Political Discussion Forums

Might Justin Trudeau’s election history emulate his father Pierre Trudeau?

The question of whether Trudeau may call a snap election hangs in the air. His current job approval numbers, with pandemic relief spending likely driving them, are such that the PM might see opportunity to again follow his father's example.

Two years after seeing his majority government reduced to minority status, Pierre Trudeau emerged from the 1974 vote with a reclaimed Liberal majority government.

Might the script for Justin Trudeau play out identically? Now that's the question

With the liberals climbing in the polls, and the conservatives taking their time on deciding a new leader, this could play in the liberals favor as the story suggests. perhaps the cons need to re think their idea of calling a snap election once leadership is decided.... What is it that the cons need to do to start driving Justins numbers down ? 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/roy-green-might-justin-trudeau-s-election-history-emulate-his-father-pierre-trudeau/ar-BB16AVkL?ocid=msedgntp

• 2 weeks later...

I remember that 1974 federal election.

"Zap! You're frozen!"

Then, Trudeau Snr did exactly that: he imposed a wage-price freeze, invoking John Kenneth Galbraith.

=====

As kids say today, some 75 years after 1945, "Old guy. Whatever."

On 7/12/2020 at 11:45 AM, Army Guy said:

With the liberals climbing in the polls, and the conservatives taking their time on deciding a new leader, this could play in the liberals favor as the story suggests. perhaps the cons need to re think their idea of calling a snap election once leadership is decided.... What is it that the cons need to do to start driving Justins numbers down ? 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/roy-green-might-justin-trudeau-s-election-history-emulate-his-father-pierre-trudeau/ar-BB16AVkL?ocid=msedgntp

Nothing. Let justin do it for them.

23 hours ago, August1991 said:

Brian Mulroney and Jean Chretien were pale in comparison.

Nowadays, I have no one. Jacques Parizeau is dead.

At least Mulroney spoke in fully formed sentences most of the time, even when he didn't know he was being taped by Peter Newman. His delivery was impressive. Chrétien was famous for not being great in either language, not that it held him back. I was happy with both of them as PMs, esp. Chrétien. 

On 7/22/2020 at 11:49 PM, SpankyMcFarland said:

At least Mulroney spoke in fully formed sentences most of the time, even when he didn't know he was being taped by Peter Newman. His delivery was impressive. Chrétien was famous for not being great in either language, not that it held him back. I was happy with both of them as PMs, esp. Chrétien. 

Taped?

You entirely miss the point.

=====

Kids today don't understand: Donald Trump is a pale imitation of Pierre Trudeau and Rene Lévesque. Like Trump, Trudeau and Lévesque attracted attention - and they said something.

(Obama? For some time, I thought that he was like Laurier. He's not.) 

On 8/1/2020 at 12:10 AM, August1991 said:

Taped?

You entirely miss the point.

=====

Kids today don't understand: Donald Trump is a pale imitation of Pierre Trudeau and Rene Lévesque. Like Trump, Trudeau and Lévesque attracted attention - and they said something.

The point I’m making is that Mulroney was a pretty good speaker even in casual conversation or other unscripted situations like interviews. To lump him in with Chrétien is way off. 

5 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

The point I’m making is that Mulroney was a pretty good speaker even in casual conversation or other unscripted situations like interviews. To lump him in with Chrétien is way off. 

IMHO, Mulroney and Chretien were both good speakers but they were "politicians" while Trump is a "dealer".

=====

IME, Mulroney was stiff in public. Chretien (like Diefenbaker) was a great retail politician. In a small country like Canada, it works.

Justin Trudeau's also a retail politician. He should take care.  

On 8/3/2020 at 1:04 AM, August1991 said:

IMHO, Mulroney and Chretien were both good speakers but they were "politicians" while Trump is a "dealer".

=====

IME, Mulroney was stiff in public. Chretien (like Diefenbaker) was a great retail politician. In a small country like Canada, it works.

Justin Trudeau's also a retail politician. He should take care.  

Chrétien was a great politician but his public speaking in English was ropey at best. After JT we seem to have developed a distrust of polished rhetoric. 

On 8/4/2020 at 6:10 PM, SpankyMcFarland said:

Chrétien was a great politician but his public speaking in English was ropey at best. After JT we seem to have developed a distrust of polished rhetoric. 

Chretien was great in English.

=====

Levesque, Trudeau Snr were a product of the College classique. Even Chretien. The difference?

Chretien was younger, poor. Levesque, rich, from Gaspe. Trudeau, rich, from Montreal.

CBC had a political science professor on last night , she suggests the liberal brand has been damaged to the point that the liberal party might be considering a party review to replace Justin with another leader.... And while everyone has an opinion, i highly doubt this prediction will come true, but one could always dream... 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2020 at 12:42 PM, Army Guy said:

CBC had a political science professor on last night , she suggests the liberal brand has been damaged to the point that the liberal party might be considering a party review to replace Justin with another leader.... And while everyone has an opinion, i highly doubt this prediction will come true, but one could always dream... 

Since Blake, every federal Liberal Party leader became PM - until Dion and Ignatieff.

Trudeau Snr chose the party for that reason!

The party chose Trudeau Jnr for the same reason!