Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums
WestCanMan

Bloomberg

Recommended Posts

IMO Bloomberg joining the race is worthy of it's own thread.

Suddenly there's a Dem contender with the money run against Trump, and the fact that he's not a socialist gives the Dems some much-needed credibility because honestly, if someone came up with the idea of starting the new "American Socialist Party", literally everyone in the US would say that the Dems are already squarely in the center of that lane. 

The emergence of Bloomberg gives the more moderate Dem voters a chance to really get behind a vote that goes against Trump. People who grew up idolizing JFK but have j-o-bs and worked hard all of their lives can now vote for their party without voting against their own economy. 

Is the emergence of MB as a candidate a game changer?

Does a capitalist still belong in the DNC or is he completely out of place there? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bloomberg would get killed against Trump, if he even gets there, which he won't. This is the face of Stop and Frisk out to ban large soda's that we are talking about here. He's a former Republican, he's older than Biden and has no charisma. He's not even the only billionaire in the race, nor is he the only New York mayor in the race. Bloomberg only looks good on paper, he is not a strong candidate, he probably won't enter the race any higher than fourth with an announcement boost.

Having his own money to blow on the race is all he has going for him.

Edited by Yzermandius19
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Bloomberg would get killed against Trump, if he even gets there, which he won't. This is the face of Stop and Frisk out to ban large soda's that we are talking about here. He's a former Republican, he's older than Biden and has no charisma. He's not even the only billionaire in the race, nor is he the only New York mayor in the race. Bloomberg only looks good on paper, he is not a strong candidate, he probably won't enter the race any higher than fourth with an announcement boost.

Having his own money to blow on the race is all he has going for him.

I would hope that he has a chance to win the Dem nomination. The candidates that they have are turds at best. 

In ay event it will be interesting to see all of the current Dem candidates treat him like a low-down, filthy, billionaire. It will expose their utter stupidity, and show Americans exactly how dangerous it would be to have socialists run the country. The way that they try to drive Bloomberg off the stage is the exact same way that they will drive investment away from America.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

I would hope that he has a chance to win the Dem nomination. The candidates that they have are turds at best. 

In ay event it will be interesting to see all of the current Dem candidates treat him like a low-down, filthy, billionaire. It will expose their utter stupidity, and show Americans exactly how dangerous it would be to have socialists run the country. The way that they try to drive Bloomberg off the stage is the exact same way that they will drive investment away from America.

 

Bloomberg is a turd at best as well. Just because everyone else sucks doesn't make Bloomberg good, he's just yet another turd in the Dem 2020 punch bowl. There is already a billionaire running, there is already a New York mayor running, Bloomberg adds nothing new to the mix really, except large soda bans and stop and frisk.

Edited by Yzermandius19
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Bloomberg would get killed against Trump, if he even gets there, which he won't. This is the face of Stop and Frisk out to ban large soda's that we are talking about here. He's a former Republican, he's older than Biden and has no charisma.

Bloomberg's father was an accountant working for a dairy company. And yet Bloomberg managed to build himself an empire which has his net worth at just shy of $60 billion. He didn't get his money from daddy. He was a popular mayor of New York and actually got its books in order. He was only a Republican in that he switched allegiance from the Democrats in order to run against the Democrat there.

Unlike most of the other candidates he's actually managed to accomplish enormous things in his life, demonstrating vision, intelligence, ability, strength and leadership.. He's also capable of reaching across the great divide to work with Republicans.

He would do infinitely better against Trump than Elizabeth Warren, at least in the swing states that count.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bloomberg was fired at age 39 from Salomon Brothers because of a merger....he was so great...they got rid of him for $10 million.

 

Quote

...After the meeting, we ate greasy steaks and drank hard liquor. We shot pool, smoked Cuban cigars, played poker, and laughed uproariously. It was a great big wonderful fraternity party. Boozing and carousing into the wee hours. No thoughts of others. A moment just for us. We had worked for it; and whether or not we deserved it, we got it!

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/books/first/b/bloomberg-bloomberg.html

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Argus said:

Bloomberg's father was an accountant working for a dairy company. And yet Bloomberg managed to build himself an empire which has his net worth at just shy of $60 billion. He didn't get his money from daddy. He was a popular mayor of New York and actually got its books in order. He was only a Republican in that he switched allegiance from the Democrats in order to run against the Democrat there.

Unlike most of the other candidates he's actually managed to accomplish enormous things in his life, demonstrating vision, intelligence, ability, strength and leadership.. He's also capable of reaching across the great divide to work with Republicans.

He would do infinitely better against Trump than Elizabeth Warren, at least in the swing states that count.

 

I think that one of Trump’s biggest strengths is the economy. There are probably a lot of people who don’t want to vote for Trump but will hold their nose and do so for fear of what Sanders, Warren etc will do to their tax rates and the economy in general. 
 

Bloomberg already has all of those “nose held” votes in the bag. He has all the “Never Trump” votes. All the lifelong demmies. It’s like the fish jumped in the boat and he just has to hit it with the oar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

I think that one of Trump’s biggest strengths is the economy. There are probably a lot of people who don’t want to vote for Trump but will hold their nose and do so for fear of what Sanders, Warren etc will do to their tax rates and the economy in general. 
 

Bloomberg already has all of those “nose held” votes in the bag. He has all the “Never Trump” votes. All the lifelong demmies. It’s like the fish jumped in the boat and he just has to hit it with the oar. 

To an extent I agree. But that does not mean he will win the nomination. The Democrats seem determined to put forth a candidate as unelectable as possible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Argus said:

To an extent I agree. But that does not mean he will win the nomination. The Democrats seem determined to put forth a candidate as unelectable as possible.

Lol. On the surface that looks like an idiotic comment but seeing the candidates and how they are treated by the MSM it actually seems to be accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Argus said:

Bloomberg's father was an accountant working for a dairy company. And yet Bloomberg managed to build himself an empire which has his net worth at just shy of $60 billion. He didn't get his money from daddy. He was a popular mayor of New York and actually got its books in order. He was only a Republican in that he switched allegiance from the Democrats in order to run against the Democrat there.

Unlike most of the other candidates he's actually managed to accomplish enormous things in his life, demonstrating vision, intelligence, ability, strength and leadership.. He's also capable of reaching across the great divide to work with Republicans.

He would do infinitely better against Trump than Elizabeth Warren, at least in the swing states that count.

 

Yeah he'd do better against Trump than Warren or Sanders, but worse than Biden and would still lose. His governmental record sucks, he's a terrible politician, has zero charisma. He ain't winning.

Edited by Yzermandius19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Bloomberg was fired at age 39 from Salomon Brothers because of a merger....he was so great...they got rid of him for $10 million.

He was laid off due to a merger and they paid him ten million bucks. Pretty damn good deal.

Want to talk about all Trump's bankruptcies and his shady deals with eastern European oligarchs now? At least Bloomberg didn't have to go to Russia for funding. Actual real banks were always willing to lend him money for any project he wanted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

I think that one of Trump’s biggest strengths is the economy.

The economy certainly helps him, but there's no one who can point to anything Trump did which has helped the economy. Even the tax cut was entirely drawn up and engineered by the Republicans in congress, and is entirely due to taking out even larger loans and increasing the debt. Basically they decided to reward their big donors at the expense of their children, who will be forced to labour under a growing debt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Argus said:

He was laid off due to a merger and they paid him ten million bucks. Pretty damn good deal.

Want to talk about all Trump's bankruptcies and his shady deals with eastern European oligarchs now? At least Bloomberg didn't have to go to Russia for funding. Actual real banks were always willing to lend him money for any project he wanted.

 

Guess again....Michael Bloomberg was all over opportunities in/with Russia, including RFNY sponsorship as mayor:

 

2013-11-01-mayorendorsement-thumb.jpg

 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mayor-michael-bloomberg-russian-investment-forum_b_4192311

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Argus said:

The economy certainly helps him, but there's no one who can point to anything Trump did which has helped the economy. Even the tax cut was entirely drawn up and engineered by the Republicans in congress, and is entirely due to taking out even larger loans and increasing the debt. Basically they decided to reward their big donors at the expense of their children, who will be forced to labour under a growing debt.

 

Guess who signed the tax cut into law  ?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

 

Guess again....Michael Bloomberg was all over opportunities in/with Russia, including RFNY sponsorship as mayor:

And the headline on your cite is

NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s Office Disavows Sponsorship of Russian Investment Forum.

I'm mystified about how you would imagine equating NYC sponsoring an investment forum, or not sponsoring it, given they do this with thousands of events every years, somehow equates to Donald Trump and his companies being unable to borrow money from American banks and having to go to Russian oligarchs for funding. Have you been hanging around on Trump cult websites where everyone's IQ is below 80?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Guess who signed the tax cut into law  ?   

In Michael Wolff’s book, Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House, Wolff claims that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) said that President Donald Trump will “sign anything we put in front of him.”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2018/01/05/book-claim-mitch-mcconnell-says-trump-will-sign-anything-we-put-in-front-of-him/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Argus said:

And the headline on your cite is

NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s Office Disavows Sponsorship of Russian Investment Forum.

I'm mystified about how you would imagine equating NYC sponsoring an investment forum, or not sponsoring it, given they do this with thousands of events every years, somehow equates to Donald Trump and his companies being unable to borrow money from American banks and having to go to Russian oligarchs for funding. Have you been hanging around on Trump cult websites where everyone's IQ is below 80?

 

You miss the point here...Bloomberg tried to walk away from his sponsorship, fearing political blowback.

Also, Bloomberg has benefitted directly and indirectly for hedge funds speculating on the ruble for many years.

I don't understand why all you Russia-phobes from Canada keep looking to American politicians to counter Russia anyway, while your own nation's "leaders" can't/don't do squat.    Michael Bloomberg is not going to save you from the Russian boogie-men.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Argus said:

In Michael Wolff’s book, Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House, Wolff claims that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) said that President Donald Trump will “sign anything we put in front of him.”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2018/01/05/book-claim-mitch-mcconnell-says-trump-will-sign-anything-we-put-in-front-of-him/

 

Nonsense...that's why there was a government shutdown...Trump wouldn't sign off on the bill....ditto immigration bill for DACA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

 

You miss the point here...Bloomberg tried to walk away from his sponsorship, fearing political blowback.

No, YOU miss the point. Which is that Bloomberg is a self-made multi-billionaire while Trump's wealth comes from daddy, he's had several major bankruptcies, and his credit is so bad he can't borrow money from American banks any more. No one even knows what Trump is worth since no one knows how much of the buildings he purportedly owns are actually owned by eastern European oligarchs Trump owes massive amounts of money to.

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

I don't understand why all you Russia-phobes from Canada keep looking to American politicians to counter Russia anyway, while your own nation's "leaders" can't/don't do squat.    Michael Bloomberg is not going to save you from the Russian boogie-men.

Have you ever seen me express an opinion supportive of our government's position on the miliitary or foreign policy? Nope. So I am entirely consist in opposing western leaders who kowtow to foreign dictators. But that's neither here nor there as my point was about Trump and Bloomberg's relative economic savvy and success, not Russia.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

 

Nonsense...that's why there was a government shutdown...Trump wouldn't sign off on the bill....ditto immigration bill for DACA.

Trump never made any real issue of the wall until the Democrats took the House. Suddenly he's Mr. Tough Guy demanding money for his wall. He wasn't opposing MccConnell, he was opposing Pelosi. DACA was the same thing, trying to pressure Pelosi.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Argus said:

No, YOU miss the point. Which is that Bloomberg is a self-made multi-billionaire while Trump's wealth comes from daddy, he's had several major bankruptcies, and his credit is so bad he can't borrow money from American banks any more. No one even knows what Trump is worth since no one knows how much of the buildings he purportedly owns are actually owned by eastern European oligarchs Trump owes massive amounts of money to.

 

And yet, Donald Trump is President of the United States, and the best Michael Bloomberg managed politically is city mayor.   Bloomberg has plenty of dirt to uncover, and you can be damn sure the other Democrats will dig it up if Trump doesn't.

 

Quote

Have you ever seen me express an opinion supportive of our government's position on the miliitary or foreign policy? Nope. So I am entirely consist in opposing western leaders who kowtow to foreign dictators. But that's neither here nor there as my point was about Trump and Bloomberg's relative economic savvy and success, not Russia.

 

Your position on NATO deadbeat Canada is your business, just don't keep crying to America about what should be done about Russia...Trump or no Trump.

Try to differentiate between economic and political "savvy".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Argus said:

Trump never made any real issue of the wall until the Democrats took the House. Suddenly he's Mr. Tough Guy demanding money for his wall. He wasn't opposing MccConnell, he was opposing Pelosi. DACA was the same thing, trying to pressure Pelosi.

 

Ergo....Trump does not sign any bill placed in front of him.   

Thanks for playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Argus said:

The economy certainly helps him, but there's no one who can point to anything Trump did which has helped the economy. Even the tax cut was entirely drawn up and engineered by the Republicans in congress, and is entirely due to taking out even larger loans and increasing the debt. Basically they decided to reward their big donors at the expense of their children, who will be forced to labour under a growing debt.

???

Removal of regulations, trade deals with EU/NAFTA etc, protecting American industries with new tariffs on steel and aluminum, increased gas/coal/NGas production, approved pipelines, etc.

Also, right at the beginning of his administration he changed tax laws so that companies with offshore billions could bring money back into the US. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-19/u-s-offshore-repatriated-cash-fell-almost-50-in-third-quarter

It didn't bring back "trillions" but it brought back several hundreds of billions already. 

Quote

U.S. corporations repatriated $294.9 billion in the first three months of 2018 and $183.7 billion in the second quarter.

Across the board Trump has proven to be an extremely pro-business President, and the business climate is key to investment in the stock market. Investment in the stock market helps create jobs. 

If you contrast Trump's pro-business administration with Obama's pro-protest administration you can see why the economy took off like it did.

If there were two Americas at the same time, one under Trump and one under Obama, which would you invest in? Would you invest in Omerica with widespread rioting, looting, arson and disrespect for the police, or Tamerica which was busy creating a pro-business environment? Easy choice imo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

Removal of regulations,

Perhaps I could explain to you my understanding of how this administration works. Trump 'works' perhaps an hour and a half to two hours a day'. This consists of public appearances, things like greeting visiting sports teams or giving medals to soldiers or a meeting foreign dignitary. That is basically all Trump does, other than yelling at his staff whenever they say or do something that irritates him.

I'm reminded of what Lyndsey Graham said once. He was being interviewed as a possible vice presidential running mate to Trump and was told he would be in charge of foreign and domestic policy. When he asked wth Trump would be doing he was told "He'll be in charge of making America great again".

Mike Pence is basically running the shop. If there's a report to be read, Pence reads it because Trump doesn't like to read anything that isn't about him. The intelligence people brief Pence, not Trump, because Trump isn't interested. If there's an important meeting, Pence runs it because Trump couldn't be bothered. If there are administrative decisions to be made, Pence makes them. The only time Trump interjects is when he sees something on TV and decides to tweet out a sudden policy change (which takes everyone in the White House by surprise).

Trump watches TV and plays on his phone and golfs and slurps coke. That's about it for him.

13 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

Also, right at the beginning of his administration he changed tax laws so that companies with offshore billions could bring money back into the US. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-19/u-s-offshore-repatriated-cash-fell-almost-50-in-third-quarter

It didn't bring back "trillions" but it brought back several hundreds of billions already. 

And just as detractors had warned, all this did was result in more stock-buybacks and dividend payments to owners. It did not result in an upsurge of economic activity, any more than the tax cut did.

13 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

Across the board Trump has proven to be an extremely pro-business President,

Trump understands business no more than he understands government, economics, intelligence, diplomacy or the military. Policies, regulations and government behaviour are all directed and overseen by Mike Pence.

13 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

and the business climate is key to investment in the stock market. Investment in the stock market helps create jobs. 

Oh? How?

13 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

If you contrast Trump's pro-business administration with Obama's pro-protest administration you can see why the economy took off like it did.

It did not 'take off'. The economy has been on a steady, upward trajectory since 2009.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...