Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Right To Left said:

IN what country are you paying inheritance taxes? We don't have/but should have an inheritance tax in Canada. ......

No we shouldn't,  we worked hard all our lives, but not for marxists who think I shouldn't be able to leave it to the kids.  go make your own money.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, scribblet said:

No we shouldn't,  we worked hard all our lives, but not for marxists who think I shouldn't be able to leave it to the kids.  go make your own money.

By its very nature, an inheritance is NOT money or property you worked for! 

If it's a small inheritance, an inheritance tax after the first 100 or $200,000 that's progressive and takes higher percentages when we get to million and multimillion dollar inheritances is only fair! Because allowing the rich to pass on all of their ill-gotten accumulated wealth to their heirs is aristocracy/not democracy of any kind! 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2020 at 1:39 PM, Moonlight Graham said:

It's freedom. Freedom to succeed or freedom to not, based on your own choices.  That's equality of opportunity.

Equality of outcome isn't good, because there is no reward for making good choices and no punishment for making bad choices.

People feel sorry for the poor, instead of encouraging them to improve their life choices. People resent the rich, instead of admiring them for making good choices.

So, if we lived in a world where basic needs: food, shelter, healthcare were either free or cheap enough for the poorest people to afford.....that would be bad for people? Make them lose the incentive to work for something more or something better! 

I hate the rich/I don't resent them! They're pigs who are money-driven and don't give a shit about people....even the people in their own lives- family. Every relationship for the rich is monetized and transactional. So, they can't trust anyone around them, because they might fear they are just trying to steal their money!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Why?  Why do you want to steal other people's money?  I suggest getting off your lazy bum and making your own money.

I'm almost 63, and have been planning to retire at the end of this year....see how things go now of course! But don't go making assumptions about people you don't know....I've been working long enough now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Right To Left said:

I hate the rich/I don't resent them! They're pigs who are money-driven and don't give a shit about people....even the people in their own lives- family. Every relationship for the rich is monetized and transactional. So, they can't trust anyone around them, because they might fear they are just trying to steal their money!

So you're saying Warren Buffett and Bill Gates don't give a shit about people?  Oh ok.  You just sound bitter because their lives are better than yours.  Bill Gates has helped the lives of more poor people than you ever will even meet, let alone help yourself.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Right To Left said:

I'm almost 63, and have been planning to retire at the end of this year....see how things go now of course! But don't go making assumptions about people you don't know....I've been working long enough now!

Ok, I assume you have your own money from your own efforts then.  Can I have some of it for free even though I did nothing to deserve it?  I assume you'll give your money to charity when you die and not your kids.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Right To Left said:

By is very nature, an inheritance is NOT money or property you worked for!   ......

Really, coulda fooled me, so our RSPs and savings that have grown from investments are not my money that we worked for and put aside, I totally disagree.  My money, my property should go to the kids, not to greedy grasping Marxists who lust after other people's money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Right To Left said:

Complete nonsense in an age when many working people with low-paying jobs can't afford rent in large cities like Vancouver and Toronto. And that has a spill over effect on smaller cities further away from the urban core. 

You dismiss it as complete nonsense and give no reasons. What causes high rent? Shortage. What causes shortage? High demand and short supply. The high demand for cheap accommodation in Canada is driven in large part by immigration, refugees, TFWs and foreign students.  The short supply is driven by government regulations and bureacracy discouraging companies and individuals from building rental housing

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Ok, I assume you have your own money from your own efforts then.

No one has anything solely due to their own efforts.

9 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Can I have some of it for free even though I did nothing to deserve it?

You have gotten so much in your life already that you don't 'deserve'. Do you even deserve to be alive right now? Did you do something to deserve that more than the next person who died yesterday? Are you just too good to die?

9 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

I assume you'll give your money to charity when you die and not your kids.

It is not a problem to leave your property to your heirs. It is a problem to hoard money. Money should be spent as one gathers it, more or less, and a good portion of the money should be given to those who need it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Marocc said:

It is not a problem to leave your property to your heirs. It is a problem to hoard money. Money should be spent as one gathers it, more or less, and a good portion of the money should be given to those who need it.

People can do whatever they wish with their own money.  It's theirs.  They can keep it all, burn it, save it, hoard it, spend it, invest it, give it all away.  Who cares.  It's none of our business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Right To Left said:

So, if we lived in a world where basic needs: food, shelter, healthcare were either free or cheap enough for the poorest people to afford.....that would be bad for people? Make them lose the incentive to work for something more or something better! 

Yes. I was one of those poor, doing a shitty job on the midnight shift. I assure you if the government had been willing to just give me money I would have stayed home playing video games.

10 hours ago, Right To Left said:

I hate the rich/I don't resent them! They're pigs who are money-driven and don't give a shit about people....even the people in their own lives- family. Every relationship for the rich is monetized and transactional. So, they can't trust anyone around them, because they might fear they are just trying to steal their money!

This is mindless, cliche'd nonsense. It might be true of the likes of Donald Trump but he is an outlier. Few people are as greedy and lacking in empathy as him. Jack Dorsey just vowed to spend a billion dollars to help fight the coronavirus. Bill Gates is setting up actual factories to process vaccines, even though he knows some of them will fail. Warren Buffet has said he intends to leave all his vast fortune to charity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Right To Left said:

By its very nature, an inheritance is NOT money or property you worked for! 

If it's a small inheritance, an inheritance tax after the first 100 or $200,000 that's progressive and takes higher percentages when we get to million and multimillion dollar inheritances is only fair! Because allowing the rich to pass on all of their ill-gotten accumulated wealth to their heirs is aristocracy/not democracy of any kind! 

A farm and its equipment can easily be worth more than a million, or even two million. Or what about a small business someone has started and grown for decades, perhaps even a restaurant. What if that person's kids have been involved in the business as well and he wants to leave that business to them? He's not allowed to? It's got to go to the government?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Marocc said:

It is not a problem to leave your property to your heirs. It is a problem to hoard money. Money should be spent as one gathers it, more or less, and a good portion of the money should be given to those who need it.

What is the difference between hoarding money and saving money for a rainy day or your retirement?

Why should I give my money, which I earned, to someone who did not earn it? Especially if that person never bothered to do anything in his or her life to improve themselves?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Argus said:

Why should I give my money, which I earned, to someone who did not earn it? Especially if that person never bothered to do anything in his or her life to improve themselves?

Because if you have more money than someone else it means you're evil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

So you're saying Warren Buffett and Bill Gates don't give a shit about people?  Oh ok.  You just sound bitter because their lives are better than yours.  Bill Gates has helped the lives of more poor people than you ever will even meet, let alone help yourself.

Liberal billionaires like Buffet, Soros and Gates, care about image and PR above all else! They want to be highly esteemed and admired by the plebes. 

Buffett makes the occasional comment feigning concern for working class: musing about how his tax rate is less than his secretary's...doesn't do anything about it, so who gives a shit!

Soros made most of his fortune through arbitrage...destroying currency values, starting with the British Pound. Gets treated as liberal hero for sponsoring liberals who don't challenge capitalism or western imperialism. Stupidest thing rightwingers always have to say about Soros, is calling him a communist or a leftist. Do some reading and do some research!

Gates is pushing himself as a vaccine creator, and even if he does put his own money rather than the usual tax dodge and demands for matching government funding, it doesn't mask the fact that he's built up a multibillion dollar empire through stealing other people's ideas and setting up monopolies.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Argus said:

What is the difference between hoarding money and saving money for a rainy day or your retirement?

Intention, amount and your actual needs.

5 hours ago, Argus said:

Why should I give my money, which I earned, to someone who did not earn it?

Because they need some of it and you don't need that part.

5 hours ago, Argus said:

Especially if that person never bothered to do anything in his or her life to improve themselves?

a) What about the rest of them?

b) it is better to give the needy if they, to you, don't seem to work hard enough, than to refrain from giving to someone who really needs it, because of your unnecessary suspicions.

c) if they haven't, they still need help at that moment. You can encourage them and/or make it easier for them to care for themselves (including fixing their desperate situation).

d) how do you decide who has "never bothered to do anything........."?

e) some people may seem to you like they don't try or work hard or they appear lazy and unwilling to work, and yet they might have a good reason for both their situation and their attitude.

Edited by Marocc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Marocc said:

Intention, amount and your actual needs.

How do I know what my actual needs are? I might be dead at 60. I might live to 90.

8 minutes ago, Marocc said:

Because they need some of it and you don't need that part.

If I don't know how much I need, you certainly don't. And I might point out, if I know the government is going to steal my money over a certain level I will begin to work less so as to not go over this level. So will most others. That leads to a downfall in productivity and less money for the government.

8 minutes ago, Marocc said:

e) some people may seem to you like they don't try or work hard or they appear lazy and unwilling to work, and yet they might have a good reason for both their situation and their attitude.

Just about the only acceptable reason would be physical or mental disability. Dropping out of high school to play video games and then working at scut work for the next ten years doesn't qualify.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Communism is evil.

So, I worked hard and saved but because you didn't,  I have to give you mine...   sure, let's all be equally poor.  our system has a social safety net for those in need,  we don't  need to confiscate other people's money.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Argus said:

You dismiss it as complete nonsense and give no reasons. What causes high rent? Shortage. What causes shortage? High demand and short supply. The high demand for cheap accommodation in Canada is driven in large part by immigration, refugees, TFWs and foreign students.  The short supply is driven by government regulations and bureacracy discouraging companies and individuals from building rental housing

 

One factor in creating high rents and housing costs that could never have happened before 40 years ago, when you still had to pay 25% down on a house before you got the mortgage, and the best the banks would do was give you a 2nd mortgage for 15%- leaving you still having to pay 10% down. 

Now there is so much free money sloshing around, created by the world's central banks, that the chartered banks feel free to mortgage the entire value of a property to anyone with a job....who has to slave away for 30 years paying the damn thing off and may likely see other bills piling up waiting for them when they finally are mortgage-free.

This is the shit that has driven up costs of living for everyone down the line. And those at the end of the line who were living in the cheapest, grungiest apartments and rooming houses, end up out on the street because the building is mortgaged and the owner wants to charge higher rents to pay off his mortgage!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Marocc said:

No one has anything solely due to their own efforts.

You have gotten so much in your life already that you don't 'deserve'. Do you even deserve to be alive right now? Did you do something to deserve that more than the next person who died yesterday? Are you just too good to die?

It is not a problem to leave your property to your heirs. It is a problem to hoard money. Money should be spent as one gathers it, more or less, and a good portion of the money should be given to those who need it.

Very true! The radical individualism of the modern era is a blip in history that only a privileged minority could indulge in during past times. Primitive societies depended on each other in the community for survival; and later farming and herding cultures also understood the need to consider the importance of family and extended family.

I feel fortunate that I grew up during a time in Canada when you could earn a decent living working with your hands and having no college or university education. Anyone who learned a trade could make good money. But that started changing in the 80's when the plutocrats felt working people were getting it a little too good, and wanted to drop everyone down to the wage levels of exploited labor in third world countries. 

More and more working people who are just trying to survive are already understanding that libertarian notions are of no value, and they need strong families and communities for support today!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Right To Left said:

One factor in creating high rents and housing costs that could never have happened before 40 years ago, when you still had to pay 25% down on a house before you got the mortgage, and the best the banks would do was give you a 2nd mortgage for 15%- leaving you still having to pay 10% down. 

No. Allowing lower down payments allows more people to buy their own home. It doesn't discourage people from building rental housing. Government regulations do that. As for the high price of housing. Have a look at this.

Government housing regulations are a key force behind rising prices for new homes in Canada’s costliest cities, according to policy-research group C.D. Howe Institute.

Zoning rules, delays on permit approvals and municipal development fees all contributed to a steep increase in prices of single-family detached houses across Canada, C.D. Howe said in a report Tuesday. The study focused on eight areas -- including Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver and Ottawa-Gatineau -- where new-home prices are more than 20 percent higher than the cost of construction. In those cities, barriers to homebuilding added an average of C$229,000 ($179,000) to the price of a house from 2007 to 2016, the group said.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/government-rules-add-to-rising-home-prices-in-canada-study-says-1.1077063

Or this: Pay particular attention to the chart which shows that in Canada, government fees add an average of $223,000 to the cost of a low rise home in Canada vs $69,000 in the US.

http://bildgta.ca/Assets/Bild/FINAL - BILD - Comparison of Government Charges in Canada and US - Sept 13 2019.pdf

 

1 hour ago, Right To Left said:

Now there is so much free money sloshing around, created by the world's central banks, that the chartered banks feel free to mortgage the entire value of a property to anyone with a job....

Well, more appropriate to say that since the government insures any new home loans with less than a 25% down payment the banks feel secure in making such loans.

1 hour ago, Right To Left said:

And those at the end of the line who were living in the cheapest, grungiest apartments and rooming houses, end up out on the street because the building is mortgaged and the owner wants to charge higher rents to pay off his mortgage!

Half a million temporary foreign workers. Half a million foreign students. Almost four hundred thousand immigrants a year, 50,000 refugee applicants a year, all searching for cheap accommodation...  Meanwhile if you own a rental apartment you can't raise the rent more than the government tells you you can, regardless of the market, and can't evict people no matter what they do without at least six months of legal fights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Right To Left said:

Gates is pushing himself as a vaccine creator, and even if he does put his own money rather than the usual tax dodge and demands for matching government funding, it doesn't mask the fact that he's built up a multibillion dollar empire through stealing other people's ideas and setting up monopolies.

Most of Gates' wealth is based on selling a gazillion copes of DOS and Windows, which he himself created.  You are accusing him of IP theft somehow?

Bill Gates' software enabled for vast increases in productivity for countless businesses, teachers, students, governments etc and has helped create ridiculous amounts of more wealth for these people, even helping to lift billions out of poverty.  But he's evil?  Ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, scribblet said:

Communism is evil.

So, I worked hard and saved but because you didn't,  I have to give you mine...   sure, let's all be equally poor.  our system has a social safety net for those in need,  we don't  need to confiscate other people's money.

Even CPP is for people too dumb enough to save for their own retirement.  I'd rather keep my own CPP contributions and invest them myself, but alas some people are stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, scribblet said:

our system has a social safety net for those in need,  we don't  need to confiscate other people's money.

That comes from other people's money. So whether you like it or not, you're already giving money to those who have less of it.

12 hours ago, scribblet said:

So, I worked hard and saved but because you didn't,  I have to give you mine...

Many people who save significant amounts of money, do so because their income is so great that they can save money simply by refraining from luxuries. While if you have to struggle each month to pay your bills, clothing and food, you're unlikely — and it would perhaps be dumb to do so — to save that little money left each month; you might as well buy shoes that don't have holes in the bottoms.

also, not all charity goes to able bodied people who have 'failed' to do as 'excellently' in life as you. E.g. Invalids, children, victims of circumstance, the seriously ill and those who fall through the holes in your social safety net.

No one is suggesting you give all your money or all your savings away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...