Political Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rue

Can you please explain-Thread Hijacking

It is sometimes impossible to understand when Charles decides to "moderate". The grounds he uses can be contradictory or confusing and the tool used is to announce a ban and say you have to agree to it to get back on. Then if you ask for an explanation you don't get one.

I want everyone to know I was banned for supposedly hijacking a thread by responding directly to a post on a thread that was allowed. So how could my direct response be hijacking if the post I responded to was not? That makes no logical sense. When I asked for an explanation I got no response.

I am the first to understand rules and why they are enforced, i.e., inflammatory words. Sometimes however, some posters are allowed to write things and then when challenged complain to the moderator and with due respect the moderator may be allowing this to distort their judgement on subsequent rulings. Complainers should not influence moderators in future issues simply because they complain a lot. 

I have sent three questions in asking for the above with no explanation.

Please can anyone tell me how responding directly to the words in a post that is allowed in a thread, hijacks the thread but the post being responded to, does not? Is that even possible?

Thank you.

Thread Hijacker

p.s. an explanation of what is off topic would be nice

p.s.s. do moderators understand that if they allow an off topic post, and someone responds to the off topic post, they would think because the first post was allowed, responding to it would not  be off topic-I do note sometimes there will be a warning to stay on topic, sometimes there is no warning and the entire thread is suddenly closed I can get that

Yeah, I agree - if I respond to a post that is insulting or inflammatory, and there's a complaint on my post that is judged valid, then both posters (me and the other person) should be smacked.  

But, it seems Charles is the only moderator, so I can understand that it would be difficult to maintain consistency.  Can't be easy, and I do appreciate his dedication and efforts.

Three strategies to consider that have usually worked for me:

1)  When responding to an exciting off topic adventure, always preface with an acknowledgement of same and urge the thread to get back on topic, endearing you forever to the mod(s)...well...at least for a minute or two.

2) Always weave some semblance of the actual topic into your response.

3) Resist the urge to gallop down the rabbit hole even further.

Edited by bush_cheney2004
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 8:12 AM, Rue said:

an explanation of what is off topic would be nice

Taking the discussion away from the premise of the topic. 

I can give you an example:

Edited by betsy