Political Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cannuck

Biden officially a ... ...

Joseph R. Biden Jr. announced on Tuesday a new plan to spend $2 trillion over four years to significantly escalate the use of clean energy in the transportation, electricity and building sectors, part of a suite of sweeping proposals designed to create economic opportunities and strengthen infrastructure while also tackling climate change.

In a speech in Wilmington, Del., Mr. Biden built on his plans, released last week, for reviving the economy in the wake of the coronavirus crisis, with a new focus on enhancing the nation’s infrastructure and emphasizing the importance of significantly cutting fossil fuel emissions. As he denounced President Trump’s stewardship of the virus and climate change, he drew criticism from Republicans — but he also faced a key test from progressives who have long been skeptical of the scope of his climate ambitions.

“These are the most critical investments we can make for the long-term health and vitality of both the American economy and the physical health and safety of the American people,” he said. “When Donald Trump thinks about climate change, the only word he can muster is ‘hoax.’ When I think about climate change, the word I think of is ‘jobs.’”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/us/politics/biden-climate-plan.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20200715&instance_id=20323&nl=the-morning&regi_id=100982531&segment_id=33439&te=1&user_id=2a3e757b2285568cc6aee5465e9acea4

I once considered that both sides of the Uniparty had some kind of underlying common sense, but when I see this kind of absolute BS, I guess we can write the Dummy....er...uh...DEMOcrats off completely.  This all goes back to worshiping the "New Deal" that mindlessness credits with bringing the US out of the Great Depression.  Now, don't get me wrong: public spending on NECESSARY infrastructure during a depression is a very good thing to do.  People are available, need the work, and are cheap.  But when you are $30Tn++ in debt, pissing away another $2T ON TOP OF the deficit spending that will surely be in place is so far beyond totally irresponsible, it is clearly a symptom of insanity and/or senility on behalf of Biden.  This is all for the purposes of political porkbarelling as the name of the game when government is doing the spending is to choose the winners and losers along political lines. IF (and this is a big "if") the American people have any idea what this means, Biden just handed another term to Trump.

Oh: on the "environmental" side:  once again, if something can only happen with government driving the bus, you can bet the whole thing will stink to the high heavens with dispensing of privilege - for returns to be paid back in other ways.  Problem is: when trying to tackle an environmental problem in this way, the US will spend its trillions to try to keep doing the same things that put it in this position (of planet's largest polluter) in the first place.  The solution is not to beggar the nation to keep wasting at an unsustainable rate, but to put in place a plan to reduce the amount of resources wasted to live a lifestyle that is no longer sustainable.

So, your preferred solution to climate change is rationing fossil fuels? That is a pretty complex operation and would likely be far more expensive. Part of the solution needs to be replacing fossil fuel based energy with solar and nuclear energy.

Another alternative is to do nothing and bring about a mass extinction event that would equal the permian extinction. A few microbes might remain, but without liquid water, higher lifeforms would be doubtful.

I said rationing fossil fuels????   Geez, my reading comprehension seems to be slipping...I can't find that.

I know this concept has been totally lost, but the business of government should be nothing but to GOVERN.  That means legislate, regulate and enforce.  If government wants to see something happen, it just needs to set rules that will let industry and people solve the "how to" of compliance.  When government starts to try to make things happen by paying their way, you immediately find out why people who are competent and capable are snapped up by industry to do their business, and those who can't possibly measure up go to work as bureaucrats in government.  Let me give you a good, simple and succesful example in personal transportation.  There was a time when LA sky was constantly brown, and it was largely due to the number of NOx spewing cars on the road.  Rather than picking up the phone and getting Boeing to build a car to government specs, they simply mandated that by such-and-such a time, cars could only have specified emissions.  Same for fuel consumption (CAFE standard in USA).  Now, the car industry bitched and moaned like hell about being told what to do,, but look at the sky in LA (you can sometimes even SEE it now!!) and check the mileage on a new vehicle.  VERY successful because to solve that regulatory need, automakers had to learn far better how to burn fuel cleanly and efficiently - leading to mass adoption of very sophisticated digital engine management systems and aftertreatment.

The way to "fix"emissions from coal fired or any other hydrocarbon source is to do exactly as we have done with cars:  legislate and regulate their emissions.  Let government try to choose HOW this is done, and we end up with another NASA doing things for 100x the cost that industry can do cheaper, better, faster.  North America's economy was built by entrepreneurs, not governments - but it sure can (and WILL) be destroyed by them.

If Canada had followed that example, the CPR would still be stalled in eastern Manitoba. It was the financial intervention of MacDonald's Consrvative government that built the CPR and Canada. To build the soar farms and the hundreds of nuclear power plants the US needs, requires a national plan. 

Or the federal government cupd just shut down oil and coal production and importation. That might work, but it would work better if there is a well thought out plan.

1 hour ago, cannuck said:

Joseph R. Biden Jr. announced on Tuesday a new plan to spend $2 trillion over four years to significantly escalate the use of clean energy in the transportation, electricity and building sectors, part of a suite of sweeping proposals designed to create economic opportunities and strengthen infrastructure while also tackling climate change.

I interpreted this as your critisism of battling climate change. The only other way to eliminate fossil fuels is rationing, ie. a rapid phased in shut down of the fossil fuel industry. If you have a viable third course of action, I'm sorry I missed it.

The problem with Biden is that he's a shell of his former self.  He's now a vessel for people like AOC, Bernie Sanders, etc to push their far leftwing agenda on to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shady said:

The problem with Biden is that he's a shell of his former self.  He's now a vessel for people like AOC, Bernie Sanders, etc to push their far leftwing agenda on to.

Exactly.....your point is acknowledged in this op-ed today:

Could President Joe Biden hold back the left? No.

He'll be a figurehead president. 

...And no matter how you plan on voting, ask yourself a fair question: If elected president, will Biden be able to hold off his allies of the hard left as they seek more power?

No.

He can’t. Even if he were so inclined, which he’s not, the man just isn’t strong enough. He’s fading quickly. America sees he’s thin and getting thinner, which is why his handlers keep him safe in the basement, because Biden is just too little butter spread over too much bread.

But Biden, the Democrats and their media handmaidens don’t want to talk about any of this. They want the election to be a referendum on Trump and the coronavirus. And that is smart politics.

• Thanks 1

I don't think BIden can even hold his wizzer in the right part of the urinal, never mind hold his own in politics (although a great deal of political life seems to focus upon who and where your wizzer is being..uh..HELD.)

2 hours ago, Shady said:

If that was the case, then why wouldn't they nominate Sanders? 

7 minutes ago, Boges said:

If that was the case, then why wouldn't they nominate Sanders? 

Because Sanders would not beat Trump.

21 minutes ago, cannuck said:

I don't think BIden can even hold his wizzer in the right part of the urinal, never mind hold his own in politics (although a great deal of political life seems to focus upon who and where your wizzer is being..uh..HELD.)

I was hoping he would name a strong, moderate ex-general or something to be his VP. But no, he had to promise it would be a woman. And now everyone expects it to be some sort of minority woman and if it isn't the Left is going to go berserk and promise not to vote.

5 hours ago, cannuck said:

The way to "fix"emissions from coal fired or any other hydrocarbon source is to do exactly as we have done with cars:  legislate and regulate their emissions. 

The problem with that is you need to have a car in California. The government can force their builders to make them more fuel conscious and no one has much choice. But most industries don't NEED to be located in the US. So given about 150 countries in the world have no carbon or emissions taxes or regulations, fining or taxing companies just persuades them to move to Mexico or China where their emissions are free.