Political Discussion Forums
CITIZEN_2015

Lets Remember their sacrifices.

Tomorrow is the Remembrance Day in Canada. Lets remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice with their lives all over the world in Europe, Africa, Afghanistan etc. so the we live in democracy. Lets not take our Western democratic system and freedom for granted. Many lost their lives so that we have what we have.  Lets not jeopardize our democratic system either by going extreme and hence undermine sacrifices made or populate our land of freedom with those with do not believe in  freedom and democratic values. God bless all those who made those sacrifices. May then rest in heaven and peace.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Tomorrow is the Remembrance Day in Canada. Lets remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice with their lives all over the world in Europe, Africa, Afghanistan etc. so the we live in democracy. Lets not take our Western democratic system and freedom for granted. Many lost their lives so that we have what we have.  Lets not jeopardize our democratic system either by going extreme and hence undermine sacrifices made or populate our land of freedom with those with do not believe in  freedom and democratic values. God bless all those who made those sacrifices. May then rest in heaven and peace.

On the positive side... The world isn't at war. We have some stuff happening in the middle east or Africa, but any of us could walk downtown Toronto, and not have to worry about being bombed. Yes, we're lucky in Canada.... From a security standpoint things a stable, because we still live in a peaceful democracy.

4 hours ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

God bless all those who made those sacrifices. May then rest in heaven and peace.

I bet many of them are spinning in their graves at the respectability we afford authoritarians and dictators these days.

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

I bet many of them are spinning in their graves at the respectability we afford authoritarians and dictators these days.

We can honor them, by talking about the positive things that have come from their sacrifice.

Edited by PPC2019
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, PPC2019 said:

We can honor them, by talking about the positive things that have come from their sacrifice.

Empty platitudes.  Canadians don't know the history, they just fill that void with well intended but ultimately meaningless blather.

Canada did not fight the Second World War for the Netherlands. Canada fought the Second World War for the same reason as Canada fought the First World War.

To defend the British Empire.

To wit, the Canadians didn't sacrifice themselves at Hong Kong in 1941, the Government of Canada sacrificed them,

And not for democracy,  rather to keep China British

The Liberation of Europe was entirely due to the Americans, Canada's principle role in Europe was in Italy, again, defending the Empire at Suez.

In order to keep India British.

Edited by Dougie93

Basically Canada serves its boys up as cannon fodder for foreign imperial ambitions and always has.

Remembrance Day is just a big virtue signaling nonsense festival national guilt trip about it.

Don Cherry ragging on immigrants for not wearing a poppies,  I'm a decorated veteran and I refuse to wear one.

The Legion doesn't represent me, the poppy is meaningless, people just wear them out of convention,  they don't bother to learn their own history, so they don't really care.

4 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Don Cherry ragging on immigrants for not wearing a poppies,  I'm a decorated veteran and I refuse to wear one.

The Legion doesn't represent me, the poppy is meaningless, people just wear them out of convention,  they don't bother to learn their own history, so they don't really care.

You can make it political. I'm respecting the dead.

3 hours ago, PPC2019 said:

You can make it political. I'm respecting the dead.

War is politics by other means, I respected my brothers when they were alive, now that they're dead, that is all gone.

Canada didn't honor them with proper equipment, nor sufficient numbers to do the job, now they're dead and the Legion sells poppies for what purpose I don't know.

Facta non verba, Canada, facta non verba.  The dead are dead, they don't know you respect them when they're dead.

I spent half my life in the Army and I have never had anything to do with the Legion, the Legion is not the military, it doesn't represent me, I am not a member.

I don't like the way the Legion is run, it's a bunch of civvies running private clubs, they have nothing to do with the military, and they are not accountable.

Remembrance Day is a big dog and pony show for the Legion, but the actual support for the military itself is pathetic.

The troops are not sacrificed for democracy nor freedom, they are sacrificed because Canada is too cheap and/or incompetent to run a military properly.

Edited by Dougie93

Just now, Dougie93 said:

War is politics by other means, I respected my brothers when they were alive, now that they're dead, that is all gone.

We can debate the history of war any other day. For one day, we honor those who have sacrificed.

1 minute ago, PPC2019 said:

We can debate the history of war any other day. For one day, we honor those who have sacrificed.

Everyday is remembrance day for me, I don't set aside one day to honor things.

The sacrifice is about the mission.   Mission over men.

Whatever the supposed mission is of Remembrance Day, I don't respect that anymore.

Canada has never fought a single war for democracy nor freedom.

Everything up to the Second World War was for the British Empire, which was tyrannical

The one war in Korea for the UN.  A Rogues Gallery of Tyrants.

Then one war in the Gulf which Canada barely contributed to, for the House of Saud.

The one war in Afghanistan to install the Northern Alliance in Kabul.; drug dealing child rapists.

Canada has only ever fought one war for Canada, the Northwest Rebellion of 1885.  To assassinate Louis Riel, the Father of Manitoba.

Canada's great crusade for democracy and freedom is all just self congratulatory virtue signalling blather and state media propaganda.

Canada sells its boys down the river as cannon fodder, then has one day a year where Canada pats itself on the back for it.

Edited by Dougie93

5 hours ago, eyeball said:

Nope.  When you serve; you serve the regiment.   The guys to the left and right of you.  That's who your are serving with and for.

In Canada, you are not a citizen soldier, Canada is a monarchy, you swear to bear true faithful and allegiance to the monarch, Commander-in-Chief.

To resist Her enemies and defend Her Peace.  To include against any Canadians who step out of line.  Aid to the Civil Power.

You are a professional.  You do not make policy, you are simply an instrument of policy, a human weapon system,  soldier of the Crown.

Nobody in the Army is naive, nobody trusts the government.   None the less, when you take the Queen's Schilling, you are for all intents and purposes a mercenary.

Which is entirely apropos in a British military, since soldiers of the Crown have always been mercenaries.

They don't want a large standing army of citizen soldiers in a monarchy, that's how Canada could be overthrown by its own troops.

Edited by Dougie93

I'm watching the ceremonies in Ottawa.  Trudeau gov has made it a virtue signalling ceremony, making sure to visibly trot out indigenous groups, vets in Sikh turbans, having a jewish rabbi doing the benediction.  I have no problem with any of these people, just make it organic and natural, don't use Remembrance Day to show everyone how inclusive you are.  You can include everyone without making it about an agenda.

1 hour ago, Moonlight Graham said:

I'm watching the ceremonies in Ottawa.  Trudeau gov has made it a virtue signalling ceremony, making sure to visibly trot out indigenous groups, vets in Sikh turbans, having a jewish rabbi doing the benediction.  I have no problem with any of these people, just make it organic and natural, don't use Remembrance Day to show everyone how inclusive you are.  You can include everyone without making it about an agenda.

Ron McLean on tv now groveling to the Twitter Mob on behalf of Rogers, about Cherry's "you people" comments,

McLean just keep repeating "Diversity Is Our Strength",

Canada is Orwellian,

WWI was a catastrophe for Europe, with empires sending their sons to the slaughter. It is more accurately portrayed in the poetry of Wilfred Owen who made an honest attempt to capture the horror of the trenches. Here is an example of his work:

Dulce et Decorum Est 

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs,
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots,
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of gas-shells dropping softly behind.

Gas! GAS! Quick, boys!—An ecstasy of fumbling
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time,
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And flound’ring like a man in fire or lime.—
Dim through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams, you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil’s sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,—
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

My grandfather joined up in a moment of madness but lived to tell the tale. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

19 hours ago, eyeball said:

Nonsense. Their soul is happy and in peace because they see their children and grandchildren are free (they are not under communist dictators of Russia or Fascist dictators of Germany or religious fascists) and live in a democracy in democratic West because of their sacrifices. But yes they are not liked by red anarchists or right Nazis because they would have taken over the world if it wasn't for their sacrifices.

On anther note the red anarchists always see the wrongdoings by the west. They magnify the few wrongdoings by the West but they are totally blind or purposely ignoring massive crimes committed by Russia and China (their masters) in Syria, mid east and all over the world. These Russian red dictators even killed their own people in millions not long ago and colonized half of Europe but it is always the West in their eyes.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015