Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums

Does B.C. 2020 look like Orwell's 1984?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tough on crime.  That's what we need. Orwell would have worn a mask.

1. I concur. 2. Is your point that it's not a problem or that it is ?  I can't tell.   3. This is ridiculous hyperbole.  I can't take you seriously when you try to equate a contemporary democratic

You would have to have 500 people in the room before there is a 50% chance that one of them has the virus.

5 hours ago, oops said:

Say it aint so

 

Well, watching the covidiots out there who will isolate themselves or wear face diaper masks and keep trying to social distance themselves from others, well I think that it is safe to say that BC 2020 does look very much 1984 Orwellian to me today. Why would anyone believe that wearing a face diaper mask is going to protect them from any virus is beyond me. Apparently, masks do not work all that well or stop any virus from entering their mask. Plus, it is not supposed to be so great for someones lungs to be wearing a mask all day long. I read and heard that there are tiny dust mask particles that will enter someones lungs which may eventually cause lung cancer. And what is really so crazy about all of this is to see some crazy covidiot person who is driving in their car with the windows up and wearing a mask. Now just how bloody stupid looking can someone be and get, eh?   Well, "say it ain't so"? Well, I just said that it is so. ;)

Edited by taxme
Link to post
Share on other sites

B.C. Premier John Horgan said enforcement is coming for people who flaunt restrictions and are still holding large, private parties.

Horgan said while the province would prefer British Columbians to use their good judgement, escalating enforcement is a possibility, starting with warnings and then getting into severe penalties.

Sounds Orwellian.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, oops said:

B.C. Premier John Horgan said enforcement is coming for people who flaunt restrictions and are still holding large, private parties.

Horgan said while the province would prefer British Columbians to use their good judgement, escalating enforcement is a possibility, starting with warnings and then getting into severe penalties.

Sounds Orwellian.

Tough on crime.  That's what we need.

Orwell would have worn a mask.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oops said:

B.C. Premier John Horgan said enforcement is coming for people who flaunt restrictions and are still holding large, private parties.

Horgan said while the province would prefer British Columbians to use their good judgement, escalating enforcement is a possibility, starting with warnings and then getting into severe penalties.

Sounds Orwellian.

Sounds like a great idea considering the upsurge in cases mainly among young people. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't remember 1984 having the government prosecute people for germ-spreading raves.  This is called hyperbole, or exaggeration.   

Every government in the world is taking drastic steps to mitigate the risks and over 9,000 are dead in Canada.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, taxme said:

what is really so crazy about all of this is to see some crazy covidiot person who is driving in their car with the windows up and wearing a mask. Now just how bloody stupid looking can someone be and get, eh?   Well, "say it ain't so"? Well, I just said that it is so. ;)

I know man, gotta laugh at that one. There ain't even no friggin virus here, but it seems the less there is, the more dark the forecast for our future, what "could be"....

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cannucklehead said:

B.C. upped the amount you can be fined for breaking rules to $2,000.  Not that big of a deal.  During the spanish flu outbreak people in the u.s. were shot by police for non compliance. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/world/1269659/coronavirus-outbreak-spanish-flu-latest-death-toll-uk-news-update-pandemic-spt/amp

I just read it's $2500 and 6 months in jail. Maybe that's ok to big city liberals in their downtown condominium, who are shitting their pants for the virus.

Not me.

Edited by OftenWrong
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

I don't remember 1984 having the government prosecute people for germ-spreading raves.  This is called hyperbole, or exaggeration.   

Every government in the world is taking drastic steps to mitigate the risks and over 9,000 are dead in Canada.  

 

Small point, but covid is not a germ. "Every government in the world is taking drastic steps to mitigate the risks''', same as 1984. "9,000 are dead in Canada", that is about 3% of expected deaths taken over a full year this could be a 6 % increase in mortality rate. People think that the government actions are  meant to prevent deaths, they are not, the intent is to let people die tomorrow instead of today.

Damage by virus 6% increase in death rate, damage by government actions, generational debt, loss of majority of small businesses, increase of domestic abuse, increased deaths by drug overdose, increase of mental health issues, separating families  through border closures compromised education of our children. On balance the government is doing more damage than the virus.

In 1984 the government controlled the population by repression and intimidation. in B.C. 2020 the government has told people to stay home, and has criminalized the normal operation of restaurants and other small businesses,  shut down much of our live entertainment and professional sports, and run a campaign to shame people for social  interaction. The real cost is quality of life and personal freedom. Life is more than not dying, the cost is too high for the privilege of dying tomorrow.

Government seeks power and control, doctors want to save us from harm, the media wants to tell a story and sell toothpaste. Terrorize the population and lock them up, and they all get what they want.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, oops said:

Small point, but covid is not a germ. "Every government in the world is taking drastic steps to mitigate the risks''', same as 1984. "9,000 are dead in Canada", that is about 3% of expected deaths taken over a full year this could be a 6 % increase in mortality rate. People think that the government actions are  meant to prevent deaths, they are not, the intent is to let people die tomorrow instead of today.

Damage by virus 6% increase in death rate, damage by government actions, generational debt, loss of majority of small businesses, increase of domestic abuse, increased deaths by drug overdose, increase of mental health issues, separating families  through border closures compromised education of our children. On balance the government is doing more damage than the virus.

In 1984 the government controlled the population by repression and intimidation. in B.C. 2020 the government has told people to stay home, and has criminalized the normal operation of restaurants and other small businesses,  shut down much of our live entertainment and professional sports, and run a campaign to shame people for social  interaction. The real cost is quality of life and personal freedom. Life is more than not dying, the cost is too high for the privilege of dying tomorrow.

Government seeks power and control, doctors want to save us from harm, the media wants to tell a story and sell toothpaste. Terrorize the population and lock them up, and they all get what they want.

What absolute rubbish.  As we are all to die eventually, all attempts to safeguard life can be seen as only postponing the inevitable. 

Why bother with a law proscribing murder?  They are going to die anyway.

Edited by bcsapper
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

What absolute rubbish.  As we are all to die eventually, all attempts to safeguard life can be seen as only postponing the inevitable. 

Why bother with a law proscribing murder?  They are going to die anyway.

Murder implies intent. Automobile accidents cause more deaths than the virus. If you drive a car you are just as guilty of murder as a teenager socializing with his friends, or a child attending school.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, oops said:

Murder implies intent. Automobile accidents cause more deaths than the virus. If you drive a car you are just as guilty of murder as a teenager socializing with his friends, or a child attending school.

What does intent have to do with the notion that a life is not worth saving if it is going to be over eventually?

Automobile accidents would cause even more deaths if there were no seat belt laws. Same with helmet laws.  Smoking, trans fats, out of bounds area, jaywalking, etc.  Orwell must be spinning in his grave. 

Edited by bcsapper
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, oops said:

1. Small point, but covid is not a germ.

2.  "Every government in the world is taking drastic steps to mitigate the risks''', same as 1984. "9,000 are dead in Canada", that is about 3% of expected deaths taken over a full year this could be a 6 % increase in mortality rate. People think that the government actions are  meant to prevent deaths, they are not, the intent is to let people die tomorrow instead of today.

3. In 1984 the government controlled the population by repression and intimidation. in B.C. 2020 the government has told people to stay home, and has criminalized the normal operation of restaurants and other small businesses,  shut down much of our live entertainment and professional sports, and run a campaign to shame people for social  interaction. The real cost is quality of life and personal freedom. Life is more than not dying, the cost is too high for the privilege of dying tomorrow.

 

1. I concur.
2. Is your point that it's not a problem or that it is ?  I can't tell.  
3. This is ridiculous hyperbole.  I can't take you seriously when you try to equate a contemporary democratic government with Big Brother.  It's just shrill hysteria, whether or not you think that the response to Covid is out-of-scale.
 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. I concur.
2. Is your point that it's not a problem or that it is ?  I can't tell.  
3. This is ridiculous hyperbole.  I can't take you seriously when you try to equate a contemporary democratic government with Big Brother.  It's just shrill hysteria, whether or not you think that the response to Covid is out-of-scale.
 

Hyperbole (exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.)

I do think that covid is a problem. It doesn't seem that increased domestic abuse, increased drug overdose deaths,  withholing our children's education and the government spending multiple billions of dollars while deliberately crippling the economy is worthy of your acknowlegment, but it seems you think that all this is a ridiculous  exaggeration. I did mean for this to be taken literally and  there seems to me that there is an imbalance here.

The government is legislating personal choices and using law enforcement to impose their will. This doesn't make you even a little bit nervous?

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. Which do you think is stronger, politicians desire for power or their fear of being corrupted?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

I know man, gotta laugh at that one. There ain't even no friggin virus here, but it seems the less there is, the more dark the forecast for our future, what "could be"....

 I saw on one of my favorite alternative media websites where they showed a picture of some woman swimming and wearing a face diaper mask. Ding-dong-ding-dong. :D

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, taxme said:

 I saw on one of my favorite alternative media websites where they showed a picture of some woman swimming and wearing a face diaper mask. Ding-dong-ding-dong. :D

They keep the sharks away too.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

They keep the sharks away too.

Whatever it will take to safely swim in the water without becoming lunch for some shark. Maybe masks do work after all, eh? :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oops said:

1. It doesn't seem that increased domestic abuse, increased drug overdose deaths,  withholing our children's education and the government spending multiple billions of dollars while deliberately crippling the economy is worthy of your acknowlegment,

2. but it seems you think that all this is a ridiculous  exaggeration.  

3. The government is legislating personal choices and using law enforcement to impose their will.

4. This doesn't make you even a little bit nervous?

5. Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. Which do you think is stronger, politicians desire for power or their fear of being corrupted?

1.  Where did I say these effects aren't worthy of acknowledgement ?
2.  To compare the two governments, yes, is ridiculous.
3.  All governments do this.
4.  No.
5. We've heard this quote many times.   You can't use in just any context, such as in the face of a disaster.

It's like those blunt-dumb comparisons of Harper/Trudeau/Bush/Trump to Hitler - just facile and superficial without enough context.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Where did I say these effects aren't worthy of acknowledgement ?

You do acknowledge the damage caused by government crackdown then? Can we agree these measures have done more damage than the virus?

All governments do this. Are you saying that common practice excuses government oppression?

Being cited often does not make a quote invalid. since you failed to answer the question here is some background for you.

While Canadians struggle with government-imposed restrictions on their movements, their businesses and their employment, and face fines or even jail time for failing to quarantine properly, the Liberal government of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau continues to do its best to shield itself from parliamentary accountability during the pandemic.

 

Rather than finding creative ways of allowing Parliament to function under the circumstances, the Liberals — aided and abetted by the NDP — have instead opted to suspend all regular House of Commons sittings until at least Sept. 21, thus keeping debate, scrutiny, and accountability severely limited.

After five years in power, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has succeeded in normalizing corruption in Canadian politics. That was a key finding in a Global/Ipsos poll of 2,000 Canadian adults, taken Aug. 17-18 and released last week. Most Canadians surveyed — 56% — agreed, “The WE charity scandal shows that Prime Minister Trudeau and his government are corrupt

 

It seems wrong that in a minority government, the opposition should be so sidelined and hobbled — even in a pandemic situation.

 

After five years in power, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has succeeded in normalizing corruption in Canadian politics. That was a key finding in a Global/Ipsos poll of 2,000 Canadian adults, taken Aug. 17-18 and released last week. Most Canadians surveyed — 56% — agreed, “The WE charity scandal shows that Prime Minister Trudeau and his government are corrupt

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cannucklehead said:

Could I have a source for that please.

 

https://globalnews.ca/news/6736749/bc-social-distancing-fines-coronavirus/

They already enabled bylaw officers to fine anyone contravening BC "health orders". That way you people can give it a nice, wide definition for whatever suits you.

I mean, come on. It's for the good of all of us. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oops said:

 

Where did I say these effects aren't worthy of acknowledgement ?

You do acknowledge the damage caused by government crackdown then? Can we agree these measures have done more damage than the virus?

All governments do this. Are you saying that common practice excuses government oppression?

Being cited often does not make a quote invalid. since you failed to answer the question here is some background for you.

1. While Canadians struggle with government-imposed restrictions on their movements, their businesses and their employment, and face fines or even jail time for failing to quarantine properly, the Liberal government of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau continues to do its best to shield itself from parliamentary accountability during the pandemic.

 

 

2. After five years in power, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has succeeded in normalizing corruption in Canadian politics. That was a key finding in a Global/Ipsos poll of 2,000 Canadian adults, taken Aug. 17-18 and released last week. Most Canadians surveyed — 56% — agreed, “The WE charity scandal shows that Prime Minister Trudeau and his government are corrupt

 

 ...

 

After five years in power, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has succeeded in normalizing corruption in Canadian politics. That was a key finding in a Global/Ipsos poll of 2,000 Canadian adults, taken Aug. 17-18 and released last week. Most Canadians surveyed — 56% — agreed, “The WE charity scandal shows that Prime Minister Trudeau and his government are corrupt

 

1. I'm not going to dispute that, but you have drifted the topic.  That must mean we're done, which is good.  Let's just leave my questions there also.
2. So nice you had to say it twice. Ok...  Good chat.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements




×
×
  • Create New...