Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums
betsy

Why Can'T They Give A Straight LOGICAL Answer?

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, betsy said:

:rolleyes:

Lol.   Tam has changed her tune now.  All masks are okay - better than none. 

 

 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-dr-tams-about-face-on-masks-damages-trust-at-a-crucial-time/

 

We have to assume the position that we could be asymptomatic!

 

 

 

If that's the case, you should agree with her! 

 

actually, the use of non-medical masks can help to control the spread of COVID-19, she said. “Wearing a non-medical mask, even if you have no symptoms, is an additional measure that you can take to protect others around you in situations where physical distancing is difficult to maintain, such as in public transit or maybe in the grocery store.”

Except what you're doing is assuming she meant;

the use of non-medical masks definitely controls the spread of COVID-19, she said. “Wearing a non-medical mask, even if you have no symptoms, is a critical measure that you must take to protect others around you because physical distancing is pointless without masks, probably even in your home.”

The other day I decided to wear a mask at the grocery store to show some solidarity with the folks that are working there. It seemed like the neighbourly thing to do.

I guess you just need to see Ms Tam acting like this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, eyeball said:

Except what you're doing is assuming she meant;

 

 

:rolleyes:

Lol.   She said  it outright!

 

“Wearing a non-medical mask, even if you have no symptoms, is an additional measure that you can take to protect others around you in situations where physical distancing is difficult to maintain, such as in public transit or maybe in the grocery store.”

 

That's what she meant!

Edited by betsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, betsy said:

:rolleyes:

Lol.   She said  it outright!

 

“Wearing a non-medical mask, even if you have no symptoms, is an additional measure that you can take to protect others around you in situations where physical distancing is difficult to maintain, such as in public transit or maybe in the grocery store.”

 

That's what she meant!

She said you must wear one or that you can wear one?

See where she said maybe, what does that mean? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, eyeball said:

She said you must wear one or that you can wear one?

See where she said maybe, what does that mean? 

 

She said you could consider wearing a mask in difficult situations where you feel physical distancing might be problematic. Sorry I can not believe you could not understand that...what now..does this make you a Tam denier? Should I equate you to a holocaust denier? Come on Eye. Lame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rue said:

She said you could consider wearing a mask in difficult situations where you feel physical distancing might be problematic. Sorry I can not believe you could not understand that...what now..does this make you a Tam denier? Should I equate you to a holocaust denier? Come on Eye. Lame.

I understand perfectly well what Tam said that - they're not mandatory - but Betsy seems to be suggesting or wishing they are. Come on yourself Rue. I thought you were a professor.

In any case and like I said I wore one to the store the other day out of respect and in solidarity with the stressed out folks working there who have been ordered to wear them by management...it wasn't difficult but I sure as hell wouldn't want to wear one all day long and I won't if the situation doesn't call for it.  Just like Tam said and not like Betsy wishes she said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, eyeball said:

I understand perfectly well what Tam said that - they're not mandatory - but Betsy seems to be suggesting or wishing they are. Come on yourself Rue. I thought you were a professor.

In any case and like I said I wore one to the store the other day out of respect and in solidarity with the stressed out folks working there who have been ordered to wear them by management...it wasn't difficult but I sure as hell wouldn't want to wear one all day long and I won't if the situation doesn't call for it.  Just like Tam said and not like Betsy wishes she said.

You missed my point...I get Betsy...but I did not get you assuming because someone disagrees with you it makes them a revisionist or holocaust denier.

Professor on line.  I Hate it. Its gonna end education as we know it and I am being phased out.  I get it. On line education was already coming the virus sped it up and prevents critical thinking by socratic method.

It develops rigid all or nothing belief patterns. The colleges will now be able to simply download info, have you repeat it  back and charge you. Who needs educators. This is now about behaviour modification to replace individual critical thinking by artificial intelligence directed Pavlovian conditioning to specific stimuli or cuing.

Social distancing is lesson 1. 

Often Wrong and I see people who need to be told to put the toilet seat down when flushing and see that as a preexisting issue that the virus won't  change.

Betsy needs only her common sense. She doesn't need Tam or Professors to tell her about cleanliness..I get that....

 

Edited by Rue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rue said:

You missed my point...I get Betsy being pissed by all 5yebinfo  

Being pissed off is no excuse for adding to the 5yebinfo by pretending the word can means must.

Quote

I did not get you assuming because someone disayrees with you it makes them a revisionist or holocaust denier.

Huh? You must have me confused with something someone else said. I noticed you referred to me as Argus in a couple of posts so...

Quote

Professor on line. Hate it. Its gonna end education as we know 8t. On prevents critical thinking by socratic method. It BC develops rigid all or nothing belief patterns. 

Yup, it's a world gone mad I tells ya.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Being pissed off is no excuse for adding to the 5yebinfo by pretending the word can means must.

Huh? You must have me confused with something someone else said. I noticed you referred to me as Argus in a couple of posts so...

Yup, it's a world gone mad I tells ya.

I thought you agreed on calling OW a denier. SORRY. I depend on your sanity some days is all. Thanks. You are someone I depend on for the other side perspective. Respect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rue said:

 

Professor on line.  I Hate it. Its gonna end education as we know it and I am being phased out.  I get it. On line education was already coming the virus sped it up and prevents critical thinking by socratic method.

It develops rigid all or nothing belief patterns. The colleges will now be able to simply download info, have you repeat it  back and charge you. Who needs educators. This is now about behaviour modification to replace individual critical thinking by artificial intelligence directed Pavlovian conditioning to specific stimuli or cuing.

 

The Socratic method?   Oh please.  Most programs/classes, at best, make pretenses of the Socratic method.  When they're cramming 75+ students in a lecture hall, there's little back-and-forth going on.  Most of the tenured professors I had in university mailed it in the whole way and were annoyed with someone trying to foster debate. 

Of course there are exceptions and I did have the odd professor who engaged with students, but much like public school teachers they are the exception rather than the norm.  That's what iron-clad job security does.  It's one thing to pay the best-performing educators top dollar, but paying them based on seniority or whatever is another story altogether.  

Something has to give, and governments and universities have resorted to working AROUND their militant unions as best they can.  

Edited by Moonbox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Moonbox said:

The Socratic method?   Oh please.  Most programs/classes, at best, make pretenses of the Socratic method.  When they're cramming 75+ students in a lecture hall, there's little back-and-forth going on.  Most of the tenured professors I had in university mailed it in the whole way and were annoyed with someone trying to foster debate. 

Of course there are exceptions and I did have the odd professor who engaged with students, but much like public school teachers they are the exception rather than the norm.  That's what iron-clad job security does.  It's one thing to pay the best-performing educators top dollar, but paying them based on seniority or whatever is another story altogether.  

Something has to give, and governments and universities have resorted to working AROUND their militant unions as best they can.  

The decision  to put 75 in a class is ultimately an admin one based on profit.  Preventing critical discussion can be the result admin, profs and students.

Your comments did not address the on line issue..they do wish to assign culpability to tenured professors and unions for bad education. I myself have never had tenure or any collective rights.....I have had  my share of self entitled rude students, vain profs and greedy and clueless administators but there are good in all 3 as well ..so I do no have a political agenda go blame any of them. I share my part of any blame about education.

I worry  on line  systems will dumb down education by preventing lively debate.. Ask yourself, can you sit and listen to the point someone makes? Do you even come to class let alone on  time?  Do you write notes and turn off your cell phone? Can you see or hear someone else's point and acknowledge it with respect?    Do you think on line is going to enhance your inter-personal and active listening skills?  Has the internet made  you more social and caring of others?

 Lorenz and other behaviouralists noticed it's harder to kill someone you make in person eye contact with. I suggest you might reference that. Cutting non verbal communications out which we are doing and is 80%  of how we communicate is not necessarily a good thing.

With the above in mind, I prefer you in person to show you  I do care what you have to share. I hate large hate  large classes, objective tests and turning you into a number. I want you to feel from me the respect I want show others. I fear short changing you on line. 

 

 

Edited by Rue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2020 at 6:42 PM, Rue said:

With the above in mind, I prefer you in person to show you  I do care what you have to share. I hate large hate  large classes, objective tests and turning you into a number. I want you to feel from me the respect I want show others. I fear short changing you on line. 

I'm not disagreeing with any of those points, and I'm certainly not advocating for online classes.  I think it's frankly pretty dumb that we're at the point where we even consider it, especially for elementary and highschool. 

The root of the problem, however, is money. The idea that everyone should be able to go to university and take whatever they want, I think, is a sorely misguided use of public funds and in many cases (some of my friends from uni come to mind) a waste of resources.  While you definitely want to make sure that people have the opportunity to get a post-secondary education, I don't think we need to be paying to drag people who don't care and don't try through their 3 and 4 year degrees.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Yer dead right Moon..you know that..lol some of us  profs do listen to you..hang in...

Edited by Rue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The tragic thing about all of this is that there ARE lots of good teachers, professors and EAs out there.  There are a lot of bad and indifferent ones too.  Sadly in my program (Business) the best professors were on contract and only taught one or two classes a year and ran successful businesses for the majority of their time.  The actual tenured professors were a waste of time other than the odd exception.  At least with universities and colleges you can review your professors and the administration DOES take that into account where they can with those on contract.  My third year Finance professor was suspended for a year after my cohort took his finance class. 

In the public schools (or professors with tenure), however, we have no such mechanism.  Bad teachers or lazy teachers (which at this point I'd argue are the majority) have iron-clad job security and thus no motivation to make the extra effort.  We, of course, are supposed to believe that they're all martyrs and that the fact that some of them pay for classroom art supplies makes up for their phenomenal wages, benefits and job security, but that's far from the truth.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

The tragic thing about all of this is that there ARE lots of good teachers, professors and EAs out there.  There are a lot of bad and indifferent ones too.  Sadly in my program (Business) the best professors were on contract and only taught one or two classes a year and ran successful businesses for the majority of their time.  The actual tenured professors were a waste of time other than the odd exception.  At least with universities and colleges you can review your professors and the administration DOES take that into account where they can with those on contract.  My third year Finance professor was suspended for a year after my cohort took his finance class. 

In the public schools (or professors with tenure), however, we have no such mechanism.  Bad teachers or lazy teachers (which at this point I'd argue are the majority) have iron-clad job security and thus no motivation to make the extra effort.  We, of course, are supposed to believe that they're all martyrs and that the fact that some of them pay for classroom art supplies makes up for their phenomenal wages, benefits and job security, but that's far from the truth.   

Same as what I have seen and experienced. 

 

Edited by Rue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...