Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums
ProudConservative

A License to Drink Alcohol

Recommended Posts

As I've come to realized living up north during a pandemic kind of sucks. People are getting laid off, left, right, and center, and many of them resort to one thing. Alcohol! In the last week, I've seen a friend drink himself unconscious to the point where his breathing almost stopped. There is very little desire to work, since everyone wants to party and go boating... instead of asking for extra work. People only work, when they've run out of booze money, and as soon as they get the money... They blow up on dumb shit... Just like out government. They have very little desire to save for the future.

It seems like you needs license for everything. You need a license to drive. You need a license to go fishing. Why not alcohol? 

If people can't handle their liquor, they shouldn't be allowed in the liquor store. People should have to learn about the dangerous effects of alcohol-intoxication on the body. They should have to learn about drinking and driving, and have people have died from binge drinking.

It shouldn't just be that you turn 19, and all of the sudden the government says.... "Welcome to the LCBO". I think consuming alcohol should be a privileged, and not a right. If you want a beer with a streak, you should be allowed to buy alcohol anytime you want. If you're a fool who can barely walk, and you're threatening to hit everyone in sight.... you should loose your alcohol license, and not allowed in the liquor store.

Getting a alcohol license, should be like getting a boating license. You should have to read 20 pages of information about the dangers of binge drinking,, and then be forced to take a test.

 

Edited by ProudConservative
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The observation that alcohol is quite toxic and causes physical harm in excess is quite true. Alcohol is a known carcinogen, among other things it does when consumed too much such as harm the vital organs.

The government implemented the shutdown and issued out CERB. They are utter fools. Criminals, even. That no one at those lofty heights could see this coming is testimony to their leadership: complete incompetence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Governments could see a pandemic was coming years ago. Plans for dealing with the effects of locking down and economic fallout should have been well thought out of in the event of many different disasters and especially how politicizing things would turn efforts at mitigation into a shit-show.  There's no excuse for anybody pleading ignorance over this at all.

Edited by eyeball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many of the outbreaks that have occurred in places like Quebec and Texas have been in bars.  Patios are probably okay, but I think indoor bars should stay off the reopening menu until we know we've stopped the spread.  Perhaps when the patios close we can have something indoors that's carefully controlled.  I wouldn't do it now, as we have outdoor alternatives.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Many of the outbreaks that have occurred in places like Quebec and Texas have been in bars.  Patios are probably okay, but I think indoor bars should stay off the reopening menu until we know we've stopped the spread.  Perhaps when the patios close we can have something indoors that's carefully controlled.  I wouldn't do it now, as we have outdoor alternatives.  

Not comfortable? Tell you what- you stay outside then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

Not comfortable? Tell you what- you stay outside then.

You don't get it.  If major outbreaks happen, everything shuts down again.  Let the bars expand their patios into the streets, but indoor bars are risky.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I work as a chef in a pub.

We were actually busier when we were locked down and doing take aways only.

We have only opened two days a week for food and are just losing money.

Pre-covid Sunday lunch was 70-100 covers. During lockdown we were doing 45-50 take aways.

Today we did 26 and only 10 of them ate in.

The rush to open everything back up is pointless until confidence returns.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

You don't get it.  If major outbreaks happen, everything shuts down again.  Let the bars expand their patios into the streets, but indoor bars are risky.  

Life is risky. What we've done is equally harmful to letting the virus run full kilter, and I've been pointing that one out every day here. The real trouble this has caused is being concealed from you. Don't tell me I don't get it.

Edited by OftenWrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Life is risky. What we've done is equally harmful to letting the virus run full kilter, and I've been pointing that one out every day here. The real trouble this has caused is being concealed from you. Don't tell me I don't get it.

We have made great economic and educational sacrifices to open up while protecting public health.  We have to make sure that our sacrifices aren't in vain and that we don't create bigger problems down the road by satisfying a lower priority need today.  Expand the patios for restaurants and bars.  Allow indoor restaurants with careful distancing, but indoor bars have had a large influence on the out of control spreads we see in Florida and Texas.  Follow the science.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just have a problem with the government going $300 billion a debt, and thousands of Canadians blowing our tax dollars on drugs and alcohol. In order to get Covid relief, people should have to account for everything they spend our money on. If they are sitting around, not trying to get a job, than it's welfare. If they're using it to put food on the table, than I can be sympathetic. I havn't taken a dime from our government, and I'm currently unemployeed. I'll eat rice if I have too. I'm not a parasite. I despise socialism.

People need a license to buy alcohol. I think anyone who's getting cerb benifits, shouldn't be allowed in the liquore store. I don't suport socialized-alcoholism.

Edited by ProudConservative

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ProudConservative said:

I havn't taken a dime from our government, and I'm currently unemployeed.

I'm sorry you are unemployed, and hope you can become re-employed soon. 

In the meantime, as an employed person, I'm happy that my tax dollars can help you at a time that its needed.  I don't care if you use that money to buy smokes, pay for your cell phone, your internet, your pet's food, your data plan, your car loan - any and all the 'luxuries' so many people think poor, non-working people shouldn't have.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That the shutdown has proven is that eating out regularly is an incredible waste of money. It should be a treat. When you can't go out and drink every weekend, you quickly find out that you have lots of money available for other things. 

 

As for the alcohol thing in the OP. It's completely unenforceable. If we know one thing about alcoholics, they will find a way to get their fix. There'll be a huge industry in fake licences. And a black market to sell to people who can't get a license. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2020 at 10:02 AM, ProudConservative said:

As I've come to realized living up north during a pandemic kind of sucks. People are getting laid off, left, right, and center, and many of them resort to one thing. Alcohol! In the last week, I've seen a friend drink himself unconscious to the point where his breathing almost stopped. There is very little desire to work, since everyone wants to party and go boating... instead of asking for extra work. People only work, when they've run out of booze money, and as soon as they get the money... They blow up on dumb shit... Just like out government. They have very little desire to save for the future.

It seems like you needs license for everything. You need a license to drive. You need a license to go fishing. Why not alcohol? 

If people can't handle their liquor, they shouldn't be allowed in the liquor store. People should have to learn about the dangerous effects of alcohol-intoxication on the body. They should have to learn about drinking and driving, and have people have died from binge drinking.

It shouldn't just be that you turn 19, and all of the sudden the government says.... "Welcome to the LCBO". I think consuming alcohol should be a privileged, and not a right. If you want a beer with a streak, you should be allowed to buy alcohol anytime you want. If you're a fool who can barely walk, and you're threatening to hit everyone in sight.... you should loose your alcohol license, and not allowed in the liquor store.

Getting a alcohol license, should be like getting a boating license. You should have to read 20 pages of information about the dangers of binge drinking,, and then be forced to take a test.

 

Don't give those crazy in the head spend crazy politicians about trying to create another new licence like the need of a licence to be able to buy alcohol. If there is one thing our dear leaders like to do is to raise taxes or try and create new ones. Anyway, we kind of have a licence to drink booze already. It's called taxes. Half the price on booze is taxes. Think what will happen if some heavy booze drinker cannot get his/her hands on a bottle of booze? It might work out better for some of them, but then it could end up working not so well for others. Anyway, what we the taxpaying buffoons do not need is to have the need to have a licence to buy alcohol. Can you imagine the size of this new bureaucracy? Billions of tax dollars being blown every year on paying a bunch of useless government morons who will be paid a good salary, good benefits, and a good pension all at taxpayer's tax dollars expense. I want less government, not more. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2020 at 8:21 AM, OftenWrong said:

The observation that alcohol is quite toxic and causes physical harm in excess is quite true. Alcohol is a known carcinogen, among other things it does when consumed too much such as harm the vital organs.

The government implemented the shutdown and issued out CERB. They are utter fools. Criminals, even. That no one at those lofty heights could see this coming is testimony to their leadership: complete incompetence.

Ah someone else who obviously believes that the government should regulate every single part of our lives and personal responsibility be damned.  Alcohol is not the problem.  People who lack control over their impulses are the problem.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2020 at 8:46 PM, ProudConservative said:

I just have a problem with the government going $300 billion a debt, and thousands of Canadians blowing our tax dollars on drugs and alcohol. In order to get Covid relief, people should have to account for everything they spend our money on. If they are sitting around, not trying to get a job, than it's welfare. If they're using it to put food on the table, than I can be sympathetic. I havn't taken a dime from our government, and I'm currently unemployeed. I'll eat rice if I have too. I'm not a parasite. I despise socialism.

People need a license to buy alcohol. I think anyone who's getting cerb benifits, shouldn't be allowed in the liquore store. I don't suport socialized-alcoholism.

Well, Proud...........people are going to do what they want and unless you support total government oversight into every area of our lives,  you will just have to realize that there will always be a certain segment of the population bent on doing harm to themselves. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mowich said:

Ah someone else who obviously believes that the government should regulate every single part of our lives and personal responsibility be damned.  Alcohol is not the problem.

Ah, not really, since I am among the few here who resent the imbecile government's imposition of a national shutdown.

Quote

People who lack control over their impulses are the problem.   

Ah, easier said than done. The strong never have those problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2020 at 8:03 PM, OftenWrong said:

Ah, not really, since I am among the few here who resent the imbecile government's imposition of a national shutdown.

Ah, easier said than done. The strong never have those problems.

The government has and always will be the problem. The government always tries to fight fire with fire and it never works for them. All of our problems stem from the fact that the government is too bloody freakin' big, and the government enjoys throwing our tax dollars on their pet liberal and socialist programs and agendas that will never work. Less government means more freedom and opens up the door to the real free enterprise people who can fix the problem all by themselves. We the people do not need all the stinking over bloated government that we have already, and the taxpayer having to keep watching the government take hundreds of billions of our tax dollars every year to it's greedy self, and given away to other foreign countries who cannot or will not do anything to help Canadians.

High taxes and a big socialist government is what is killing Canada today. We the people can do a better job of running Canada then any politician will ever be able to do. Politicians only know how to blow and waste our tax dollars. It's in their DNA to do so and are great at messing everything up. All three levels of governments are always in the booze selling business because they know where they can get most of their money from. Government liquor outlet stores should not be allowed to exist or have a licence to sell alcohol. That should be left to the free enterprise system. The governments aid the problem of alcoholism, and then they try and pretend that they will help solve the alcoholism problem. :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...