Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums

Warning to All MLW Members - Fear and the Cronavirus


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

there are far more Asian Americans than Canadian

 

49 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Canada has more confirmed COVID-19 cases per capita than the United States.

You're argument is either based on percapita or total population, using both in the same argument is fallacious

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fear is a virus, and you've been infected.  Doesn't hurt to be prepared but let's keep things in perspective.

Unfortunately the virus doesn't discriminate and it takes many tens of innocent Iranians before killing one regime associate. That said many regime thugs and a few regime ayatollahs have been sent to

It's hard to get a perspective on this since we don't really know how it's going to go. The health authorities do say it's only a matter of time. And if you examine what is known or what we think abou

Posted Images

10 hours ago, August1991 said:

Flu/cold - same diff - both viruses. 2 of 100? You greatly exaggerate.

In northern climates, we fear "infections" - a rise in temperature is dangerous. We take antibiotics.

In southern climates, people know viruses - a rise in temperature is normal. We sweat it out.

Flu and cold are not the same:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/cold-flu-know-difference-fact-sheet.html

2% is the accepted figure at the moment. It may be high but that’s what we have to go on right now. The evidence certainly suggests a higher mortality rate than regular, seasonal flu, let alone colds. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

 

There is no argument...and no reason to be afraid of all Asians.

As can be read in my other comments, I agree with you

Im simply trying to point out you used both percapita and total population, these are very different metrics. 

Conclusions even if correct that are based on faulty premises, can not be considered valid or sound

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zeitgeist said:

60 cases in US

14 in Canada

Many trips between Vancouver and Asia.  Vancouver should be hyper-vigilant.  Toronto should also be very careful.  Both are really city-regions with high Asian populations.  

 

Check the numbers for actual flights/travel between U.S & Canada with Asia, including military.   U.S. also has much more trade volume.

I don't think going after Asians will fly in virtue signaling, political correct Canada.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SkyHigh said:

As can be read in my other comments, I agree with you

Im simply trying to point out you used both percapita and total population, these are very different metrics. 

Conclusions even if correct that are based on faulty premises, can not be considered valid or sound

 

Two different ideas that can be discussed at the same time.

Unless numbers/reporting changes, Canada does have more confirmed COVID-19 cases than the United States....per capita.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SpankyMcFarland said:

Canada’s current population is estimated to be somewhere above 37 million. 

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/canada-population/

 

 

That's great, but the discussion was more focused on ethnic Asian citizens, not all citizens.

Asians are being targeted because of the COVID-19 outbreak in parts of Asia, but the virus transmission vectors are far less discriminatory.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The news coverage is doing us a favour by airing negative scenarios regarding possible large numbers infected and hospitalized, and an overwhelmed health system. This could happen and we should get ready for it. Given the supply chains we hear so much about these days and the importance of service industries like tourism to many countries, there will be economic disruption in 2020 across the world. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

 

Two different ideas that can be discussed at the same time.

Unless numbers/reporting changes, Canada does have more confirmed COVID-19 cases than the United States....per capita.

Again, I agree with you

The point im trying to get across is when you use percapita incidents of something(a great way to compare) and are rebutted with percentage of population, then rebut that with total pop stats, your first point is irrelevant because in total numbers the US has more cases, Therfore when you envoke total population you negate the validity of your previously correct conclusion

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SkyHigh said:

Again, I agree with you

The point im trying to get across is when you use percapita incidents of something(a great way to compare) and are rebutted with percentage of population, then rebut that with total pop stats, your first point is irrelevant because in total numbers the US has more cases, Therfore when you envoke total population you negate the validity of your previously correct conclusion

 

And again, you are looking for a fight where there is none.

It is possible to invoke either data set, simultaneously without confusing the two.

But thank you for indirectly pointing out that the U.S. had zero SARS deaths with 10X the population.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

And again, you are looking for a fight where there is none.

Not looking for a fight at all, im actually trying to strengthen the premises your using to support your correct conclusions. 

6 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

But thank you for indirectly pointing out that the U.S. had zero SARS deaths with 10X the population

Dude, how many times must one say you're right? it must not happen often, hahaha

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

The reported fatality rate so far is 2/100. That may turn out be too high but it’s got a long way to fall to 1/1000. And it’s a flu, not a cold - the symptoms are mainly below the head. 

That is the rate quoted in China. The rate is much lower elsewhere, I've seen it 0.7 %

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, August1991 said:

“Be Fearful When Others Are Greedy and Greedy When Others Are Fearful”

Warren Buffet

 

 

Good point.  You can make a killing in the stock market right now.  There are so many undervalued stocks because of the sell off.  In 6 months they'll be back to what they were selling for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Shady said:

  You can make a killing in the stock market right now. 

We're not there yet, the market is off 14%, which is a technical correction but not a bear market.

Basically all the gains of the last year have been given back,  so we are where we were last summer.

It's going to have to keep dropping for awhile yet before we are into "make a killing" buy low discounts.

"Make a killing" was if you bought AAPL in 2005 at $5 a share, you're prolly not going to make a killing buying it right now at $270 a share

The markets are all inflated by the central banks, these are still high prices in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by Dougie93
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you own stocks, now is a good time to short! I expect the dow to go well below 20000 by next year. You can make a fortune shorting... Just buy during the upticks, and sell during the correction to the upticks. It's going to be a gradual decline.... Lot's of volatility, so buy and sell every week.

If you're trying to buy the dip, you're a complete idiot.... Don't expect this to be bottom. Do the exact opposite and short!

Since i've been stuck at home, i've been spending more time trading.... I wouldn't call myself a professional, but coronavirus has made me some money :)

Anyways.... What is the worse that can happen, if you buy dried beans and rice? You'll end up having to eat it over a year, or throw it away.

If this doesn't get serious.... Than I just saved myself A LOT of money, buying food in bulk.

Instead of spending $10 per pound on take out, I'll be eating food I just bought for a dollar per pound.

So if this doesn't turn out bad.... I'm stuck eatting frozen fruits and vegitables... instead of gormet food.

I plan on eating all the storeable foods I bought, so nothing goes to waste.

If you don't buy at least 2 weeks supple of storable foods, you're a fool.

This virus might have a 2% death rate, but 15% of people end up severely sick... If you're over 60.... It's not worth the risk... Don't be a fool.

Edited by ProudConservative
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

That is the rate quoted in China. The rate is much lower elsewhere, I've seen it 0.7 %

Yes, we’re at the very beginning of this, so the rate will fluctuate. Hopefully, the Chinese didn’t count all their asymptomatic cases and hospital care elsewhere may be better too, bringing down the fatality rate. Even 0.7% would be much higher than flu. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland
Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I said, even if this virus doesn't turn out to be bad... If you buy storeable food, you just end up eating it. Eithar way you save money, because you buy everything in bulk. So you can ridicule me all you want, but the food is still cheap. It's a good time to stock up. If you don't have a $1000 to throw around, that's fine... Just spend $200 on some emergeny food... brown rice, dried beans, pork, frozen fruit, frozen vegitables.

If you can't get a mask, and have to go out... make sure to carry hand sanitizer, and wash you hands immediately after you touch anything in public... Like door handles.

Edited by ProudConservative
Link to post
Share on other sites

Masks and hand sanitizer doesn't work, the vector of contamination is from your hands to your face.

The defensive measure is to wear surgical gloves and don't touch your face.

The gloves also remind you not to touch your face, which you do far more than you notice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Masks and hand sanitizer doesn't work, the vector of contamination is from your hands to your face.

The defensive measure is to wear surgical gloves and don't touch your face.

The gloves also remind you not to touch your face, which you do far more than you notice.

If it reduces your chance by 75% of getting infected, it's far better than nothing.

I agree with you... I wish I could find an afforable hazmat suit. I would spend $200 on something basic, no problem.

I can't believe that Canadian factories arn't retooling to produce them on mass. They could make a fortune when the panic hits.

Edited by ProudConservative
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ProudConservative said:

If it reduced your chance by 75% of getting infected, it's far better than nothing.

I agree with you... I wish I could find an afforable hazmat suit. I would spend $200 on something basic, no problem.

I can't believe that Canadian factories arn't retolling to produce them on mass. They could make a fortune when the panic hits

The mask is for preventing you from infecting others, it doesn't protect you.

The hand sanitizer is not persistent, as soon as you touch something and then touch your face, the hand sanitizer is not protecting you.

Carry a pocket full of surgical gloves, don't touch your face, with the gloves to remind you not to touch your face, is the only persistent countermeasure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dougie93 said:

The mask is for preventing you from infecting others, it doesn't protect you.

The hand sanitizer is not persistent, as soon as you touch something and then touch your face, the hand sanitizer is not protecting you.

Carry a pocket full of surgical gloves, don't touch your face, with the gloves to remind you not to touch your face, is the only persistent countermeasure.

It's too much work for me... I'm just not going on in public... I have no need to... I'll drive to a small town, and pick up growceries in a month.... That's if we're not under martial law.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ProudConservative said:

It's too much work for me... I'm just not going on in public... I have no need to... I'll drive to a small town, and pick up growceries in a month.... That's if we're not under martial law.

I just walk tall and put my trust in the Lord, no fears on earth.

But for those who are concerned, masks don't work, hand sanitizer evaporates immediately, surgical gloves is the thing to keep handy if you are in a hot zone, like an airport for example.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



  • Tell a friend

    Love Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...