs: The federal tax prices carbon at $20 a tonne, or 4.4 cents per litre of gasoline, and rise to $50 in 2020. Here’s what that means for the average family in different provinces:

  • Ontario: According to the federal government, the average Ontario household will pay $244 in direct and indirect costs for carbon, but will receive $300 under the “climate-action incentive,” for a net benefit of $56.
  • Saskatchewan: The average family would pay $403 in carbon-tax costs and receive $598 in rebates ($195 as a net benefit).
  • Manitoba: The costs will be $232 and the rebate $336 ($104 net benefit).
  • New Brunswick: The breakdown is $202 and $248 (net benefit of $46).

The amounts vary from province to province because each jurisdiction relies on different amounts of fossil fuels, meaning there will be more or less revenue per person generated from the tax. The payments in each province − which will increase as the price per tonne rises − will be based on the number of people in a household and paid to one tax-filer.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Abies said:

Per capita we emit a lot. So there is a lot we can do as we can choose to not consume massive amounts of junk and produce bunch of waste. China emits a lot but their government has already committed to a cap and trade system and invested in green energy and the same is happening with India.

Have you ever had to wear a mask, because the air in our cities is to polluted to breath, or so thick you can't see, like your in a fog... Have they declared a climate emergency, No....per capita is not really fair to compare our population with theirs is it....How many tones do they put out and how many tones do we put out....I'm all for reducing our carbon foot print, i already own a thermal heat pump, foir heating my home,  i have solor panels on my roof, without the battery storage, " to expensive and the up keep on the bats is out of this world" but it provides an almost zero power bill.... go figure i'm a conservative to boot, the liberals don't own the rights to good climate policy....it lacks vision it lacks meat...all of them do, except Mays and she is a little wonky...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Abies said:

I already covered the other parties. The money returned is more than what you paid and people living in areas where car usage is definitely a need is taken into account. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-canadas-carbon-tax-a-guide/

 

 

Sounds good on paper, but climate Barbie has already said the carbon tax will have to be double after 2022, meaning 100 dollars a ton, to begin to meet our Paris accord numbers...So the plan is already failed...they lied to get you to buy in....Next with all this new income coming in, what are they doing with it, beside giving a major back, are the investing heavily into green tech , ways to further reduce carbon, what are they doing to give citizens the incentive to further reduce their foot print like massive rebates on green tech, solar, wind generation....So basically what we have is we are going to tax the shit out of carbon, and then give it back in a form of tax rebates...does that not sound wonky to you...when has the government ever taxed you and then gave it all back you....then their is the question why even tax us at all...I give you a dollar then next week you give it back...., why not use some of that money and do something invest in green tech, rebate existing green tech....something after all we are in a climate emergency....I'm with you on climate, i just don't see any value in the liberals plan...it's like they have access to the best minds in the country, and this plan was the best they could do....i don't get it, its like the were caught out of time and some one spent 5 mins thinking this up...and then jammed on lets declare an emergency, that will sell it....we are smarter than that, I hope...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Army Guy said:

Have you ever had to wear a mask, because the air in our cities is to polluted to breath, or so thick you can't see, like your in a fog... Have they declared a climate emergency, No....per capita is not really fair to compare our population with theirs is it....How many tones do they put out and how many tones do we put out....I'm all for reducing our carbon foot print, i already own a thermal heat pump, foir heating my home,  i have solor panels on my roof, without the battery storage, " to expensive and the up keep on the bats is out of this world" but it provides an almost zero power bill.... go figure i'm a conservative to boot, the liberals don't own the rights to good climate policy....it lacks vision it lacks meat...all of them do, except Mays and she is a little wonky...

Except as you have just shown there is plenty of things a Canadian can do to offset their carbon foot print. Not much the average Chinese citizen can do except push for cleaner energy from their government. Hence why per capita is useful because it shows what each individual contributes. 

2 hours ago, Army Guy said:

Sounds good on paper, but climate Barbie has already said the carbon tax will have to be double after 2022, meaning 100 dollars a ton, to begin to meet our Paris accord numbers...So the plan is already failed...they lied to get you to buy in....Next with all this new income coming in, what are they doing with it, beside giving a major back, are the investing heavily into green tech , ways to further reduce carbon, what are they doing to give citizens the incentive to further reduce their foot print like massive rebates on green tech, solar, wind generation....So basically what we have is we are going to tax the shit out of carbon, and then give it back in a form of tax rebates...does that not sound wonky to you...when has the government ever taxed you and then gave it all back you....then their is the question why even tax us at all...I give you a dollar then next week you give it back...., why not use some of that money and do something invest in green tech, rebate existing green tech....something after all we are in a climate emergency....I'm with you on climate, i just don't see any value in the liberals plan...it's like they have access to the best minds in the country, and this plan was the best they could do....i don't get it, its like the were caught out of time and some one spent 5 mins thinking this up...and then jammed on lets declare an emergency, that will sell it....we are smarter than that, I hope...

100 dollars a ton is the mark to push people to change their behavior. 20 dollars is a start but it should be higher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Army Guy said:

..Where harpers record comes in is in the interest rates, check the source, there is lots of them out there, interest has almost doubled, in Justins days, the how and why is mout, the fact is the have increased...by almost double

 

This is an economic fundamental please educate yourself.Interest rates increases during good economic times and hit rock bottom during bad economic times. The reason, they want to fight inflation and housing explosion. When growth in the economy is too fast both accelerate and the tool to fight back and get economy back to normal engine is to raise interest rates. This is what happened past 2 year sin Canada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Abies said:

Conservatives have very little platform other than opposite of Trudeau so it is hard to say. At the end of the day no plan is a bad plan. NDP under Singh have little to offer that the Liberals already have and the Green party still needs to get rid of May. 

They have released lots of plans. Even environmental plans Abies.

They wouldn't do their best to destroy our resource sector, they wouldn't run up $60B in debt, Scheer wouldn't call the Japanese PM Chinese twice, he wouldn't invite a terrorist to dinner in India and then blame India, he wouldn't kick bitches out of his caucus just for having integrity, he wouldn't criticize the former PM for the number of staff he has and then hire 3 nannies, he doesn't pontificate about misogyny and then say that the broad he groped "just remembers it differently", wouldn't publicly admire China's basic dictatorship, etc.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Abies said:

Except as you have just shown there is plenty of things a Canadian can do to offset their carbon foot print. Not much the average Chinese citizen can do except push for cleaner energy from their government. Hence why per capita is useful because it shows what each individual contributes. 

100 dollars a ton is the mark to push people to change their behavior. 20 dollars is a start but it should be higher. 

The carbon tax is just another cash grab. The Liberals spend like fools so they have to start selling marijuana and taxing everything in sight just to keep the deficit to a casual $15B. Most of the money that goes into carbon tax is wasted on the bureaucracy to collect it and manage it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Abies said:

Per capita we emit a lot.

This is just a statistic picked out by the climate fear mob to exaggerate our importance. We're a fully industrialized western country where it gets very cold. We're also a very large country as compared to our population. And we have a large oil and gas industry. Comparing our emissions per pop to the developing world is silly, just as it is comparing us to smaller countries with more moderate weather and more centralized populations.

18 hours ago, Abies said:

So there is a lot we can do

No, there is almost nothing we can do. Even if we completely bankrupted ourselves and eliminated ALL our CO2 emissions it would not be noticeable given the electricity ramp up of the developing world which is building literally hundreds of coal fired power plants each year. The world's emissions grew last year by twice Canada's entire emissions. If we'd eliminated all our emissions it would have been replaced in six months.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Abies said:

I already covered the other parties. The money returned is more than what you paid and people living in areas where car usage is definitely a need is taken into account. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-canadas-carbon-tax-a-guide/

This is nothing more than an attempt to feel noble and virtuous at no cost. And it won't work. Yes, the government can try and bribe people at first, which will do what? Prevent them from changing their habits! But the government's bribes aren't going to prevent industry from packing up and moving to the US or other areas with cheaper power and taxes. I'm sure 'the average family' will be delighted to get its $56 profit even as dad loses his job because Magna or whatever moves to the states. Plus it isn't going to be everyone getting these rebates, and it isn't going to be everyone who profits from them. Those who will do better are those without vehicles, ie, poorer people with lots of kids. The rest of us are definitely going to pay through the nose.

Edited by Argus
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Abies said:

Except as you have just shown there is plenty of things a Canadian can do to offset their carbon foot print. Not much the average Chinese citizen can do except push for cleaner energy from their government. Hence why per capita is useful because it shows what each individual contributes. 

100 dollars a ton is the mark to push people to change their behavior. 20 dollars is a start but it should be higher. 

Come on it's used to make us feel bad about climate change, it's not a fair comparison and you know it. In what Canadian city is the air as polluted as Chinese citys ?

The point is she out right lied when asked if their announced plan was as high as the carbon tax was going to get they knew what was required to reach Paris accords, and they lied to cover up their plan........She slipped up and let it out that the entire plan was only costed out to 50 %, it was suppose to top out at 50 a ton....Why do you feel the need to make excuses for lairs....they deceived the nation, like we were children not smart enough to figure it all out....I'm tired of being lied to....today I don't know what is true or fake....you can support whom ever you like, and if this behavior is expectable to you, fine, and this is what you expect from our PM , thats your chioce....I how ever were brought up differently where honesty , integrity, loyality, respectfulness, reliability, Conscientiousness,  mean something, something to aspire to....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Army Guy said:

Come on it's used to make us feel bad about climate change, it's not a fair comparison and you know it. In what Canadian city is the air as polluted as Chinese citys ?

Every city in Canada is as affected by climate change as any city in China.

Comparing dirty air to a changed climate is horseshit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2019 at 7:19 PM, Argus said:

So what? Honestly, do you imagine anything Canada does, even completely eliminating all our emissions, is going to make the slightest difference?

Yes. In the same way our often meager military contributions make a slight difference. I have found that many who argue that our emissions are relatively insignificant and thus we should shirk our responsibilities would be incensed if the same was suggested for our military duties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sagacious said:

Yes. In the same way our often meager military contributions make a slight difference. I have found that many who argue that our emissions are relatively insignificant and thus we should shirk our responsibilities would be incensed if the same was suggested for our military duties.

Not comparable. When we make a military contribution (which is rarely) it is a reasonably important percentage of a given mission, although I agree we shirk our responsibilities there. And it is a mission which stands at least some hope of success.

The Greens and other environmentalists want us to beggar ourselves, cripple our economy, lower our GDP, and for what? World CO2 emissions continue to rise. Consumption of fossil fuels continues to rise, and will for decades to come. Developing countries are building coal fired power plants as fast as they can, hundreds of them. The top four emitters have committed to doing nothing over the next dozen years, not even to slowing their growth, never mind cutting their emissions.

And given the forty year rule, nothing we do is going to have a noticeable impact for forty years anyway.

Now if you want to do something sensible, like build nuclear power plants, or take action to mitigate likely consequences of future warming, such as building flood walls and strengthening building codes, them I'm all for it. But this is just a waste of time without everyone on board, and almost no one is on board but a couple of dozen western countries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, eyeball said:

Every city in Canada is as affected by climate change as any city in China.

Comparing dirty air to a changed climate is horseshit.

hey balls, lets stay focused shall we, unless your trying to tell us that their dirty air is not from carbon emissions for autos, or their industry or man made is what is making this climate change...WITF do we have a carbon tax if emissions are not part of the problem...next time take the blue pill,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Army Guy said:

next time take the blue pill,

Blue Pill is luxurious security and tranquil happiness.

The Church of Climate Doom sells Tickets to Heaven.   Signal your virtue, God forgives you, tho they claim to be Atheists, it's actually a religion,

That's the Blue Pill.

The Red Pill is harsh knowledge, desperate freedom and the brutal truths of reality.

Ain't'choo ever seen the Matrix?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Army Guy said:

hey balls, lets stay focused shall we, unless your trying to tell us that their dirty air is not from carbon emissions for autos

 :lol: 

That's right, their dirty air is not from their CO2 emissions.  Both are from their autos.

And while some cities are dirtier than others climate change still affects them all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...