Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums
Rue

Panic, Ignorance, Shut Up Already

Charles Anthony

merged "Fear and the coronavirus 2" into this thread

Message added by Charles Anthony

Recommended Posts

In regards to making a vaccine and this is again found at:https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-outbreak-end.html, it does take time to develop a vaccine. There are people currently racing to develop a vaccine but it will take time. In the interim all kinds of false rumours are being spread on the internet about cures. All a vaccine is, is a dose of the virus injected in you to allow yourself to develop immunities to the virus. In otherwords it means exposing us to the vaccine to break the chain of our passing it to others because when we get it, it can't be passe don as our body defeats its it before its spread.

"But health officials aren't just sitting back and waiting to see how the virus will behave; researchers worldwide are racing to find a vaccine and treatment for SARS-CoV-2. Because the virus has "established itself in human populations, a vaccine is the only way to eradicate it," Adalja said. 

 

Recently, a group of researchers mapped out the detailed structure of the so-called spike protein that the new coronavirus uses to latch onto and infect human cells, potentially opening the door to a vaccine. The idea is that if people were to be injected with a spike-protein-based vaccine, their bodies would make antibodies against it so that, if they were ever exposed to the real virus, they would have immunity, Live Science previously reported.

 

But the problem with vaccines is that "it takes so long to go from the potential vaccine to the animal model to the types of clinical trials [needed], and there's only so many steps you can cut out without jeopardizing safety," Cioe-Peña said. And so a vaccine isn't going to help with the spread of the virus in epicenters right now, he added. "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rue said:

 

But the problem with vaccines is that "it takes so long to go from the potential vaccine to the animal model to the types of clinical trials [needed], and there's only so many steps you can cut out without jeopardizing safety," Cioe-Peña said. And so a vaccine isn't going to help with the spread of the virus in epicenters right now, he added. "

This virus has already mutated twice in 2 weeks - so we are dealing with 2 strains now - Strain S and Strain L.  It will make a vaccine even more difficult to develop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rue said:

But the problem with vaccines is that "it takes so long to go from the potential vaccine to the animal model to the types of clinical trials [needed], and there's only so many steps you can cut out without jeopardizing safety," Cioe-Peña said. And so a vaccine isn't going to help with the spread of the virus in epicenters right now, he added. "

For new vaccines, scientists need to assess the potential side effects of the drug and weigh the risks on the sample of people tried, which is what makes it time consuming....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh come on Charles. Discussing the words and actions of the world's leaders in reference to the virus is hardly derailment.

Get a grip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Iceni warrior said:

Oh come on Charles. Discussing the words and actions of the world's leaders in reference to the virus is hardly derailment.

Get a grip.

We did kind of dwell into Trump a lot more because one of his supporters kept defending him. I was kind of expecting Charles to tell us to shut up but I guess he's feeling brusque this morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Argus said:

We did kind of dwell into Trump a lot more because one of his supporters kept defending him. I was kind of expecting Charles to tell us to shut up but I guess he's feeling brusque this morning.

I would have accepted a complaint about tone but derailment was not a valid accusation IMO.

However, it is his bat and ball to take away so here we are.

Edited by Iceni warrior

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Army Guy said:

Ya, we always had a choice take it or go home.... funney part is we all had loaded wpns , I think it was eventually replaced by Chloroquine...I remember in Yugo we had a chioce, between the two, but only if you where going on holidays to some place warm...  

The quote was from mefloquine...

I remember after I got out of basic I never even had the sniffles for 3 years. I don't know what was in all those needles we got but it worked.

Quote

my problem is not with the wife it's the damn to do list.

I hear ya. At least now it's on my cel phone instead of the notepad lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't even believe in this who thread derailment concept. Maybe next time, let people blow off some steam for a few minutes, and the topic will return on it own. Conversations have a tendency to oscillate... in and out of relevancy. That's not the natural progression of communication.

It really turns people off, to force them to constantly maintain certain conversation parameters.

Edited by ProudConservative

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I'm off to work in my empty pub so you'll have to carry on without me anyway.

I will add that of the three forums I frequent, one is completely unmoderated another is over moderated and this one seems to have the best balance required for interesting and civil debate.

GSTQ.

Edited by Iceni warrior

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Iceni warrior said:

Oh come on Charles. Discussing the words and actions of the world's leaders in reference to the virus is hardly derailment.

Get a grip.

Wot ?   You, complaining about the Mods ?   I thought you were Team Mod, Captain Olympics Pants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Iceni warrior said:

 

I will add that of the three forums I frequent, one is completely unmoderated another is over moderated and this one seems to have the best balance required for interesting and civil debate.

Charles Anthony is a great Mod because it's never personal, just business, he remains above the fray and sticks to his knitting, that's what you want.

Military regimen, like a Sergeant Major.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's like the troops round here always say "better watch out, if we keep this up, Chuckie is going to shut us down"

That's what it's like in battalion, everybody looking over the shoulders to see if the RSM is coming this way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how much more a person can take.... Who would of ever thought last year would be dealing with a pandemic? I was looking forward to seeing everyone fighting over the election, and now the way things are going to election could be called off.

Here's the latest. Italy just passed China in deaths.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/world/coronavirus-news.html

Edited by ProudConservative

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ProudConservative said:

Who would of ever thought last year would be dealing with a pandemic?

After the H1N1 pandemic of 2009, a pandemic was very high up on my list of Black Swan scenarios.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People tend to focus too much on 1919, it's not like the Asian and Hong Kong flu pandemics were a nothing burger, they both killed over 100,000 Americans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ProudConservative said:

I don't even believe in this who thread derailment concept. Maybe next time, let people blow off some steam for a few minutes, and the topic will return on it own. Conversations have a tendency to oscillate... in and out of relevancy. That's not the natural progression of communication.

It really turns people off, to force them to constantly maintain certain conversation parameters.

Thread derailment is a thing. BC and Dougie are very good at it. You can find your whole topic taken over by something entirely different which has nothing to do with the topic. So there does need to be some moderating of that. Usually we get a warning, tho..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ProudConservative said:

I don't know how much more a person can take.... Who would of ever thought last year would be dealing with a pandemic? I was looking forward to seeing everyone fighting over the election, and now the way things are going to election could be called off.

Here's the latest. Italy just passed China in deaths.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/world/coronavirus-news.html

There's something else going on here, something which distinguishes China from Italy aside from just age. I'd like to see an analyses of what sort of medical treatment people are getting there vs China, and also what sort of ages and pre-existing conditions were in place. One theory I've seen is that the Chinese have such horrifically bad food hygiene the Chinese people have a stronger immunity to germs and viruses and bugs than people in the West who are much more careful about checking food and public places for cleanliness and health.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

People tend to focus too much on 1919, it's not like the Asian and Hong Kong flu pandemics were a nothing burger, they both killed over 100,000 Americans.

Yeah but the Spanish flu killed 50 million people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Argus said:

Yeah but the Spanish flu killed 50 million people.

But it doesn't take that many killed in this day and age, to cause a panic far in excess of 1919.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like in 1919 the infant mortality was 150 per 1000, now it's 4.5

These were iron hard people compared to now, they buried their children, often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's like I have my great grandfather's diary from the First World War, and it's stunning how matter of fact he is about it all

He was reacting to having to go over the top like we react when the internet goes down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

Wot ?   You, complaining about the Mods ?   I thought you were Team Mod, Captain Olympics Pants.

Everything in moderation including moderation.

As for the Great Hockey War of 2018,

''let those who were lost never be forgotten and let those that remain ensure it is never repeated.''

 

1200px-UK-2014-London-The_Cenotaph.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

It's like the troops round here always say "better watch out, if we keep this up, Chuckie is going to shut us down"

That's what it's like in battalion, everybody looking over the shoulders to see if the RSM is coming this way.

Well like I said, it's his bat and ball to take away and I'm only a guest here at his favour.

At least I kept my licence clean.

Even discussing the actions of the mod's on PF.com got me 20 points with 30 being a ban. They only expired last Sunday...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...