Political Discussion Forums

Misguided and inappropriate efforts to beat the coronoavirus could cause 1 million extra deaths. In case you people don't get what I've been talking about here for months, this is the outcome of idiotic complete shutdown of all social support systems.

"The social distancing efforts and lockdowns to control the spread of it [coronavirus], have disrupted HIV prevention and treatment programs and put vital HIV research on hold," said Dr. Anton Pozniak, president of the International AIDS Society, last week, ahead of the conference.

Various surveys proved this to be true, including one released in June by the Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, an international financing nongovernmental organization. It found that across 106 of the countries it works in, 85% reported disruptions to their HIV services and 78% and 73% to tuberculosis and malaria services, respectively. Nearly 20% reported severe disruptions for all three diseases.

Models by the World Health Organization, Stop TB partnership and Imperial College London have predicted that such disruptions could lead to over 1 million extra deaths across these three diseases.

The whole article is worth reading-

Link

The magnitude of health care issues resulting from the worldwide stoppage has not yet fully come out. This is only one part of the problem, relating to these specific diseases.

4 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Misguided and inappropriate efforts to beat the coronoavirus could cause 1 million extra deaths. In case you people don't get what I've been talking about here for months, this is the outcome of idiotic complete shutdown of all social support systems.

Okay, it was also pointed out months ago that a couple hundred million people will also likely die of famine due to the global reaction to COVID-19.  Whatever misguidedness and inappropriateness exists in the reaction to COVID-19 is due to the general lack of preparedness for dealing a global pandemic. 

All you've been complaining about for months are commies and fascists and that COVID-19 is just the flu and that people die all the time. I think your concern for the plight of sub-Saharan people is as phoney as a three dollar bill.

The magnitude of health care issues resulting from the worldwide stoppage has not yet fully come out. This is only one part of the problem, relating to these specific diseases.

What you've been ignoring for months is the bigger problem coming out in the wake of unpreparedness - just how lacking and useless capitalism has been in the fight against COVID-19.  We've already seen opinions that state rebuilding the economy will require that measures to protect the environment be set aside as too costly. This opinion is in line with the notion that the economy is more important than people. Other than using them as a prop to help put a shine on their humanity I highly doubt right-wing conservatives really give a flying fig about millions of brown people dying of disease and starvation on the other side of the planet. People have been dying of starvation and disease forever will be the refrain when it comes to setting aside funding for them.

Yes your article was well worth the read.  I didn't notice anyone suggesting COVID-19 should be regarded as the nothingburger your ilk does and in fact the article suggested there will be a stronger case made for developing vaccines faster in the future for other diseases given how fast-tracked the effort to develop one for COVID-19 is.  The only excuse not to accelerate all vaccine development will be the cost and guess who will be complaining the loudest about that?

Edited by eyeball

Lol.   So now, they know more about this vrus:  it's airborne.  hand-washing and social distancing aren't enough!   Virus can stay in the air!

:rolleyes:

What's so hard to figure out about that one.  Really.  :)  I also said, the wind can carry it farther!

In a commentary that appeared in the Oxford Academic journal Clinical Infectious Diseases, researchers wrote that studies have shown "beyond any reasonable doubt" that viruses can travel tens of meters in the air, and analyses of certain spreading events had demonstrated the same was true of the SARS-CoV-2 virus that causes COVID-19.

"Hand washing and social distancing are appropriate, but in our view, insufficient to provide protection from virus-carrying respiratory microdroplets released into the air by infected people," wrote the authors, led by Lidia Morawska of the Queensland University of Technology.

https://www.ibtimes.com/global-experts-warn-covid-19-airborne-threat-3006299

YOU NEED MASKS!

Edited by betsy

4 hours ago, eyeball said:

All you've been complaining about for months are commies and fascists and that COVID-19 is just the flu and that people die all the time. I think your concern for the plight of sub-Saharan people is as phoney as a three dollar bill.

No, that is not what i have been saying. I am not at this point going to rehash all that i have been saying here either.

Coronavirus traces found in Spanish sewage sample from March 2019

By Staff Reuters

Posted June 29, 2020 8:00 am

Updated June 29, 2020 10:04 am

Covid 19 has been discovered in a sewage water sample in Barcelona taken in March, 2019. It is no longer clear where this virus originated.

1 hour ago, Queenmandy85 said:

It is no longer clear where this virus originated.

I think many things are becoming unclear because we bring in too many unsubstantiated claims, too quickly. This is not how science and medicine gets done. It is how a lot of people can get killed and a lot of money wasted.