Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums

Recommended Posts

Who is he, most people probably never heard of him, who cares. You can pull all the rabbits out of a hat you want in this.

By the way, those of you whom are "history challenged" would do well to realize that most people in the world were just as racist as he was, back in that day. But the idea and insititution he described is considered reprehensible now, in both thought and deed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They could at least have retreated within the house until reinforcements arrived. He was known to the police as a disturbed individual - just sending two cops over there was the wrong thing to do. The

I think David Petraeus makes a reasonable point here about military bases in the US. None should still be named after Confederate generals:   

We need to change ourselves first, to stop being manipulated from left and right. Every single group is trying to use different material in regards to this tragedy to get followers.  The police u

It's interesting that Canadians react when there is a shooting of a black man in another country, by protesting in the streets. Even our Prime Minister takes a knee.

Yet when there are multiple similar shootings of unarmed natives, as there are now, we hear nothing. Crickets. Not from the people, not from the PM.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Yet when there are multiple similar shootings of unarmed natives, as there are now, we hear nothing. Crickets. Not from the people, not from the PM.

You must have missed his comments about Chief Adams  In any case, as I have said - individual incidents and the reactions are more politics, not the work to get these things addressed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

It's interesting that Canadians react when there is a shooting of a black man in another country, by protesting in the streets. Even our Prime Minister takes a knee.

Yet when there are multiple similar shootings of unarmed natives, as there are now, we hear nothing. Crickets. Not from the people, not from the PM.

There have been, to my knowledge, two shootings of natives in the last month, both armed with knives and charging police. Do you have other examples? I've seen no shootings of unarmed natives lately. No doubt you have other sources and can give us the long list.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Argus said:

There have been, to my knowledge, two shootings of natives in the last month, both armed with knives and charging police. Do you have other examples? I've seen no shootings of unarmed natives lately. No doubt you have other sources and can give us the long list.

Ok, the girl in NB had a knife. She was 21 years old, from BC but displaced by the Quarantine. She had a freakout. They needed to protect her from herself, not kill her. There is a big difference between a young adult woman five feet tall, and a 6'6| black man with a record, who was already known by police. I would expect professionals to recognize the situation accordingly. Like shoot her in the knee, or something.

But whether you agree with that notion or not, what I'm really saying is the actions of the PM and media are off the deep end. Mr. Trudeau is an empty poser, nothing more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

I would expect professionals to recognize the situation accordingly. Like shoot her in the knee, or something.

Like in the movies you mean :rolleyes:

That's the answer I got from your ilk when I suggested that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eyeball said:

Like in the movies you mean :rolleyes:

That's the answer I got from your ilk when I suggested that.

The or something is my out. For you there is no excuse, you are the beyond redemption.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It should be noted that people in the past like Sir John A., who accomplished many great things were notably far more “racist” by our modern widespread snowflake definition. Yet had they not done those great things, create Canada, you would never even be able to have these thoughts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

It should be noted that people in the past like Sir John A., who accomplished many great things were notably far more “racist” by our modern widespread snowflake definition. Yet had they not done those great things, create Canada, you would never even be able to have these thoughts.

The big anti-Sir John A. movement relates to his statement that government shouldn't be feeding and housing indigenous.  This is taken out of context to try to pin some form of genocide on him, when all he was saying is that it's a moral hazard for government to feed, house, and clothe people.  It's a basic debate about whether people should be responsible for themselves and have to work for money to pay for things versus the state taking care of people even if they don't work.  The verdict was settled decades ago that creating a culture of dependency is bad for everyone involved, the recipients and the taxpayers.  Generally the peoples who have been the recipients of such programs have not faired well over time.  One only has to look at the reserve system or public housing to see the truth of this, which isn't to say that a public safety net isn't necessary.  We don't let people starve or die in the streets today, and the decision to provide such a safety net evolved over many decades, especially after the Great Depression.

Egerton Ryerson, the founder of public education in Ontario, has been another target of protest, based on the idea that he is the founder of residential schools.  Of course without the churches and taxpaying public building these schools and providing public education, there would be no public education.  Indigenous didn't run schools then.  Residential schools were where people who had to leave their communities in order to attend school went to school because there were no local schools.  This is still true today when students from the far north leave their communities to attend high school in places like Thunder Bay when there are no local high schools because their home communities are remote and tiny.  The main difference today is that now most of these schools are indigenous run and the students are staying with indigenous families.  Yet depression, suicide, and substance abuse-related deaths exist today.  Read the Seven Feathers about the high school in Thunder Bay.  It may be easier for us to look for scape goats to blame for the all the social problems in the world today, and no doubt there were many past injustices.  How accountable are present generations for the sins of past generations?  This is worth considering as calls for reparations and recriminations abound.  Do we seek refunds from the Americans who seized land from the Loyalists who came to Canada?  Are the descendants of the first French settlers who lived somewhat peacefully alongside the Algonquins responsible for the various inequities over the subsequent centuries? 

There is value in reform and it's important to get a fair perspective on past historical figures, but let's make sure we look at the context in which those figures lived and look at multiple viewpoints instead of jumping on a reactionary/revolutionary bandwagon stirred by anger rather than facts. 

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

The or something is my out. For you there is no excuse, you are the beyond redemption.

That Heinekin and Redenbacher comment that really got under your skin didn't it?

I'm sorry what was that you said about snowflakes? Takes one to know one or something?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements




×
×
  • Create New...