Political Discussion Forums
Rue

Quasem Soleimani Taken Out

12 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Well screwing with state sovereignty is already an international crime.  Orchestrating coups is not allowed.  The problem has always been enforcing international law against powerful countries.  It's easy dragging some ousted African dictator to the ICC, not so much a leader of US or Russia.

No its not easy. The only tool we have is moral suasion but...we sell weapons to dictators so that would be a pretty short dead-end to nowhere too I guess.

Edited by eyeball

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

It looks more like the cancer has spread, in Iraq. No doubt US diplomats are working overtime to persuade Iraqi parliamentarians to change their position. They will use all "political" means at their disposal of course. So for now, Shiites have the upper hand and are looking at their own manifest destiny.

Iraq was defeated and occupied militarily. They have no say in US troops to be there it is just that US is acting in a democratic way.

1 hour ago, Argus said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but Trump has expressed his love for Kim Jong-Un, yes? Trump flatters China's dictaror Shi by calling him a 'king'. Trump has never had a harsh word to say but only flattery for Vladimir Putin.

Soleimani is no friend of mine. I know what he has done over the decades. One trip to the CBC comment section on this story should be enough proof for you that my claim is true enough. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Don't tell me you'd like to say a few kind words about the General...or do you?

I don't know Trump. But I can see he upsets you.

Edited by DogOnPorch

2 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

What we see is the result of failed neocon foreign policy from the 1990's.

No, it's the result of Operation Ajax. Every dot leads back to the day the British and Americans started acting like their enemy and overthrew a democracy.

The neocons failed because they couldn't acknowledge this fundamental point of deliberate departure from virtue.  We'll fail too for the same reason.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

Soleimani is no friend of mine.

Mine neither. Clearly he was an evil man. Whether it was worth killing him given he's been instantly replaced is another question about which I lack sufficient information to answer.

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

I don't know Trump. But I can see he upsets you.

Stupid people who presume they're brilliant always draw my contempt.

17 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Iraq was defeated and occupied militarily. They have no say in US troops to be there it is just that US is acting in a democratic way.

The last U.S. troops departed Iraq in 2011 in accordance with status of forces agreements negotiated with Iraq under Bush and executed by Obama.  

The Iraqi government requested the return of U.S. and other foreign military personnel in 2014 to battle ISIS.

Removal of the current 5,000 U.S. troops from Iraq would actually hand President Trump a domestic political victory.

Edited by bush_cheney2004
  • Like 1

Just now, Argus said:

Mine neither. Clearly he was an evil man. Whether it was worth killing him given he's been instantly replaced is another question about which I lack sufficient information to answer.

Stupid people who presume they're brilliant always draw my contempt.

Drone away, I say. The Revolutionary Guard are little better than the SS. 

The Mullah's HUGE response? Fire a Grad rocket or two into the Green Zone. Talk about stupid people...

3 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

The last U.S. troops departed Iraq in 2011 in accordance with status of forces agreements negotiated with Iraq under Bush and executed by Obama.  

The Iraqi government requested the return of U.S. and other foreign military personnel in 2014 to battle ISIS.

Removal of the current 5,000 U.S. troops from Iraq would actually hand President Bush a domestic political victory.

People pay little attention to numbers. To them, a few hundred Marines arriving at the US embassy is a full scale invasion. World War Three I tells yah.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, eyeball said:

No, it's the result of Operation Ajax. Every dot leads back to the day the British and Americans started acting like their enemy and overthrew a democracy.

The neocons failed because they couldn't acknowledge this fundamental point of deliberate departure from virtue.  We'll fail too for the same reason.

The Moon Landings were real...as was the Cold War.

You don't steal the UK's oil wells and then think you can sell the oil to the Soviets in 1953.

2 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

People pay little attention to numbers. To them, a few hundred Marines arriving at the US embassy is a full scale invasion. World War Three I tells yah.

Indeed....many Canadians have no idea how many of their countrymen are actually in Iraq as well.    SNC-Lavalin landed a big oil services contract in southern Iraq last year.  

There are far more U.S. troops in Kuwait...they remember what it was like before the U.S. arrived.

Trump could pull forces out of Iraq and put the Democrats in a real head lock for defending Iran.

• Like 1

You don't steal the UK's oil wells and then think you can sell the oil to the Soviets in 1953.

Like I said, go plead your grievances to an ICC Truth and Reconciliation commission.

4 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

The Moon Landings were real...as was the Cold War.

History is funny that way...in 1953, the "neocons" were still trying to find remains of their dead troops from the Korean War.   Tyrants !

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Drone away, I say. The Revolutionary Guard are little better than the SS. 

The Mullah's HUGE response? Fire a Grad rocket or two into the Green Zone. Talk about stupid people...

They are a lot better (more brutal) than SS. Even SS did not shoot defenseless German civilians in the back while they were running away or stole dead bodies from cemeteries to cover up their crimes.

These sub-humans have a good skill. Survival skill and they do anything to survive even murdering millions if it takes. They won't do anything to jeopardize their power. They bark a lot and talk about revenge but nothing major to force a US military invasion. They saw what happened to Saddam. It is the US government and people that have to smart up and realize the source of all the world's problems is this regime and take them out.

17 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

History is funny that way...in 1953, the "neocons" were still trying to find remains of their dead troops from the Korean War.   Tyrants !

Yes, to eyeball, Iran is an innocent lamb that was doing nothing until Kermit Roosevelt bribed the entire Iranian Army into staging a coup against their best interests. 

That Kermit was quite the guy!

21 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Like I said, go plead your grievances to an ICC Truth and Reconciliation commission.

They'd never lie. Is that your theory?

Iran is problematic but ultimately Iran will have to stand down and they will.  We have to be careful not to be drawn into another “shock” to justify more war footings and to take attention away from the real crisis of the new millennium, climate change.   We are contending with major fires, especially right now in Australia.   Iran is a distraction.  The issue going forward is how to deal with climate crisis and the battle for access to wealth, land, and resources (migration pressures).  There will be fascist responses to this that could involve exclusion policies or ecofascism.  I’m afraid we’re going to have to hammer out a Green New Deal of sorts whether we like it or not.  The right will have to adopt it or else resort to fascism to uphold the neoliberal order.  Already happening.  Not pretty.  

So how will Iran respond and what will our tit to their tat look like? One thing seems certain, Iran will pull out all the stops on its nuclearization.

There must be a point at which pouring enough gasoline on a fire will put it out right?

23 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Indeed....many Canadians have no idea how many of their countrymen are actually in Iraq as well.    SNC-Lavalin landed a big oil services contract in southern Iraq last year.  

There are far more U.S. troops in Kuwait...they remember what it was like before the U.S. arrived.

Trump could pull forces out of Iraq and put the Democrats in a real head lock for defending Iran.

I believe that's the plan...but let's see if Trump has truly gone full Bolton. He knows the optics...I'm sure. 

3 minutes ago, eyeball said:

One thing seems certain, Iran will pull out all the stops on its nuclearization.

They-Never-Stopped.

3 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

We have to be careful not to be drawn into another “shock” to justify more war footings and to take attention away from the real crisis of the new millennium, climate change.

No, I think it's fair to say the inability of human beings to better control their governance is our real Achilles Heel.  Climate change is just one more thing really.  Climate action at this point amounts to little more than people fighting over the wheel of a car as it's plunging over a cliff.

They-Never-Stopped.

According to these traitorous left-wing terrorist-loving bastards they did.

The head of the international organization charged with monitoring Iran’s compliance with the 2015 nuclear deal said Iran is meeting its obligations under the accord and warned against states trying to influence verification activities. Less than three weeks later, the United States imposed sanctions against Iranian officials and institutions that Washington alleges are working to retain nuclear weapons-related expertise in Iran.

https://www.armscontrol.org/act/2019-04/news/iaea-says-iran-abiding-nuclear-deal

4 minutes ago, eyeball said:

No, I think it's fair to say the inability of human beings to better control their governance is our real Achilles Heel.  Climate change is just one more thing really.  Climate action at this point amounts to little more than people fighting over the wheel of a car as it's plunging over a cliff.

Then we’re all fucked.  Coral, which is responsible for about 70 percent of our oxygen, is dying off.  Iran will look like a minor skirmish if we continue to let the system run amok. Trump’s refusal to conform America to the Paris Accord AND China’s lax provisions are the real problems.  America First on trade and now this are mere sideshows to justify continuing the same budgets and consumerism.  Don’t believe the hype.  

1 minute ago, eyeball said:

According to these traitorous left-wing terrorist-loving bastards they did.

You're free to believe Iran.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Then we’re all fucked.  

What's to be done? The population will hit 10 then 12 billion before we know it.

We're gonna go extinct...along with much of Earth's current diversity. This one will match the Permian Event in scale.

Good news...the Earth will recover. And Iran will be long gone...many problems solved.

3 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Then we’re all fucked.

C'mon this really wasn't obvious years ago?