Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums
WestCanMan

Trump Vs Trudeau on Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

At the end of the day, dauntless hero is the standard in the Canadian Army, that's the bar you are expected to get yourself over, when the shit hits the fan.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Village idiot on March 13th - "Canada doesn't need to close the border, like the US did way back in January":

March 16th - Canada closes the border:

 

CBC wonders why this travel ban came so late: (Haha. Got ya! CBC never questions anything Trudeau says or does no matter how badly his idiotic policies affect Canadians)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cbsa-border-airports-screening-trudeau-covid19-coronavirus-1.5498866 That's CBC's hard-hitting news.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Trump travel bans BAD...Trudeau travel bans GOOD !

...drink the CBC Kool-Aid®.

Totally.

The media said that it was wrong when Trump did it, then they said he was wrong because he didn't do it quickly enough. There was never such a thing as: "Geez, I guess he was right to bar those people entry." He went from wrong to wrong.

With Trudeau it's like "Aw gosh, he's so non-racist that he's not discriminating against people from Wuhan who want to fly into Canada." Then it's "Aw gosh, Trudeau is such a great leader that he's barring foreigners from travelling to Canada. He's going to save us all!" 

They didn't even comment on the fact that he did a total 180 in 72 hours, or the fact that if a travel ban was the right thing to do now, it was the right thing to do 45 days ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Trump travel bans BAD...Trudeau travel bans GOOD !

...drink the CBC Kool-Aid®.

What Trudeau was probably trying to avoid was a travel ban directed towards some races but not others.  That argument falls apart when the new epicentres are on the European continent and not just in China and Iran.  He should really include the US to be consistent with the universal approach, but the reality is that the movement of people between Canada and the US is so frequent, and the economies so integrated, that cutting the US off is cutting off our own people.  Many people have family members in both countries.  The US travel ban. doesn’t include Canada, but neither country has ruled out further restrictions.  The US is even considering limiting movements within the US to keep people out of hotspots.  Canada may have to do the same internally.  Trade and movement of goods should continue unabated.  International travel at this point should only be essential, for trade, health, business, etc.

Edited by Zeitgeist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

What Trudeau was probably trying to avoid was a travel ban directed towards some races but not others.  That argument falls apart when the new epicentres are on the European continent and not just in China and Iran.  He should really include the US to be consistent with the universal approach, but the reality is that the movement of people between Canada and the US is so frequent, and the economies so integrated, that cutting the US off is cutting off our own people.  Many people have family members in both countries. 

 

There are over 500,000 Canadian snowbirds in the U.S. with many scrambling to get back to Canada.   These people represent a nearly identical epidemiological risk as American citizens vectoring virus into Canada.     All non-essential travel should be prohibited across the border in either direction.

 

Quote

The US travel ban. doesn’t include Canada, but neither country has ruled out further restrictions.  The US is even considering limiting movements within the US to keep people out of hotspots.  Canada may have to do the same internally.  

 

Canada's epicenter is BC, which is already across the border.   Universal healthcare insurance cannot provide more hospital beds or ventilators instantly, as Italy has found out the hard way.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Universal healthcare insurance cannot provide more hospital beds or ventilators instantly, as Italy has found out the hard way.

 

That was a point Biden made yesterday.  His point was that countries need the ability to make beds and supplies available fast, no matter the form of system.  If early intervention is the saviour, I prefer knowing that people aren’t afraid to disclose their illnesses because they can’t afford healthcare.  I’m with Sanders on that.  Biden is being realistic about what he thinks can pass in Congress, which in his estimation isn’t a single payer system.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

 

There are over 500,000 Canadian snowbirds in the U.S. with many scrambling to get back to Canada.   These people represent a nearly identical epidemiological risk as American citizens vectoring virus into Canada.     All non-essential travel should be prohibited across the border in either direction.

There are also many Americans in Canada (not including the United Empire Loyalists):

American Canadians are Canadian citizens of American descent, or Canadians who identify to some extent with American society. The term is most often used to refer to Canadians who either migrated from or have ancestry in the United States.

American Canadians
Canadiens américains
Total population
372,575
(by ancestry, 2011 Census)[1]
Edited by Zeitgeist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

That was a point Biden made yesterday.  His point was that countries need the ability to make beds and supplies available fast, no matter the form of system.  If early intervention is the saviour, I prefer knowing that people aren’t afraid to disclose their illnesses because they can’t afford healthcare.  I’m with Sanders on that.  Biden is being realistic about what he thinks can pass in Congress, which in his estimation isn’t a single payer system.  

 

Yes, Biden scored big with his retort and realistic assessment of the acute problem today.   Sanders stuck with ideology for the long term...not of much value now in this circumstance.    The U.S. does have surge capacity with the military as Biden would know, plus a large strategic store of medical equipment and consumables.   My son works for 3M, and he reported a massive buy and production uptick for personal protection equipment.   Commercial labs and university hospitals are adding more testing capacity.

Italy is in a bad way for several reasons having nothing to do with universal healthcare, but it is certainly no magic bullet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

There are also many Americans in Canada (not including the United Empire Loyalists):

 
 

 

 

Far more Canadians make the annual trek south for the winter, and they are streaming back north now.

Canadians travel to the U.S. at twice the volume of Americans going north....yet U.S. has 10X the population.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

 

Far more Canadians make the annual trek south for the winter, and they are streaming back north now.

Canadians travel to the U.S. at twice the volume of Americans going north....yet U.S. has 10X the population.

It’s about warm weather in winter.  However, the snowbirds haven’t emigrated.  They are visitors. 

Edited by Zeitgeist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zeitgeist said:

It’s about warm weather in winter.  However, the snowbirds haven’t emigrated.  They are visitors. 

 

Sure, but cold weather is part of Canada too.   Somebody has to stay in Canada to run the country, right ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

 

Sure, but cold weather is part of Canada too.   Somebody has to stay in Canada to run the country, right ?

Well let’s be honest, it’s mostly the retirees that head south.  The young visit any number of warm destinations for a short junket.  They don’t much care about the cold because they’re working or going to school.  Sex, food, books, alcohol, sports, the inter web, and weed go a long way.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zeitgeist said:

Well let’s be honest, it’s mostly the retirees that head south.  The young visit any number of warm destinations for a short junket.  They don’t much care about the cold because they’re working or going to school.  Sex, food, books, alcohol, sports, the inter web, and weed go a long way.  

 

I guess....but I have lived farther north than Toronto for nearly 40 years with no need or desire to flee because of old man winter.   Some people just get it in their heads that an annual escape is very necessary.   

It is mid-March so much of the snowbird season is over anyway.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

Village idiot on March 13th - "Canada doesn't need to close the border, like the US did way back in January":

March 16th - Canada closes the border:

 

CBC wonders why this travel ban came so late: (Haha. Got ya! CBC never questions anything Trudeau says or does no matter how badly his idiotic policies affect Canadians)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cbsa-border-airports-screening-trudeau-covid19-coronavirus-1.5498866 That's CBC's hard-hitting news.

 

 

Closing the barn ..........after the horses had ran out! 

It's now well within all Canada!  We'll now have to deal with community transmissions!

 

Lol.  And Europe was so upset with Trump for closing the US borders!  Well - a week later - look at Europe! They're closing their borders! 

 

I get it, there's the balancing of economy to consider because once we go under, it'll be hard to get right back  up.  That's why Trump was trying to not cause any panic - look what happened to the stock market! 

Blasted news media made a big deal of Trump trying to downplay the gravity of the virus - and blasted media is politicizing, and peddling fear 24/7!     They're trying to undermine people's trust and confidence in the US government.   Our media included, echoing CNN!  

That's why the market is tumbling!  It's largely  because of the media!

Edited by betsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you're calling out JT for not closing the border to air travel until yesterday. 

You realize 45 said the virus was "under control" on Sunday then on Monday said it was "Very Bad" and that thing might not get back to normal until August. 

At least be consistent with your partisan bullshit. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boges said:

So you're calling out JT for not closing the border to air travel until yesterday. 

You realize 45 said the virus was "under control" on Sunday then on Monday said it was "Very Bad" and that thing might not get back to normal until August. 

At least be consistent with your partisan bullshit. 

Lol.  Even I, could predict things won't get back to normal for at least 3 months.  Look at Wuhan - how long did it take for it to start to slow down

- and they did a very drastic measure - forcibly quarantined everyone! 

 

Lol, when you're under a regime such as China - if they say you stay indoors - you do just that..........or else! 

 

look at Russia.  It closed its borders to China in January!  So far, if this newspaper can be trusted, they've got under 120 cases of coronavirus!

 

Edited by betsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boges said:

 At least be consistent with your partisan bullshit. 

I think at times like this, the real patriots come out.  I can see Doug Ford trying to adapt and struggling.  Criticism is fine, but fine tune your criticism in the name of unity people.

Of course this will be lost to people who live in a constant state of ignorant rage.  They can't conceive of supporting JT, even in times of crisis.  I can't understand it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I think at times like this, the real patriots come out.  I can see Doug Ford trying to adapt and struggling.  Criticism is fine, but fine tune your criticism in the name of unity people.

Of course this will be lost to people who live in a constant state of ignorant rage.  They can't conceive of supporting JT, even in times of crisis.  I can't understand it.

:rolleyes:

Take a deep breath.   Look at the topic!  It's a comparison between Trump and Trudeau!

 

Anyway, at the end of the day - of course we'll rally - united - behind our leaders!  All of them are flying by the seat of their pants - it's something unprecedented.  We all do our civic duties.  We can only hope for the best. 

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Boges said:

So you're calling out JT for not closing the border to air travel until yesterday. 

You realize 45 said the virus was "under control" on Sunday then on Monday said it was "Very Bad" and that thing might not get back to normal until August. 

At least be consistent with your partisan bullshit. 

Our god-damned useless PM left air travel from China open until we had a pandemic, now our economy is shutting down and you're complaining about how Trump's words affect you personally. Then you have the gall to call me partisan? Grow up Boges.

Trump took decisive action. Trudeau went into hiding and did sweet FA. What's partisan about pointing that out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

 They can't conceive of supporting JT, even in times of crisis.  I can't understand it.

Support what? Him running and hiding? Him failing to take the obvious, basic steps to keep the virus out? His blatant lack of foresight, direction or control?

"Closing our borders won't do anything.... OK now closing our borders is a thing.... we don't need to check foreign travellers for signs of infection.... ok we should check for signs of infection, but we're not... our Canadians who were on a cruise ship where the virus was present need to go into quarantine for 14 days because the flu is contagious even before symptoms appear, but travellers straight outta Wuhan without visible symptoms are free to stroll around".....

Of course I don't support any of that idiotic bullshit. Of course our media tells all the various parts of the story without realizing how idiotic it all is. Of course you are ok with whatever Trudeau does because you're a Liberal and you will never find fault with anything that Trudeau does. 

Quote

I can't understand it.

QFT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

Our god-damned useless PM left air travel from China open until we had a pandemic, now our economy is shutting down and you're complaining about how Trump's words affect you personally. Then you have the gall to call me partisan? Grow up Boges.

Trump took decisive action. Trudeau went into hiding and did sweet FA. What's partisan about pointing that out?

Yeah and Trump did it right away. Look how many deaths the US has compared to Canada (per capita considered)

Cause and Correlation? 

At least Canada has the ability to test anyone that needs it, unlike the US. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dialamah said:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Good one, WCM.  

Oh, you were serious!

:rolleyes::lol::rolleyes::lol:

Ooooh, you're spamming smileys. You must have something intelligent to say...... 

*70 years worth of crickets*

..... ok I'm not gonna wait for you to say something intelligent, I'll just re-'splain it all for ya because for obvious reasons you didn't get it the first time around.

So Trump closed travel from China 45 days ago, and then just 4 days ago Trudeau said that still wasn't necessary, then yesterday suddenly it was necessary after we already have the virus everywhere. You tell me dialamah, which one of those two men took decisive action, which one went into hiding and dithered for 45 days before arriving at the same conclusion....?

The answer is completely obvious, and now you look like a fool.

Go ahead, post some more smileys dialamah, we both know it's all you got.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...