Political Discussion Forums

Americans watching Canadian shows?

I am most intrigued by Americans watching Da Vinci's Inquest. It aired last year there and it ran ahead of CSI re-runs. I never knew that Americans would watch Canadian shows much. Da Vinci's Inquest is a great show in my opinion.

"Street Legal" is another Canadian show that did very well in the USA.

"Due South" was also quite a big hit, from what I understand.

I know there are other Canadian shows that did quite well in the States, just can't think of them right now.

Oh yeah, "Trailer Park Boys" is, apparently, gaining a lot of popularity.

I am most intrigued by Americans watching Da Vinci's Inquest. It aired last year there and it ran ahead of CSI re-runs. I never knew that Americans would watch Canadian shows much. Da Vinci's Inquest is a great show in my opinion.

I never saw the show :(

Whats the difference with the Da Vinci Code - I read that

As I have been saying all along, American productions are not subsidized with taxpayer's dollars and should not be subsidized here either. The shows you have mentioned may be doing well in the U.S. because they are quality shows, and can make it on their own merits. That said there is much on Canadian television that is not fit to watch, and wouldn't have even been produced had it not been for the injection of taxpayer's dollars, and much of that is on CBC.

CBC especially, as far as I'm concerned should receive a budget to produce a national news service, but nor enough to produce full blown productions. If they want to continue to produce or air these productions they should be made to operate similar to PBS, where individuals subscribe to keep the network on the air.

Other braodcasters in Canada are also receiving subsidies from the federal coffers to produce utter crap, but I contend subsidies for television productions should be funded by interested individuals and corporations, not the taxpayers of this country. Our tax dollars would be better spent on cutting payroll taxes and putting more disposable income back into the hands of the working poor in this country, and just maybe these people would not have to rely on food banks to make ends meet.

"Street Legal" is another Canadian show that did very well in the USA.

"Due South" was also quite a big hit, from what I understand.

I know there are other Canadian shows that did quite well in the States, just can't think of them right now.

Oh yeah, "Trailer Park Boys" is, apparently, gaining a lot of popularity.

No, it's based on the life of Larry Campbell. He was the coroner on Vancouver, then he was elected mayor of Vancouver, now he's a senator.

"DaVinci's Inquest" is the only Canadian show I've ever enjoyed in my life. It was great by any standards.

However, I realize that they're trying to follow old Larry ... but will "DaVinci City Hall "be as good?

I don't know about anyone else, but I really loved the bodies in the park, the meals in dives, the strolls on the lower East Side, the bone fragments ... the whole cast . I mean can shuffling paper be as fun?

And what about Ian Tracy? A fabulous character. Evidently he branches off as the Coroner in a new show at the end of November. This may be the show I'll continue with.

Whats the difference with the Da Vinci Code - I read that

There's no relation at all between the two.

DaVinci's Inquest was about a coroner in Vancouver, whose last name, I gather, is DaVinci.

"DaVinci's Inquest" is the only Canadian show I've ever enjoyed in my life. It was great by any standards.

I personally think Corner Gas is the best Canadian show on the tube.

I think it's interesting that the best Canadian entertainment programming is coming from CTV and not CBC.

-k

"Television is the opiate of the masses"....Calvin (&Hobbes)...by Bill Watterson, I believe.

It is good to hear that 'entertainment' is going both ways, I remember some awfully funny and entertaining stuff that was Canadian Made.

However, that being said, I watch little or no television whatsoever. It is just people 'playing house' or charades, but garnering huge salaries to do so. One of my pet peeves is having a shortage of doctors in Canada, while pretending to be a doctor on television will earn exponentially more.

My friends, co workers and customers are often funnier than any sitcom, and I would rather watch the honest, youthful exuberance of my neighbour's children 'playing house' than obscenely overpaid, self-absorbed actors doing the same thing.

Road to Avonlea did well too  :P

Seriously though now, Canada puts out great television programs.

Hell, imo patriotic humble opinion, we do alot of things well (Movies, TV, Music, Literature).

I'm not so sure that Canadians agree that Canada puts out great TV programs. The last ratings I saw - about a month ago - had only 2 Canadian shows in the Top 20; Corner Gas and the CTV National News. Indeed, for months and months I have only seen the same Canadian 2 shows in the Top 20, although I suspect that Hockey Night in Canada will make the Top 20 now that the strike is over.

All the other shows in the Top 20 were American.

Personally, I like Trailer Park Boys the best. The show is very different and has funny loveable losers for characters.

No, it's based on the life of Larry Campbell. He was the coroner on Vancouver, then he was elected mayor of Vancouver, now he's a senator.
However, I realize that they're trying to follow old Larry ... but will "DaVinci City Hall "be as good?

So this season DaVinci becomes the mayor of Vancouver, and the show is following Larry Campbell's life.

DaVinci's term should be a short one in city hall like Campbell's.

I can't wait for next season's DaVinci....."DaVinci-Liberal Senator",

that one should keep the DaVinci series going.

Think of the endless story lines that the writers could come up with.

DaVinci discovers a dead senator in his seat,who's been presumed to have been alive for years.

DaVinci discovers he is going crazy and goes back to drinking because he has nothing to do

DaVinci gets locked in the washroom, and no one bothers to look for him.

DaVinci doesn't know what to do with all the money he gets so he decides to buy a condo in Mexico.

I'm sure others could come up with better story lines for the new series.

And since being a senator is for life, the series would last for a long long time.

As I have been saying all along, American productions are not subsidized with taxpayer's dollars and should not be subsidized here either. The shows you have mentioned may be doing well in the U.S. because they are quality shows, and can make it on their own merits. That said there is much on Canadian television that is not fit to watch, and wouldn't have even been produced had it not been for the injection of taxpayer's dollars, and much of that is on CBC. 

CBC especially, as far as I'm concerned should receive a budget to produce a national news service, but nor enough to produce full blown productions. If they want to continue to produce or air these productions they should be made to operate similar to PBS, where individuals subscribe to keep the network on the air.

Other braodcasters in Canada are also receiving subsidies from the federal coffers to produce utter crap, but I contend subsidies for television productions should be funded by interested individuals and corporations, not the taxpayers of this country. Our tax dollars would be better spent on cutting payroll taxes and putting more disposable income back into the hands of the working poor in this country, and just maybe these people would not have to rely on food banks to make ends meet.

Canadian culture is under an alarming attack by hollywood. If anything, our Government should be putting more towards the arts. Helping those individuals who excert creativity and picturesque ambition. The "melting pot" of American pop culture isn't halted by imaginary borders. As a male fresh out of adolescence I know this, as I can tell you more about another country's way of life then I can my own.

So this season DaVinci becomes the mayor of Vancouver, and the show is following Larry Campbell's life.

DaVinci's term should be a short one in city hall like Campbell's.

Well DaVinci's City Hall is actually having an impact on the City of Vancouver's Mayoral election on November 19.

Not content to follow in Larry's footsteps anymore, they've taken their plot line a few steps forward & have instituted legal brothels (a throwaway line from the real Larry on his way out of office) in the show.

So now the two main Mayoral candidates are being beseiged by the local media with questions about legal brothels in Vancouver.

It has become life imitating art out here.

I hope the show brings smoking back to the bars!

Guest American Woman
http://www.cbc.ca/wonderland/

American Woman

If you didn't know yet.

Third Season Premieres

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 at 8:00 p.m.

I didn't know that, so thank you. I appreciate the info. I don't know why I was having such a difficult time finding information about it myself.

And Kimmy, there are people out there who can help you deal with those kind of urges. :P

• 2 months later...
Well DaVinci's City Hall is actually having an impact on the City of Vancouver's Mayoral election on November 19.

Not content to follow in Larry's footsteps anymore, they've taken their plot line a few steps forward & have instituted legal brothels (a throwaway line from the real Larry on his way out of office) in the show.

So now the two main Mayoral candidates are being beseiged by the local media with questions about legal brothels in Vancouver.

It has become life imitating art out here.

I hope the show brings smoking back to the bars!

Well DaVinci's City Hall was just cancelled and with it your hopes of smoking in bars.

You know, we are a minority now.

Well DaVinci's City Hall was just cancelled and with it your hopes of smoking in bars.

You know, we are a minority now.

And the fucking Air Farce staggers on. There is no God. :(

As long as Corner Gas is around, I'm content with Canadian TV.

Yes the Americans really liked the Red,Green show as well. The only stations worth watchin, in my opinion, are the CBC, TVO, SCN and the BC show. I also like PBS.

How most of the crap that is shown on the A channel gets thorough I don't understand.