Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums

Critical race theory is poisoning society


Recommended Posts

This paints in broad brushes, but it's not untrue. Critical race theory has exploded in popularity among the 'woke' or 'politically correct' and is being forced on workers in the government and corporate world, as well as being taught uncritically in universities and even high schools. It divides everyone into races and ethnicities and basically tries to suggest all white people are guilty of oppressing all non-white people. Even if you didn't do anything personally you still benefit from 'white supremacy' and some kind of 'white privilege'. All this stuff is being taut uncritically, and has only the most threadbare of intellectual rigor behind it.

What does this identity politics madness from the left really teach? First, you are not a person, unique and precious, worthy of dignified treatment under the law, and also held accountable by law. Second, whatever you might think about who you are, the only thing that matters is whether you are a person of color or white — in other words, pure or impure. Third, if you are white, the only way to rectify your stain or to assert your purity is to attend endless and expensive state-sponsored programs that expand the legion of racial grievance industry workers without making life better for any of the parties concerned. Fourth, human agency is an illusion. You alone are powerless to better your world. Nothing you can do alone or with your family, friends, neighbors or religious organizations is worth the effort, because the forces allied against you are so large as to invite despair. Fifth, the country you love is vile, filthy, and unworthy of your affection. The things you love must be destroyed, because they and your understanding of what is praiseworthy is a product of your white identity. Sixth, racial cohorts are all the same, rather than filled with people who think and behave differently. All whites, rather than some, are unworthy. Your so-called identity group is not a rich plurality that belies easy characterization; instead, it is stripped down and reduced to one of two possible characteristics: guilt or innocence.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/28/how-the-explosion-in-critical-race-theory-is-poisoning-america/?utm_source=reddit.com

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The mob ensures that no one disagrees as 'critical race theory' spreads through academia, government and corporate life. Freedom of thought is outlawed, and any who dare to challenge the prevailing orthodoxy are hounded out of office. You'd expect it in the most liberal of areas, but as we've seen, even in the most conservative of areas, wherever liberals dominate there is the requirement to fall into line and parrot the required cant.

On June 24th, the University of Calgary leadership team published its response to an open letter, dated June 9th, from hundreds of students, alumni, and faculty. The original letter had called on the university to make a series of anti-racist statements, and commit to a series of actions to address racism on campus. The specific statements and actions were helpfully catalogued in the open letter.

While the university president declined to give details on his plan of action, he declared in his June 24th response that “it is no longer adequate to simply not be racist, it is time to be anti-racist”; and that “systemic racism exists, and we allow it to live on when we fail to address it meaningfully and with urgency. There is systemic racism at UCalgary, and it is incumbent upon us to tackle this challenge with vigour and purpose.”

This is all very familiar. In recent months, we have seen countless organizations re-affirm their commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI), tout all the good work they have already done in these areas, while issuing a self-flagellating mea culpa in regard to how much more learning, listening, and understanding they still have to do. This cookie-cutter executive-speak has become predictable, almost as if it were written by the same small set of well-paid communications consultants. It is just the right mix of virtue signalling and self-abasement, offered in the hope that these organizations will be temporarily spared by the mob.

https://quillette.com/2020/11/29/im-a-professor-from-an-immigrant-family-please-stop-telling-me-that-my-university-is-racist/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2020 at 10:34 PM, OftenWrong said:

Isn't that the stuff that Trump ordered to be removed from the federal employee's training regimen?

Oh well, they got Biden now. I guess he'll be puttin that back on...

Yep.  It's hard to take this particular poster seriously when he just spent the last several months supporting Biden/Harris, big advocates of critical race theory.  Apparently mean tweets are unacceptable, but critical race theory is ok for now.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Shady said:

Yep.  It's hard to take this particular poster seriously when he just spent the last several months supporting Biden/Harris, big advocates of critical race theory.  Apparently mean tweets are unacceptable, but critical race theory is ok for now.  

You just sound like a sulky boy now. I've already explained my opposition to Trump is due to his massive ignorance and incompetence, his breaking of alliances and cozying up to brutal dictators and the likelihood he's in Putin's pocket due to, as Steve Bannon said, all the money laundering the Trump organization engaged in with Russian investors before the election.

I don't give a damn about mean tweets. But the thing is, that you don't seem to give a damn about anything BUT the mean tweets. You delight in him insulting the 'libtards' and couldn't seem to care less about the rest.

Edited by Argus
Link to post
Share on other sites

If I concur that you are talking about an idea that limited usefulness in a wide society, can I still ask the question of whether this subject matter has any kind of potential for harm, or at least addressing it doesn't need to prioritized above other ideas ?  
But ok - if you think that critical theory pushes the impact of racism to a scope that's not proveable it's hard to ignore some examples of extreme opinions in academe.

I find this all curious curious because other ideas of the left - ie. Marxist theories of capitalism - seem to be being picked up by the right, and those were odd academic ideas only two generations or so ago.   So does that mean academia is now more relevant than it has been... well... ever ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

If I concur that you are talking about an idea that limited usefulness in a wide society, can I still ask the question of whether this subject matter has any kind of potential for harm, or at least addressing it doesn't need to prioritized above other ideas ?  

If you watch interviews with Black conservatives - well, some aren't really conservative, like John McWhorter or Coleman Hughes or Thomas Sowell or Glen Loury it has the potential for great harm. Loury in particular, in an interview with Shelby Steele talked about the harm to the Black community in that this oppressor/oppressed stuff basically tells them they aren't masters of their own destiny. That all they can get is what they can persuade the white man to give them. Coleman Hughes, in another video, makes the point that guilt is a terrible basis for making policy,  yet that is exactly what CRT tries to do. It tries to instill guilt on the oppressors to get them to change policy.

And needless to say it also creates resentment among people who are told they are oppressors, that they are innately guilty of something, who are forced to attend the modern equivalent of Mao's China, where the 'oppressors' are required to confess and recant their evil thoughts and immorality - whether they have them or not.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

 find this all curious curious because other ideas of the left - ie. Marxist theories of capitalism - seem to be being picked up by the right,

Examples?

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

and those were odd academic ideas only two generations or so ago.   So does that mean academia is now more relevant than it has been... well... ever ?

I think academia is less relevant than ever due to so much of academia being poisoned by CRT and other progressive beliefs like white privilege which are becoming holy cant to the extent anyone who disagrees with them is endangering their career.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Argus said:

I've already explained my opposition to Trump is due to his massive ignorance and incompetence, his breaking of alliances and cozying up to brutal dictators and the likelihood he's in Putin's pocket due to, as Steve Bannon said, all the money laundering the Trump organization engaged in with Russian investors before the election.

We know. Its just you don't seem to mind or care about, or maybe recognize now we just get THE OTHER GUY'S GREED!

Plus this political crap you're bitching about here, so,

 

But hey, who am I to care? The people hath spoken... President Joe Biden. Has a different ring to it. President Joe Biden

Edited by OftenWrong
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

secret societies of billionaires etc.

People say it's funded by Soros, heh. But what is so secret or bizarre about people with vast resources of wealth and corporate control, who want to use their power to bring their own personal vision of future "utopia". A vision which includes, I assure you, much more wealth for them. And all kinds of interesting plans, all kinds of plans. Just as we are seeing right now. Soros, Besos, Bloomberg, to name a few of the well known names. You can bet they are making money now, hand over fistula!

They all hated Donald Trump. Joe Biden is their man. It was a binary choice, accept Trump warts and all, or it's going to be president Joe Biden.

So now it's back to the good old already-broken and corrupt system, with the former people making all the money.

In addition to the return of mandatory critical race theory training, sign on to senseless Paris accord, release Huawei's Meng ...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

We know. Its just you don't seem to mind or care about, or maybe recognize now we just get THE OTHER GUY'S GREED!

Oh give us a break. There's never been a politician as greedy as Trump. That man would sell his daughter for a nickel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. I'm not taking about conservatives like you and me.  The new populist themes include accusations about 'the elite' secret societies of billionaires etc.

I'm disturbed at how easily conspiracy theories seem to be spread. I don't understand why people who one might otherwise think are reasonably intelligent fall for the ridiculous theories of the likes of Qanon. But that isn't a Marxist thing. It's a universal one. As far as I know 'the right' still embraces billionaires, unless those billionaires side with the Left, of course. And even that is mostly an American thing and those who seem to wish they were Americans.

13 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

2. Then just ignore this.

Perhaps I should have said academics are less relevant. But their influence on the students who pass through university is indisputable. And their determination to indoctrinate them in critical race theory and other 'antiracist' beliefs makes them willing to go to extraordinary lengths, even watering down course content to make it easier for minorities to pass in the numbers they feel appropriate. And I'm not talking merely about the humanities.

This stuff takes place in law and medical schools, as well. Canadian law schools seem to believe teaching law is secondary to their primary goal of teaching CRT. The result of that was made fairly obvious when Stephen Harper had such a difficult time finding anyone remotely conservative to put on the Supreme Court he resorted to trying to appoint a part-time judge who had been nearing retirement.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

They all hated Donald Trump. Joe Biden is their man. It was a binary choice, accept Trump warts and all, or it's going to be president Joe Biden.

Donald Trump, wealthy Manhattan scion of a wealthy landlord, who never in his life showed the slightest interest, care or concern for the poor, who outsourced production to China and brought in illegal workers, who cheated his suppliers, his employees and his partners and never gave anything to charity without a snarl of resentment is, you believe, the champion of the working class?

Donald Trump wouldn't spit on you if you were on fire.

Edited by Argus
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Argus said:

Donald Trump, wealthy Manhattan scion of a wealthy landlord, who never in his life showed the slightest interest, care or concern for the poor, who outsourced production to China and brought in illegal workers, who cheated his suppliers, his employees and his partners and never gave anything to charity without a snarl of resentment is, you believe, the champion of the working class?

Donald Trump wouldn't spit on you if you were on fire.

You got your wish Argus, Trump's gone. Also gone will be his attempts to dismantle these subversive training programs. Far as I'm concerned your bitching about this is totally misplaced. You were too puritan in your political views, that Trump does not portray the image of leader well enough for your liking. Image.

Link to post
Share on other sites

And one thing everyone in politics can learn from this now. Any leader who wants to take the same direction as Trump is going to face what we saw in the past 4 years. The whole System was mobilized against him.

Not because Trump is an offensive character, as it is that offends you. But because of his stance on the very topic of this thread, as well as other topics like illegal immigration, and the rise of Marxism. It's hard to imagine anyone having the guts to take these issues head on as Trump did. Only Trump had a thick enough skin that could take the media shitstorm, and still want to do it again.

22 hours ago, Argus said:

As far as I know 'the right' still embraces billionaires, unless those billionaires side with the Left, of course. And even that is mostly an American thing and those who seem to wish they were Americans.

Of course they do, but for me especially it is when those groups side with outsourcing and transfer of wealth from our country, Canada, to offshore places like India and China, and Mexico. Hell even Mexico is getting the vaccine before us. They probably have the facility to make the vaccine there, unlike Canada which has no production of our own. Likewise they produce cars and machinery, all things necessary during an emergency like  a war.

Canada is an empty shell filled with elitist , wealthy, lazy moneychangers. It's all good until the shit hits the fan. Then down, down, down we go.

That's what we people in the trenches are concerned about. I couldn't give a rat if you call yourself right winger, if you support globalist rape of native production and culture.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

You got your wish Argus, Trump's gone. Also gone will be his attempts to dismantle these subversive training programs. 

If Trump wanted to 'dismantle' these training programs why didn't he do it in 2017? Or 2018? Or 2019? Trump doesn't care about any of this. He threw it in during the runup to the election. 

Edited by Argus
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

Not because Trump is an offensive character, as it is that offends you. But because of his stance on the very topic of this thread, as well as other topics like illegal immigration, and the rise of Marxism. It's hard to imagine anyone having the guts to take these issues head on as Trump did

Trump never took these issues on. Trump was best buddies with Communist dictators in North Korea and China! Trump didn't care about Marxism! Build that wall! Except he didn't. Why didn't he start building it in 2017? Why not in 2018? He didn't even start to demand money until the Democrats controlled the House. Then he saw the wall as a club to use against them. 

Quote

Of course they do, but for me especially it is when those groups side with outsourcing and transfer of wealth from our country, Canada, to offshore places like India and China, and Mexico.

Trump and his daughter both outsourced production to China.

Quote

Hell even Mexico is getting the vaccine before us. They probably have the facility to make the vaccine there, unlike Canada which has no production of our own.

Canada has lots of vaccine production facilities. They just have never been enlisted in this.

Quote

That's what we people in the trenches are concerned about. I couldn't give a rat if you call yourself right winger, if you support globalist rape of native production and culture.

Trump was one of those rapists. He did nothing to combat it. Even his tariffs against China only made companies shift more production to India, Vietnam, Thailand and Mexico.

Edited by Argus
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2020 at 10:48 AM, Argus said:

1. I'm disturbed at how easily conspiracy theories seem to be spread. I don't understand why people who one might otherwise think are reasonably intelligent fall for the ridiculous theories of the likes of Qanon. But that isn't a Marxist thing. It's a universal one.

2. But their influence on the students who pass through university is indisputable. And their determination to indoctrinate them in critical race theory ...

1. I agree that it's not right/left but there does seem to be a suspicion of 'elites' and billionaires which surprises me as it comes from people who also target 'the left'.
2. I don't see any point in disagreeing with you so I will try to address any part of your argument which I think might have value.  You seem to think that this idea is bad, and for some reason we can't trust educated people to assess the value of the ideas on their own.  Maybe it's because voicing any form of questions is seen as suspicious, and I can see that.  I think the best approach would be to remind liberals that ideas can be questioned in an academic forum, as long as we have ground rules established.  Maybe good democratic hygiene is all we need to emphasize.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1, Support of what likes to call itself the Progressive left by the corporate, money manager and heir elite is not an illusion. Nor is it without precedent. National Socialists were famous for corporatism. You see it today in Russia and China.

2. Critical Race theory is a dumb and dangerous idea. It doesn't become smarter or less dangerous to western society because it comes out of universities.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Infidel Dog said:

1, Support of what likes to call itself the Progressive left by the corporate, money manager and heir elite is not an illusion. Nor is it without precedent. National Socialists were famous for corporatism. You see it today in Russia and China.

2. Critical Race theory is a dumb and dangerous idea. It doesn't become smarter or less dangerous to western society because it comes out of universities.

1. @Argus See ?  Corporations and Wall St. are socialists in bed with Russia, China and the Commie-Nazis.  I can't scotch tape the mismatched jigsaw puzzle together any better than our friend the Dog did.
2. If it's dumb, then it will die in the marketplace of opinions then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. I agree that it's not right/left but there does seem to be a suspicion of 'elites' and billionaires which surprises me as it comes from people who also target 'the left'.
2. I don't see any point in disagreeing with you so I will try to address any part of your argument which I think might have value.  You seem to think that this idea is bad, and for some reason we can't trust educated people to assess the value of the ideas on their own.  Maybe it's because voicing any form of questions is seen as suspicious, and I can see that.  I think the best approach would be to remind liberals that ideas can be questioned in an academic forum, as long as we have ground rules established.  Maybe good democratic hygiene is all we need to emphasize.

But what if they can't be questioned? What if a stifling groupthink has those who disagree cowed by fear of attack? I invite you to read the following and then tell me how educated people are able to make such assessments in an atmosphere wherein anyone who disagrees is portrayed as an enemy.

https://quillette.com/2020/12/01/race-and-social-panic-at-haverford-a-case-study-in-educational-dysfunction/

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. @Argus See ?  Corporations and Wall St. are socialists in bed with Russia, China and the Commie-Nazis.  I can't scotch tape the mismatched jigsaw puzzle together any better than our friend the Dog did.
2. If it's dumb, then it will die in the marketplace of opinions then.

One of the things about CRT which has frustrated many of its critics is that they figured when this stuff came out of the universities those zealous students would quickly be brought up short by the real world, as businesses told them to pipe down and get to work. That simply hasn't happened. We've seen corporation after corporation bow to the fashion and virtue signalling inherent in CRT. The latest was, of all things, the NASDAQ exchange, whose president is now floating a demand that all companies listed on the exchange be required to have a certain number of minorities and women on their boards or be delisted.

No, that doesn't mean corporations are socialists. Mind you, that wasn't exactly what he said. He p pointed out how corporations cooperated fully with the Nazis in Germany. And how Chinese and Russian corporations are inextricably linked with their governments. Don't look to corporations for bravery. They'll virtue signal with whatever seems fashionable and whatever seems likely to exempt them from attacks. There's no money to be made by standing up for truth when it invites boycotts.

 

Edited by Argus
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Argus said:

But what if they can't be questioned? What if a stifling groupthink has those who disagree cowed by fear of attack?

Then that would be a problem that liberals need to deal with.  Without getting into specifics, if the problem is that legitimate questions are dismissed because they are racist then that's a problem with liberalism.  Perhaps some people cant trust the motives of those engaged in a discussion, and perhaps that's because the lines between public/private/mass discussion are blurred.  There would need to be steps taken to re-establish ground rules.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Tell a friend

    Love Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...