Political Discussion Forums
Cannucklehead

California school shooting

20 hours ago, eyeball said:

I hear what you're saying but this is an age where it's all to apparent that many rules are for suckers.

I'll certainly follow laws intended to prevent me from interfering with or harming an individual or their environment but given how many laws lawmakers break I can feel my legal definitions of what's bad narrowing somewhat.

I think when people feel they can or should break the law because others are it causes a breakdown in society and order.  We see that in many developing countries where law and order and institutions are weak and it causes chaos & makes it an unsafe and corrupt place.  The solution to all of this is to make sure we enforce our laws.

7 hours ago, Cannucklehead said:

That's not how it works.  Heed your own advice.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_stock

That is precisely how it works. It bumps the firearm back and forth so that your finger hits the trigger faster. It does not turn a semi-auto into a full-auto. 

From your own link, which you did not even read apparently, thinking it somehow confirmed you were right and I was wrong, when it did the exact opposite:

Bump fire stocks are gun stocks that are specially designed to make bump firing easier, which assist semi-automatic firearms with somewhat mimicking the firing motion of fully automatic weapons but does not make the firearm automatic.

Essentially, bump stocks assist rapid fire by "bumping" the trigger against one's finger (as opposed to one's finger pulling on the trigger) thus allowing the firearm's recoil, plus constant forward pressure by the non-shooting arm, to actuate the trigger. 

Heed my advice. You know nothing about guns, yet you insist on banning things you know nothing about, thinking that posting links you don't even read makes you well versed enough to make a decision, when it clearly does not.

Learn a little about a thing before you call to ban that thing, especially when you want to infringe on constitutional rights, at the very least.

Edited by Yzermandius19

6 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

That is precisely how it works. It bumps the firearm back and forth so that your finger hits the trigger faster. It does not turn a semi-auto into a full-auto. 

From your own link, which you did not even read apparently, thinking it somehow confirmed you were right and I was wrong, when it did the exact opposite:

Heed my advice. You know nothing about guns, yet you insist on banning things you know nothing about, thinking that posting links you don't even read makes you well versed enough to make a decision, when it clearly does not.

Learn a little about a thing before you call to ban that thing, especially when you want to infringe on constitutional rights, at the very least.

So in other words you pull the trigger once and hold it, firing of 800 rounds in one minute.

Yeah.  

I know nothing. 

Edited by Cannucklehead

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/bump-stocks

The Final Rule

The rule will go into effect March 26, 2019; 90 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register.

The final rule clarifies that the definition of “machinegun” in the Gun Control Act (GCA) and National Firearms Act (NFA) includes bump-stock-type devices, i.e., devices that allow a semiautomatic firearm to shoot more than one shot with a single pull of the trigger by harnessing the recoil energy of the semiautomatic firearm to which it is affixed so that the trigger resets and continues firing without additional physical manipulation of the trigger by the shooter.

try and join the rest of the world in this thing they call "reading".    

18 minutes ago, Cannucklehead said:

So in other words you pull the trigger once and hold it, firing of 800 rounds in one minute.

No...for just technical reasons:

• modified/altered semi-automatic weapons were never designed for such a sustained rate of fire
  • even if they could, such weapons lack sufficient barrel cooling and reliable extractor capability
  • such high feed rates require dedicated cartridge belt/chain/drum mechanisms or drives

There is a big difference between burst rates of 400/800 rounds per minute and sustained fire at those rates for one entire minute or longer.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

4 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

No...for just technical reasons:

• modified/altered semi-automatic weapons were never designed for such a sustained rate of fire
  • even if they could, such weapons lack sufficient barrel cooling and reliable extractor capability
  • such high feed rates require dedicated cartridge belt/chain/drum mechanisms or drives

There is a big difference between burst rates of 400/800 rounds per minute and sustained fire at those rates for one entire minute or longer.

Tell that to Stephen Paddock.

After Paddock used a hammer to break two of the windows in both of his suites,[6] he began shooting through them at 10:05 p.m.[29] He ultimately fired more than 1,100 rifle rounds[30] approximately 490 yards (450 m) into the festival audience.[31][32][c] He initially started out with a few single gunshots before firing in prolonged bursts.[6] Many people in the crowd initially mistook the gunfire for fireworks.[33]During the shooting, a security fence hindered concertgoers from fleeing the 15-acre concrete lot.[34] The gunfire continued, with some momentary pauses, over the span of ten minutes and ended by 10:15 p.m

1100 rounds in 10 minutes.  And he paused in between. 

Fifty-eight people were shot to death at the music festival; Paddock's suicide was the only death at the Mandalay Bay Hotel.[49][50][51] The fatalities included 36 women and 22 men.[49] The oldest was 67; the youngest was 20.[52] Six were from Nevada, 35 from California, 13 from other states, and four from Canada.[53] The Clark County Coroner's Office determined that all 58 victims died as a result of gunshot wounds.[54] Thirty-one of the victims were pronounced dead at the scene, while the rest were pronounced dead at hospitals.[13]

1 hour ago, Cannucklehead said:

Yeah.  

I know nothing. 

That's not how it works, the trigger gets pulled hundreds of times, there is no holding it down and it firing 800 rounds in a minute. You do know nothing, all you know is you can waste a lot of bullets in a short amount of time. Whoop dee doo Basil, that doesn't make it full-auto. Nor does it make spray and pray the strategy that kills the most people, full-auto firing like rates achieved by bump stock ain't shit, it's for suppressing fire, not killing the most people in the shortest amount of time.

Aim is more important than wasting bullets to shoot quicker, the shooter is more important than the gun or it accessories, who knew? Cannucklehead sure doesn't have clue. The shooter could have killed far more people firing single aimed shots, him using a bump stock and firing in extended bursts saved lives and alerted people to it being gunfire a lot quicker, he should have stuck to original strategy is he wanted to maximize kill count, not go spray and pray.

Yet you'd rather fearmonger about useless bump stocks as if they make shooters so much more dangerous, proving your ignorance.

Edited by Yzermandius19

Without a bump stock, the rifle remains stationary, and the trigger finger must be moved to fire each round. With a bump stock, after the trigger is pulled once, the recoil begins moving the trigger against the finger, which remains stationary, resulting in rapid firing like a fully automatic rifle.

:rolleyes:

21 minutes ago, Cannucklehead said:

Without a bump stock, the rifle remains stationary, and the trigger finger must be moved to fire each round. With a bump stock, after the trigger is pulled once, the recoil begins moving the trigger against the finger, which remains stationary, resulting in rapid firing like a fully automatic rifle.

:rolleyes:

I already said that. You said nuh uh, now you are agreeing with me. Rapid firing like a full-auto, isn't full auto, it's fast firing semi-auto, the gun is not transformed into a full-auto.

Edited by Yzermandius19

1 minute ago, Yzermandius19 said:

I already said that. You said nuh uh, now you are agreeing with me.

No, I'm not.  Finger does not move.  Weapon is essentially a fully automatic when modified.  Slightly less rapid and far less accurate, but when you are spraying a crowd there is little difference.  

5 minutes ago, Cannucklehead said:

No, I'm not.  Finger does not move.  Weapon is essentially a fully automatic when modified.  Slightly less rapid and far less accurate, but when you are spraying a crowd there is little difference.  

Weapon is fast firing semi auto when modified. Spraying a crowd is ineffective, single aimed shots are much more effective.

You can replicate the function of a bump stock with a belt loop. What are you going to do outlaw pants?

Edited by Yzermandius19

4 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Weapon is fast firing semi auto when modified. Spraying a crowd is ineffective, single aimed shots are much more effective.

You can replicate the function of a bump stock with a belt loop. What are you going to do outlaw pants?

I'm sure the 58 killed and 869 injured would disagree.  Not to mention their friends and relatives.  :mellow:

11 hours ago, Cannucklehead said:

I'm sure the 58 killed and 869 injured would disagree.  Not to mention their friends and relatives.  :mellow:

If they disagreed, they know nothing about guns either. There could have been a lot more killed, if the killer didn't spray and pray.

On 11/19/2019 at 1:19 PM, Shady said:

Example?

Moral universalism stemming from Judeao-Christian values definitely come to mind. 

On 11/19/2019 at 8:11 PM, Cannucklehead said:

They can achieve rates of fire between 400 and 800 rounds per minute depending on the gun.

Cite?

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Moral universalism stemming from Judeao-Christian values definitely come to mind. 

What does moral universalism mean?

23 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

It's been cited, that's not the part he's wrong about.

400 - 800 is a very wide range though.

4 minutes ago, Shady said:

400 - 800 is a very wide range though.

Different guns, different recoil, the bump stock harnesses recoil and forward pressure to increase the rate of fire. You can actually get the same result using a belt loop, don't even need a bump stock.

Edited by Yzermandius19

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/fortune.com/2018/02/21/bump-stocks-ban-las-vegas-shooting/amp/

Still, this is more of a technicality than a significant difference in the amount of damage possible with a bump stock. A fully automatic weapon shoots about 14 rounds per second. Using a bump stock with a semi automatic AR-15 gave the Las Vegas shooter the ability to fire about 9 shots per second, according to analysis of footage by the New York Times.

9x60= a lot of stupid death. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

On June 26, 1934 congress stated:

For purposes of federal law, a “machinegun” is defined as:

[A]ny weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manually reloading, by a single function of the trigger. The term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.12

https://lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-laws/policy-areas/hardware-ammunition/machine-guns-50-caliber/