Jump to content
Political Discussion Forums

my take on covid 19 response


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, oops said:

Of course you would not post this if you didn't have a source. Please let us in on your source. 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/02/uk/uk-coronavirus-hospitals-emergency-gbr-intl/index.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55505722

Not so great in California either.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/california-funeral-homes-run-out-of-space-as-covid-19-rages-1.5251377?utm_source=ground.news&utm_medium=referral

Edited by Argus
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trudeau's last defense crumbles. The message has been that we couldn't make the vaccine here, and had to rely on other countries who had vaccine production facilities. Well, guess what? According

Well, that's because the authorities know that, while their God will protect anyone who attends the services, it won't give a toss about anyone they bump into at Safeway afterwards. 

https://nationalpost.com/health/bio-warfare-experts-question-why-canada-was-sending-lethal-viruses-to-china

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

Of course the new strain has changed the picture significantly. Part of Britain's problem is a decline in the health care system.

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publications/nhs-hospital-bed-numbers


 

The total number of NHS hospital beds in England, including general and acute, mental illness, learning disability, maternity and day-only beds, has more than halved over the past 30 years, from around 299,000 in 1987/88 to 141,000 in 2018/9, while the number of patients treated has increased significantly.

  • Most other advanced health care systems have also reduced bed numbers in recent years. However, the UK has fewer acute beds relative to its population than many comparable health systems.

Of course the big picture is that lockdowns makes this situation worse. Underfunding of the healthcare system has reduced it's capacity to respond appropriately to this crisis. The big picture solution is to promote a healthy economy that can support an effective healthcare system. It is good to see that Britain is using field hospitals to address the shortage of hospital beds. Of course preventing fires is better than putting them out. A better solution is to do more testing, so they know who to isolate. Why they keep chasing this thing instead of trying to get ahead of it is kind of puzzling. 

There are currently 23,823 current hospitalizations and 141,000 remaining hospital bed in the UK that is one in six, not two thirds. It is not wise to do long term damage to solve a short term problem. It is a virus, and people will get sick, and people will die, but it is not the last virus we will see. Better to support a healthy economy and be ready for the next one.

Increased testing is needed, why wander around in the dark, when it is better to turn on a light and stop bumping into things. There are 2,599,000 infections in the UK out of 66,650,000 population, that is 4% of the population, why not test their contacts, and their contacts to find out who is likely to transmit the virus. Better still there are rapid at home tests, why not provide them to as many people as possible, If we could test everyone we could use an informed response instead of attacking it blindly. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51768274

Edited by oops
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, oops said:

If we could test everyone, and isolate everyone necessary, we could end this crisis in 14 days.

That may be true, but there are always consequences for everything. If the price to be paid is too high, the treatment kills the patient.

It's like trying to use boiling water to cure cancer. Sure you can kill the tumour cells but the problem is you would also cook the shit out of everything else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

That may be true, but there are always consequences for everything. If the price to be paid is too high, the treatment kills the patient.

It's like trying to use boiling water to cure cancer. Sure you can kill the tumour cells but the problem is you would also cook the shit out of everything else.

There actually has been a very low death rate among people who have been tested for covid19. The idea with treating cancerous tumors with scalding hot water is to use only a little. It doesn't take a lot, because the burn spreads. Have faith in our doctors, they are less reckless than you might believe.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, oops said:

Of course the new strain has changed the picture significantly. Part of Britain's problem is a decline in the health care system.

There are now well over 100,000 Americans in hospital with covid. 1% of America has now died of Covid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Argus said:

There are now well over 100,000 Americans in hospital with covid. 1% of America has now died of Covid.

Sounds dramatic, but without a baseline, it doesn't mean much. People die every day in America.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Argus said:

There are now well over 100,000 Americans in hospital with covid. 1% of America has now died of Covid.

You are so focused on death, one wonders if you hate life. The world is under attack from a virus, so the response is to shut down the economy, and limit personal freedoms. Isn't one blow enough for you? If you had a rodent problem in your house, you could burn down the house, and probably solve the problem. Others however might hire an exterminator who would find out where the mice are getting in, seal the holes, and then devise a plan to get rid of the mice without doing damage to the house.  It is your choice of course, but the fire department might have some hard questions when they arrive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Argus said:

There are now well over 100,000 Americans in hospital with covid. 1% of America has now died of Covid.

I don't know why I believe anything you say. 351, 000 Americans out of a population of 382,000,000 have died from covid19. That is just under one tenth of one percent. I don't know if you are incapable of doing math, or incapable of telling the truth.

 

https://www.google.com/search?q=us+covid+deaths&rlz=1C1GGRV_enCA911CA911&oq=us+covid+deaths&aqs=chrome..69i57j0j0i131i433l2j0l4.7321j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

 

https://www.google.com/search?q=population+of+us&rlz=1C1GGRV_enCA911CA911&oq=population+of+us&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i67i457j0i67l3j0l2j69i61.13727j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

It is becoming apparent why you neglect to provide sources for the imaginary concoctions you post.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, oops said:

I don't know why I believe anything you say. 351, 000 Americans out of a population of 382,000,000 have died from covid19. That is just under one tenth of one percent. I don't know if you are incapable of doing math, or incapable of telling the truth.

I misread the second one. It's 1% who have officially been diagnosed. I notice you've ignored the first one. And I always provide cites when asked. And unlike the cranks and nuts and wack jobs who are anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers they're legitimate cites from sane people.

I don't need to make stuff up. I leave that to the conspiracy loonies who think Bill Gates is trying to implant microchips in their tiny brains.

Edited by Argus
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Fun with math:   2.5 % of "officially diagnosed cases" in Canada have been fatal.

That's worse than the U.S.  

Oh my !

 

Makes testing seem all the more important.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

It's like trying to use boiling water to cure cancer. Sure you can kill the tumour cells but the problem is you would also cook the shit out of everything else.

Somewhat off topic, but water can be heated to 700 degrees Fahrenheit and is non toxic. A very little amount of water could destroy a lot of tumor. If it was that easy someone smarter than me would have thought of it a long time ago, right?

Superheated water is liquid water under pressure at temperatures between the usual boiling point, 100 °C (212 °F) and the critical temperature, 374 °C (705 °F). It is also known as "subcritical water" or "pressurized hot water."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superheated_water#:~:text=Superheated water is liquid water,C (705 °F).

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, oops said:

Somewhat off topic, but water can be heated to 700 degrees Fahrenheit and is non toxic. A very little amount of water could destroy a lot of tumor. If it was that easy someone smarter than me would have thought of it a long time ago, right?

Superheated water is liquid water under pressure at temperatures between the usual boiling point, 100 °C (212 °F) and the critical temperature, 374 °C (705 °F). It is also known as "subcritical water" or "pressurized hot water."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superheated_water#:~:text=Superheated water is liquid water,C (705 °F).

I admit it sounds intriguing but the equipment will need full boiler and pressure vessel registration, before the steampipes can be connected.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oops said:

 I don't know if you are incapable of doing math, or incapable of telling the truth.

 

 

Quote

There are 2,599, infections in the UK out of 66,650,000 population, that is 4% of the population,

Those that live in glass house should not throw rocks, i think your numbers are way off, or your math is really bad as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

Those that live in glass house should not throw rocks, i think your numbers are way off, or your math is really bad as well.

Of course you are correct. The math is actually correct if you add three zeroes to the infections number. I was not intentionally misleading, just not much of a typist.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As the Globe points out, the outrage shouldn't be that some idiot politicians took holidays in the sun. The outrage should be over the crappy response to the pandemic on behalf of almost all governments.

But Canada has for the better part of a year run border pandemic security on the honour system. Until a sudden order in late December for travellers entering Canada to get a COVID-19 test before flying, the Trudeau government showed a consistent and bewildering lack of interest in the matter. There was no testing of travellers on arrival, and there still isn’t. There’s still no mandatory quarantine at a government hotel at the travellers’ expense, as in Australia. There’s just the signing of a promise to stay home for 14 days.

Meanwhile in the provinces, the vaccine rollout has so far been shockingly slow, notably in Ontario. Canada’s vaccination pace is even behind the hapless Americans. (Similarly, Canada’s daily testing rate is currently half that of the U.S.) As for the thick walls that were supposed to have been built around the country’s long-term care homes, they’ve turned out to be remarkably porous. In essential workplaces, from food processing to factories to logistics, steps to lower infection through proper screening remain insufficient.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/editorials/article-politicians-flying-off-to-the-beach-thats-not-the-real-outrage/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anal retentives are calling for even more and harsher lockdowns. Like how they bolted and welded peoples doors shut in comminist China, or kept them penned like sheep in Australia. Might as well create a prison society.

They are complete virus fanatics.But its all for our own good, so that we stay... safe :ph34r:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Covid-19 response by various levels of governments has been weak. Vaccine rollouts slow and more importantly Federal government must close borders even to those citizens who choose to travel abroad. They must stay out until this pandemic is declared over because they are endangering many lives of many Canadians who followed the advice and stayed put. They have no right to do so..

So far about a dozen Canadians have been diagnosed with mutated easily spread UK Covid-19 virus and very likely many more will be diagnosed and some will lose their lives because some selfish (idiot) individuals decided to travel. Unacceptable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

So far about a dozen Canadians have been diagnosed with mutated easily spread UK Covid-19 virus and very likely many more will be diagnosed and some will lose their lives because some selfish (idiot) individuals decided to travel. Unacceptable. 

Are you kidding me? This doesn't even compare to our government's initial decision to let C19 pour in from China for 45 days while telling people not to wear masks.

(If you think about it, Andrew Cuomo killed more people in NY nursing homes in just a couple months than the number of people who died in the history of our whole country from covid. That's unacceptable.) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There have been over 7,000,000 border crossings into Canada since restrictions were put in place (the border is not really closed).   Thousands still cross into Canada each day for commerce, employment, and travel returns.   Canadian snowbirds are flying to the US side and beyond, picking up their shipped cars and RVs and heading to warm, sunny states like Florida and Arizona, where they can get vaccinated faster than in Canada.

Trudeau's own wife returned from UK travel...with COVID-19 back in March.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

There have been over 7,000,000 border crossings into Canada since restrictions were put in place (the border is not really closed).   Thousands still cross into Canada each day for commerce, employment, and travel returns.   Canadian snowbirds are flying to the US side and beyond, picking up their shipped cars and RVs and heading to warm, sunny states like Florida and Arizona, where they can get vaccinated faster than in Canada.

Trudeau's own wife returned from UK travel...with COVID-19 back in March.

 

Great.  I'm heading to Buffalo tomorrow then to do some border shopping.  Are the Sabres in town?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Cannucklehead said:

Great.  I'm heading to Buffalo tomorrow then to do some border shopping.  Are the Sabres in town?  

 

Good point....how many Canadian NHL players will be going to their U.S. based teams for training camp and the 2021 COVID divisions season ?   After losing the World Juniors gold medal game, some drafted Canadian players want to get to their U.S. teams.

'Course, the Canadian gubermint recommends no international travel, right ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Tell a friend

    Love Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...