Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums
Argus

Canada is Broken

Recommended Posts

Or so says a new poll. Apparently 69% of Canadians feel we're 'broken' and not heading in the right direction.  The poll was mainly about indigenous issues, but I would argue we're broken in many other ways, too. Certainly the poll mentioned that we have far too much partisanship (82%), but if it had asked I think there would have been strong support for the view identity politics are responsible. Now we've always had identity politics to an extent. I think what we have different now is this 'hierarchy' of victimhood which seems to convey whether one has rights to complain or demand accommodation or not.

This victimhood hierarchy is accepted wholesale by the mainstream Left who occupy almost all positions in academia, media and art, and has been relentlessly pushed and used in an opportunistic fashion by Justin Trudeau and other leftist politicians for their own political advantage. When I was young Canada was a homogeneous community outside Quebec, a mixture of British and American culture and values - though leaning British in our traditions and national symbols, as well as our major institutions. The huge influx of immigrants, primarily from third world countries with vastly different cultures and values has fractured that homogeneity but replaced it with nothing of substance.

In a desperate effort at inclusiveness, the Left (outside Quebec) has rejected wholesale all elements of Canada's culture and traditions which they see as not appealing to newcomers from different backgrounds, and relentlessly attacked and excoriated Canada's history and historical figures for not living up to today's sense of political correctness and tolerance. Into this vacuum, they have and are continuing to instill a Marxist sense of social equality, but at the same time include a clear delineation between the 'oppressed' who are guilty of the 'crimes' of their ancestors and the 'victims' who are usually victims of nothing, having but lately arrived in Canada.

This pits one identity group against the other, with all of them other than the despised 'settler/old-stock' Canadians deemed to be in need of endless apologies and policy accommodation to make up for the oppression meted out to their ancestors. Even if their ancestors arrived here last year. This is a recipe for a broken country, for tribalism, mutual suspicion and distrust,  if not outright loathing. Without a single unitary theme to bring us all together other than a putative culture of 'tolerance' and 'diversity' which do not include the majority.

https://nationalpost.com/news/one-thing-canadians-arent-divided-on-blaming-the-government-for-the-blockades

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just turned on the news to try and get a Covid-19 update.... What do I see, hundreds of Native protestors trying to stop a mining convention in downtown Toronto. We're in a pandemic. We need to pass the War Measures Act, and get these clowns off the streets, instead of hanging around in large groups spreading the virus. It looks like Justin Trudeau is aiding and abetting these protestors. If this nonstop protesting doesn't stop, we could be headed for a civil war. The people won't put up with it, especially during a national emergency.

Edited by ProudConservative
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Environmental protestors are dumb as a rock. What happens to environmental protection when you destroy the economy? If the pipeline doesn't privide jobs and stability to Northern BC, people will just find other ways to work. They will start clear cutting the coastal rainforest, just to try and reduce unemployment in their towns. So what would you rather, and oil pipeline or clear cutting of the temperate rainforest? What when people are too poor to buy food, they will just hunt and clear the animals out. We need a strong economy so we can invest in environmental technology, but when the economy crashes, environmental regulations will be cut. This is why third world country are so polluted, but these idiot natives don't have a problem with it.

 

Edited by ProudConservative
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ProudConservative said:

Environmental protestors are dumb as a rock. What happens to environmental protection when you destroy the economy? 

These are not people who put any thought into such things. They're urban children who know little to nothing about economics. And if you asked them they'd sneer at you for caring about money over the environment or over native rights or over whatever. For the most part they don't pay taxes or have ever paid taxes so the link between the social programs they believe are human rights and the means to pay for them does not exist. They're the products of a third rate education system run by rabid leftist ideologues.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Argus said:

These are not people who put any thought into such things. They're urban children who know little to nothing about economics. And if you asked them they'd sneer at you for caring about money over the environment or over native rights or over whatever. For the most part they don't pay taxes or have ever paid taxes so the link between the social programs they believe are human rights and the means to pay for them does not exist. They're the products of a third rate education system run by rabid leftist ideologues.

 

Have we seen enough? I certainly have. I'm Hopeing to see patriots boycott Tyendinaga, in retaliation for the blockaid, and throwing rocks at the our trains.

 

Edited by ProudConservative

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Argus said:

These are not people who put any thought into such things. They're urban children who know little to nothing about economics. And if you asked them they'd sneer at you for caring about money over the environment or over native rights or over whatever. For the most part they don't pay taxes or have ever paid taxes so the link between the social programs they believe are human rights and the means to pay for them does not exist. They're the products of a third rate education system run by rabid leftist ideologues.

 

Canada has been brainwashed to believe that it's Racist to expect the natives to Pay taxes. The blockaid was a giant powertrip. Well if they want our services, they have to pay taxes. If you were born in Canada you have every right to be here, as everyone else. No one gets a free lunch. I don't care what people did hundreds of years ago. Government shouldn't forced me to handover my hard money to a lazy native who despises my existence, just because I have white skin.

You know why the natives are stupid. I'll tell you why, they spend most of their time killing braincells with alcohol, and many of them are doing drugs. They arn't able to think critically. In any other country, if you throw rocks at trains, you get sent to prison.

What pisses me off, is were about to have a pandemic, and out economy is about to be destroyed... We don't have time to appologize to natives. There shouldn't be any reconciliation during a pandemic.

Edited by ProudConservative

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ProudConservative said:

Canada has been brainwashed to believe that it's Racist to expect the natives to Pay taxes. The blockaid was a giant powertrip. Well if they want our services, they have to pay taxes. If you were born in Canada you have every right to be here, as everyone else. No one gets a free lunch. I don't care what people did hundreds of years ago. Government shouldn't forced me to handover my hard money to a lazy native who despises my existence, just because I have white skin.

You know why the natives are stupid. I'll tell you why, they spend most of their time killing braincells with alcohol, and many of them are doing drugs. They arn't able to think critically. In any other country, if you throw rocks at trains, you get sent to prison.

What pisses me off, is were about to have a pandemic, and out economy is about to be destroyed... We don't have time to appologize to natives. There shouldn't be any reconciliation during a pandemic.

People are people, man.  Don’t paint all Indigenous with the same brush.  Indigenous are like everyone else.  Most people just want to take care of their families and communities, and hopefully leave the world better off than they found it. Reconciliation is possible with honesty and reasonableness. This has been a rough patch.  We shouldn’t let Coronavirus become an excuse to ignore the problems. I just don’t think that the solutions are about trying to maintain a broken system or throwing more money at problems.  However, we do need to help address the water problem.  Indigenous have to come to a consensus on reform.

Edited by Zeitgeist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

People are people, man. 

Some people are subject to the Indian Act, some people ain't.

The Afrikaaners called it Apartheid.

Don't forget, not all Africans opposed Apartheid, the Zulu's were all for it, led by their Heredity Chiefs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Some people are subject to the Indian Act, some people ain't.

The Afrikaaners called it Apartheid.

Don't forget, not all Africans opposed Apartheid, the Zulu's were all for it, led by their Heredity Chiefs.

Well this is it.  Let’s not forget that the values behind righting many of these wrongs would not have had support in some of these Indigenous cultures, nor would most of these groups have had the legal protections and force to enshrine these rights and protect their peoples from belligerent Indigenous groups. Were the Brits belligerent?   Probably no more so than most groups. We need to stop pretending that some ethnicities are better or closer to nature than others.   People can have all the title they want, but they still have to share this land and don’t have exclusive rights when something is in the public interest.  No one gets a veto. Consultations do end and decisions must be made for society to function.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Well this is it.  Let’s not forget that the values behind righting many of these wrongs would not have had support in some of these Indigenous cultures, nor would most of these groups have had the legal protections to enshrine these rights and protect their peoples from belligerent Indigenous groups.  Were the Brits belligerent?   Probably no more so than most groups.  We need to stop pretending that some ethnicities are better or closer to nature than others.   People can have all the title they want, but they still have to share this land and don’t have exclusive rights when something is in the public interest.  No one gets a veto. Consultations do end and decisions must be made for society to function.  

I am only bound by solemn oath to the Treaty of Paris 1763.     If you want out of that, the remedy is the Declaration of Independence 1776

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dougie93 said:

I am only bound by solemn oath to the Treaty of Paris 1763.     If you want out of that, the remedy is the Declaration of Independence 1776

Well it may come to that for Canada if the current structure of the Canadian nation-state can’t endure these headwinds, but there are too many good things about Canada worth preserving, SO FAR.  No guarantees for the future.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Well it may come to that for Canada if the current structure of the Canadian nation-state can’t endure these headwinds, but there are too many good things about Canada worth preserving, SO FAR.  No guarantees for the future.  

All those things are products of the provinces, not Ottawa

The Confederation is simply a failed to launch trade & defence pact zombie legacy project of the British Empire.

To keep the French in, the Americans out, and the Indians down.

The Afrikaaners called it Apartheid.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

People are people, man.  Don’t paint all Indigenous with the same brush.

Looked to me like he was doing the same thing you and so many others often do around here - painting all non-natives as pissed-off and fed-up taxpayers that are inevitably rushing towards embracing some right-wing populist leader/party bent on cracking down and getting tough with natives.

 

16 hours ago, ProudConservative said:

Canada has been brainwashed to believe that it's Racist to expect the natives to Pay taxes.

Notwithstanding (barely) the hyperbole in the above statement Canadians are incessantly cajoled and encouraged to firmly root and frame their concerns in economic terms that completely overlook the fundamental issues at stake here - Indigenous sovereignty.  The democratic frame is similarly simplistic with people throwing knee-jerk terms like nobility, dictators and of course commies fascists terrorists into the mix.

There's no shortage of paint-rollers also being held high amongst the torches and pitchforks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ProudConservative said:

I just turned on the news to try and get a Covid-19 update.... What do I see, hundreds of Native protestors trying to stop a mining convention in downtown Toronto. We're in a pandemic. We need to pass the War Measures Act, and get these clowns off the streets, instead of hanging around in large groups spreading the virus. It looks like Justin Trudeau is aiding and abetting these protestors. If this nonstop protesting doesn't stop, we could be headed for a civil war. The people won't put up with it, especially during a national emergency.

We are  not in a pandemic and you need someone to tell you enough go get help. Enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is not the coronavirus topic. Please move those discussions back there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Looked to me like he was doing the same thing you and so many others often do around here - painting all non-natives as pissed-off and fed-up taxpayers that are inevitably rushing towards embracing some right-wing populist leader/party bent on cracking down and getting tough with natives.

 

Eyeball, your bleeding heart leftism puts you on the front line of suckerdom.  Thankfully most Canadians aren’t that gullible and won’t get taken for a ride for long.  Trudeau is in hiding, trying to backtrack and do damage control for all the promises he couldn’t keep.  You’re welcome to pick up the mantle and pick up the apology and reparations parade where he left off.  Just don’t forget where the leaders of the French Revolution’s Reign of Terror finished up.  It didn’t end well.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

 It didn’t end well.  

Sure it did, Bonaparte brought the artillery to Paris and gunned the revolutionaries down in a hail of grapeshot, problem solved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Eyeball, your bleeding heart leftism puts you on the front line of suckerdom.

And that little observation puts you smack-dab in the middle of a mainstream right-wing conservative mob that all basically respond to things like a bunch of Pavlovian Rush Limbaugh clones.

Quote

Thankfully most Canadians aren’t that gullible and won’t get taken for a ride for long

If that were the case then most Canadians wouldn't place Conservatives at the head the list of parties we're most dissatisfied with when it comes to the political response to reconciliation.

Quote

Trudeau is in hiding, trying to backtrack and do damage control for all the promises he couldn’t keep.  You’re welcome to pick up the mantle and pick up the apology and reparations parade where he left off.  Just don’t forget where the leaders of the French Revolution’s Reign of Terror finished up.  It didn’t end well.

Canada and probably much of the Commonwealth is essentially in the same place as Trudeau. The Reign of Reconciliation has it terrified.  You pick up your own mantle of apology in your region and deal with it like we did where I live and where it's ending up just fine - and as I've often repeated reparations and reconciliation are one of the biggest economic drivers in my region. Plus; no one has taken my property away, no one has forced me to wear pyjamas or count my blessings that I'm allowed one rice bowl and an AK47, I don't have to practice Sharia or learn how to speak ʔUyaaƛaḥ hawiiʔaƛii. The local hereditary chief was convicted of poaching an elk, they pay taxes like anyone else...heck we even still drive on the same sides of the road as before.

You really need to get a grip and stop letting your ignorance your fears and your anxiety paralyze your ability to listen and learn from others.  That old proverb about screeching to people about something that can't be done while the people you're screeching at are actually doing it comes to mind - the fact you keep doing this over and over and expecting a different result brings up Einstein's famous comment about insanity.  This is basically what fear and anxiety have lead to - reconciliation derangement syndrome.

Edited by eyeball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eyeball said:

And that little observation puts you smack-dab in the middle of a mainstream right-wing conservative mob that all basically respond to things like a bunch of Pavlovian Rush Limbaugh clones.

If that were the case then most Canadians wouldn't place Conservatives at the head the list of parties we're most dissatisfied with when it comes to the political response to reconciliation.

Canada and probably much of the Commonwealth is essentially in the same place as Trudeau. The Reign of Reconciliation has it terrified.  You pick up your own mantle of apology in your region and deal with it like we did where I live and where it's ending up just fine - and as I've often repeated reparations and reconciliation are one of the biggest economic drivers in my region. Plus; no one has taken my property away, no one has forced me to wear pyjamas or count my blessings that I'm allowed one rice bowl and an AK47, I don't have to practice Sharia or learn how to speak ʔUyaaƛaḥ hawiiʔaƛii. The local hereditary chief was convicted of poaching an elk, they pay taxes like anyone else...heck we even still drive on the same sides of the road as before.

You really need to get a grip and stop letting your ignorance your fears and your anxiety paralyze your ability to listen and learn from others.  That old proverb about screeching to people about something that can't be done while the people you're screeching at are actually doing it comes to mind - the fact you keep doing this over and over and expecting a different result brings up Einstein's famous comment about insanity.  This is basically what fear and anxiety have lead to - reconciliation derangement syndrome.

Stop saying, “What me worry?”   Your house is on fire:  high taxes, mega land claim payouts, blocked legislature, impossible resource development conditions, spendthrift premier who can’t satisfy the insatiable forces he unleashed. It’s an unmitigated mess with no winners.  No thanks.  Count your lucky stars for BC’s temperate climate and Asian wealth.  BC is a good place to spend money, not so much to earn it.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zeitgeist said:

  high taxes

BC doesn't have high taxes, the taxes in BC are the third lowest in Confederation, just slightly more than Ontario which is second lowest behind only Nunavut,

The highest tax provinces are  Quebec, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, PEI, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia & Newfoundland,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zeitgeist said:

Stop saying, “What me worry?”   Your house is on fire:  high taxes, mega land claim payouts, blocked legislature, impossible resource development conditions, spendthrift premier who can’t satisfy the insatiable forces he unleashed. It’s an unmitigated mess with no winners.  No thanks.  Count your lucky stars for BC’s temperate climate and Asian wealth.  BC is a good place to spend money, not so much to earn it.  

There you go again saying it can't be done to someone making more than they've ever made in almost 50 years of living in BC mostly off other British Columbians looking to spend money I should add.  Reconciliation brought high-speed fibre-optic internet and water improvements to our region that's benefited everyone and I can think of 5 emission-free run-of-river hydro power plants in Tla-o-qui-aht Ha-Hoothlee with more in the works that supply power to everyone while generating a virtually endless revenue stream to the region. Plus we have some $80 million in hwy improvements underway.

Sux to be you in whatever hopeless wasteland you're from and that's coming from a guy who lives in the blast radius of a reconciliation zone - within a km of ground zero in fact. I still recall it was a calm sunny day, everything seemed to go quiet and then...a dog barked but that was about all I remember.

My kids were all born with 5 toes and fingers one is making more than their old man and the others aren't far behind. The grandkids are all fine too. Nobody's house is on fire so perhaps you're just looking at the world thru a flaming hairdo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

BC doesn't have high taxes, the taxes in BC are the third lowest in Confederation, just slightly more than Ontario which is second lowest behind only Nunavut,

The highest tax provinces are  Quebec, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, PEI, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia & Newfoundland,

Look at BC’s carbon tax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Look at BC’s carbon tax

BC's income tax is so low it offsets the carbon tax in relation to other provinces.   BC is only 5% on $30,000, Alberta is 10%, Quebec is 15%

Ontario & BC are the least taxed provinces, we're paying half what most of the provinces pay and a third of what Quebec pays.

Edited by Dougie93

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eyeball said:

My kids were all born with 5 toes and fingers one is making more than their old man and the others aren't far behind. The grandkids are all fine too. Nobody's house is on fire so perhaps you're just looking at the world thru a flaming hairdo.

You're happy with the formation of race based countries within a country . . . . . . carry on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...