Political Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Argus

Islam is right about women

Now what do you think when you read that statement? It appears on some signs posted in and around Boston, and it's left a lot of people outraged, but then unable to express exactly what's wrong with it. If, after all, you see it as an attack on women, then you have to admit that Islam says bad things about women. And those most likely to protest against sexism are also those most likely to defend Islam so... difficult to reconcile.

Is it an attack on Islam? If you're outraged that it's an attack on Islam... how? A lot of people seem to think it is but can't quite bring themselves to get over the mental gymnastics about explaining how that is without themselves criticizing Islam. Thus the beauty of the statement.

Trolling the woke left has become a popular pastime. It can be clever and funny, but it can just as often be a crude attempt to elicit outrage for its own sake. Rarely, however, does something show up that is easily dismissed as ‘trolling’, but which is so remarkably incisive and apt that it rises not only to the level of satire, but borders on civil disobedience.

Think of Posie Parker’s billboards quoting the dictionary definition of the word ‘woman’. The power of such acts comes from two things. First, they acknowledge – usually with irreducible simplicity – that something that went without saying a moment ago has suddenly become unsayable. Secondly, the outrage they provoke does not come from any epithet, caricature or insult, but rather from having the nerve to draw the viewer’s attention to an act of cognitive dissonance that we are all engaging in, but would rather not acknowledge.

The result is that those who attempt to explain why the act is offensive end up simply tying themselves in knots, while revealing that they have never given a moment’s thought to the position they find themselves defending. This seems to generate even more anger, with the inevitable online mob quickly joined by politicians, journalists and other public figures, eager to see that the heretic is made an example of

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/09/26/the-genius-of-the-islam-is-right-about-women-stunt/

11 hours ago, Argus said:

Trolling the woke left has become a popular pastime. It can be clever and funny, but it can just as often be a crude attempt to elicit outrage for its own sake. Rarely, however, does something show up that is easily dismissed as ‘trolling’, but which is so remarkably incisive and apt that it rises not only to the level of satire, but borders on civil disobedience.

This article appears to have caught a lot more attention from the comatose right they seem to be the only ones commenting on it. 

As for the source of this story its probably also the source of the bait used to elicit the apparent outrage being reported. 

Spiked Magazine - Right Bias - Conservative - Libertarian - Republican - ToryRIGHT BIAS

These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/spiked-magazine/

11 hours ago, eyeball said:

This article appears to have caught a lot more attention from the comatose right they seem to be the only ones commenting on it. 

As for the source of this story its probably also the source of the bait used to elicit the apparent outrage being reported. 

Were it not for RW outrage, I would never have been aware of this sign.   

Could care less about trolling signs ... kinda like I feel about trolling tshirts.

19 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Could care less about trolling signs ... kinda like I feel about trolling tshirts.

Baloney.  You only "could care less" because it's Muslims.  If people in Canada started wearing tshirts that said "All Muslims should be kicked out of Western countries" you'd be in massive LW outrage.  You've screeched about far less being done to Muslims, you just downplay and make excuses for it when it's Muslims doing it.

1 minute ago, Goddess said:

Baloney.  You only "could care less" because it's Muslims. 

Such an amazing mind- reader.  Does everybody in your life bow down and thank you for telling them what they think and how they feel, and that's why you are so triggered by internet strangers who do not?

"Goddess" indeed.  

49 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Were it not for RW outrage, I would never have been aware of this sign.   

There is no right wing outrage.  I posted this in the This week in Islam thread and I said it was funny, not outrageous.  And it was/is.  People removed the signs and reported the signs, but they didn't really know, or at least could not articulate, what for. 

Like I said there, the only person who made any sense was the obvious Muslim woman, who said people can say whatever they want.

I'm referring to the ongoing RW outrage that Liberals exist and dare to believe differently about Muslims than they do.

Don't flatter yourself that you are the only person who has posted this story.  I've seen it posted on FB and reddit, by conservative types expressing their outrage about Liberals "supporting" misogyny and Islam.  

2 minutes ago, dialamah said:

I'm referring to the ongoing RW outrage that Liberals exist and dare to believe differently about Muslims than they do.

Don't flatter yourself that you are the only person who has posted this story.  I've seen it posted on FB and reddit, by conservative types expressing their outrage about Liberals "supporting" misogyny and Islam.  

Flatter myself?  Why would I have to do that?

Only person?  I'm responding to a thread where it was posted by someone else.

It's funny.  That's all.

47 minutes ago, dialamah said:

You support Islam and it certainly is misogynous. 

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

There is no right wing outrage.  I posted this in the This week in Islam thread and I said it was funny, not outrageous.  And it was/is.  People removed the signs and reported the signs, but they didn't really know, or at least could not articulate, what for.

Spike reported this. But there's no way to verify if Spike is being truthful because their veracity had been found lacking in the past.

What's more likely is that you, like Argus, took the bait and did what you're supposed to do which is smear it around for others ro see.

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

Yes, believe differently, contrary to all of the evidence available.  Almost a form of denial.

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Spike reported this. But there's no way to verify if Spike is being truthful because their veracity had been found lacking in the past.

What's more likely is that you, like Argus, took the bait and did what you're supposed to do which is smear it around for others ro see.

It was on local TV.  It's funny.  There's nothing your discomfort can do about that.

3 hours ago, dialamah said:

I haven't seen it posted with a sense of outrage but rather with a sense of amused contempt at the lefty islamophiles trying to get outraged but unable to articulate why because it goes against their tightly held, poorly thought-out narrative.