Political Discussion Forums
Cannucklehead

California school shooting

4 hours ago, Cannucklehead said:

Across the country, several people have sued the federal government over the ban, Blackman said, though the Supreme Court in March refused to block the ban from going into effect.

“The Trump administration reinterpreted the definition of automatic weapons and say the bump stock is covered by the statute,” he said. “My read of statute is that bump stock does not violate National Firearms Act.”

If defense attorneys successfully challenge the validity of the ban, that would have “nationwide scope,” he said.

Bump stocks were made illegal just recently due to the Vegas shooting but trump wants to bring them back.  :mellow:

Bumpstocks are not guns.  Regardless, the vast majority of gun violence is committed with hand guns.

Just now, Shady said:

Bumpstocks are not guns.  Regardless, the vast majority of gun violence is committed with hand guns.

They are not guns, but they can be used to turn semi autos into fully autos.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/amp/Houston-man-pleads-not-guilty-in-first-bump-stock-14434746.php

Investigating agents interviewed Dhingra’s relatives and discovered he had been diagnosed with schizophrenia and committed to a psychiatric facility -- which would prevent him from legally possessing firearms. Dhingra’s mother and brother told investigators he refuses to take his medication.

Despite that, Dhingra had obtained a concealed carry license, according to federal court records, and investigators discovered that he owned a Glock 43 and an AR-15 outfitted with a Slide Fire bump stock, along with four 100-round magazines.

Four 100 round magazines.  What would anyone need that kind of ammo for? 

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:04 PM, dialamah said:

Low income people of *any* stripe tend to have more crime and violence in their community.  If there are a higher percentage of black/brown people who are low-income by the third generation, that speaks to something other than 'where they came from' - it's a societal problem.

But blaming them directly 

Simply saying its society's fault I don't think will work but I agree with you any crime becomes a societal problem because it impacts on all of us.

That said Americans will not connect the frequency of gun shootings with their decision to want guns be accessible to all. They know their is a nexus or connection but they won't discuss if they want to own a gun thinking its an anti gun position. I agree with certain people who argue gun control has to make sense. It is not a panacea.  Governments regulating anything screw it up time and time again. How you get people on an individual level to engage themselves in a revolution to challenge their assumptions about needing a gun is the question. Most pro gun people in the US say they need it for protection. They don't say they need it for hunting out of necessity to eat to wildlife control-they say protection and by that they mean against other people. So what has happened in their society where they are so afraid of others they need a gun? Isn't that the root question?

People who feel the need of a gun to protect themselves are saying they feel weak, out of control, unable to protect themselves. Why? Where did they obtain that sense of powerlessness and why? Y'all ask me I have seen numerous people with martial arts training-female, male, gay, big, small, any age. They learn how to control their fears and emotions. That is where their strength comes from and when they learn that inner sense of calm then they can thank you very much defend themselves and not need a gun.

Hand to hand combat ability is something all soldiers realize is as if not more important than a weapon. There is a reason for that.

All I am saying is I hope the person with the weapon is disciplined and knows how to use one because most don't and how you control them remains the question as does keeping guns away from nut cases.

Edited by Rue

On 11/15/2019 at 3:33 AM, PPC2019 said:

I might sound as far-right on this forum, but i'm more left than the liberals on gun control. Talk radio hosts will tell Americans to buy the most powerful weapons they can get their hands on, in case the government goes Tyranical, and they need to have a civil war.

This is why common sense gun leglisation can't pass. I won't show my solidary with any idiot who thinks all citizens bare the right to own firearms.

I don't believe in the second admendment eithar. I think owning a firearm is a privelege and it should be earned. If you can't be trusted to own a firearm, you shouldn't have one period.

I think people who have serve in the arm forces should get more leeway, but even with them, it's a responsibility to own a firearm, and shouldn't be a right.

There is no reason for high capacity magazines eithar. No gun should hold more than 6 bullets. That should be sophicant for huting and self-defence.

If you took a second to think about this before you posted it you probably would have reconsidered.

1 Citizens in the US have "a right to bear arms" but that's a side note.

2 The second amendment is important enough to be respected. A completely unarmed populace is entirely at the mercy of the government, just like the people who were killed by communism and naziism in the middle of the 20th century. 

3 Owning a firearm already is a privilege, and it's the firearms in public places that are the main danger to society but leftists are entirely against policing that threat.

4 I was in the armed forces and it only taught me how to use firearms. The forces didn't guarantee my emotional stability when I left. 

5 I agree on the high-capacity magazines. 30 is a stupid number of bullets for a centerfire rifle. It's still very dangerous with 6 or 10 but you still have to reload 3 to 5 times as often. 30 is an entire classroom with no reload. There's no chance for victims to rush someone. An attacker won't be distracted counting how many bullets they have left, the answer is always "lots" if they have a 30 round mag.   

18 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

I work with the immigrant community.  I talk to migrants every single day wanting help making refugee claims. I know what I'm talking about.

I wonder how long it takes them to realize your heart really isn't into it?

You should get a new job. You sound completely burned out and cynical.

Edited by eyeball

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

I wonder how long it takes them to realize your heart really isn't into it?

You should get a new job. You sound completely burned out and cynical.

I'm not burned out at all.  You don't know anything about me.  I gladly help them, and I do it better than anyone I work with.  I give them more of my time and effort than any of my coworkers. Why would I punish these people?  They're human beings.  I have no gripes with them, they just want a better life.  My gripe is with the system and the rules, my cynicism is with our government.  Nobody should be punished for following the rules.

12 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

I'm not burned out at all.  You don't know anything about me.  I gladly help them, and I do it better than anyone I work with.  I give them more of my time and effort than any of my coworkers. Why would I punish these people?  They're human beings.  I have no gripes with them, they just want a better life.  My gripe is with the system and the rules, my cynicism is with our government.  Nobody should be punished for following the rules.

Don't follow them then.

55 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Huh?  I said " Nobody should be punished for following the rules".  Following the rules is good.

Following bad rules isn't and doing so is probably what got us into such a mess to start with. 

Following bad rules isn't and doing so is probably what got us into such a mess to start with. 

Who defines "bad"?  Everyone should follow the law, nobody should be able to make their own rules or choose which laws they do and don't follow as they go along based on their individual whims/desires.  Disagree with laws is what protests and elections are for, since we live in a democracy.

Even if I disagree with certain laws, i still follow them.  If people who owned guns didn't go to schools or rival gang territory and start shooting people illegally the US would be in a better spot.  if Trump followed the law the US would be in a better spot.  If illegal immigrants followed the law the US would be in a better spot.  If migrants simply ie: left the US when their visas expired and/or followed their deportation orders authorities would never have to do any raids or arrests. 

1 hour ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Who defines "bad"?  Everyone should follow the law, nobody should be able to make their own rules or choose which laws they do and don't follow as they go along based on their individual whims/desires.  Disagree with laws is what protests and elections are for, since we live in a democracy.

Even if I disagree with certain laws, i still follow them.  If people who owned guns didn't go to schools or rival gang territory and start shooting people illegally the US would be in a better spot.  if Trump followed the law the US would be in a better spot.  If illegal immigrants followed the law the US would be in a better spot.  If migrants simply ie: left the US when their visas expired and/or followed their deportation orders authorities would never have to do any raids or arrests. 

I hear what you're saying but this is an age where it's all to apparent that many rules are for suckers.

I'll certainly follow laws intended to prevent me from interfering with or harming an individual or their environment but given how many laws lawmakers break I can feel my legal definitions of what's bad narrowing somewhat.

Principles are better more reliable indicators of what bad means. 

11 hours ago, eyeball said:

I hear what you're saying but this is an age where it's all to apparent that many rules are for suckers.

Then work to change the rules.  

22 minutes ago, Shady said:

A guy worked to change the rules and gave a famous speech that he "had a dream".  

They killed him for it.  

Sure things are different nowadays, for certain colours.  

20 minutes ago, Shady said:

Been there done that. We need change at a more fundamental level - amongst the principles at the base of our laws.

If that means burning the law books and starting from scratch then so be it.  Nothing lasts forever.

26 minutes ago, Cannucklehead said:

A guy worked to change the rules and gave a famous speech that he "had a dream".  

They killed him for it.  

Sure things are different nowadays, for certain colours.  

He's the only one that's ever worked to change the rules?  Come'on man.

26 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Been there done that. We need change at a more fundamental level - amongst the principles at the base of our laws.

If that means burning the law books and starting from scratch then so be it.  Nothing lasts forever.

What are the principles at the base of our laws?

24 minutes ago, Shady said:

What are the principles at the base of our laws?

They're mostly olde fashioned, the way lots of governments and obsequious conservatives like them.

They're mostly olde fashioned, the way lots of governments and obsequious conservatives like them.

Example?

On 11/17/2019 at 12:42 PM, Cannucklehead said:

They are not guns, but they can be used to turn semi autos into fully autos.

A bump stock doesn't turn a weapon into a full-auto, it simply allows you to pull the trigger faster, by pulling the trigger into your finger, still entirely semi-auto. Why don't you try learning something about guns before demanding they be banned out of ignorance and fear?

Edited by Yzermandius19

23 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

A bump stock doesn't turn a weapon into a full-auto, it simply allows you to pull the trigger faster, by pulling the trigger into your finger, still entirely semi-auto. Why don't you try learning something about guns before demanding they be banned out of ignorance and fear?

That's not how it works.  Heed your own advice.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_stock

1 hour ago, Shady said:

It only somewhat mimics automatic weapons.  It doesn’t completely mimic them.  Automatic weapons still fire faster.

They can achieve rates of fire between 400 and 800 rounds per minute depending on the gun.

The M16 uses the 5.56mm NATO (.223) caliber cartridge, with a muzzle velocity (the speed of bullet leaving the rifle) of over 900 meters per second (over 3,000 feet per second), and has a maximum effective range of 550 meters, with a rate of fire (how fast the gun shoots) of approximately 800 rounds per minute.

The AK-47 is a 7.62mm gas operated rotating bolt selective fire assault rifle. It is capable of a cyclical rate of fire up to 600 rounds per minute and is usually fed by detachable 30-round magazines or 20- and 40-round box magazines.

see the Las Vegas mass shooting incident.