Political Discussion Forums

Red state suppression of voters in the news !

Johnny

I am hearing horror stories about how RED states are working to suppress voter's rights with changes to mailing ballots, Absente ballots, voting times, and identification checks?

Is there no federal rule that can be used to stop this sort of thing. Supreme Court? The Constitution?

I know it is up to the states to determine voting rules but, is there nothing to stop obvious voter suppression?

Just my concern for a healthy future!

• Haha 1

It's a conservative court which has shown almost zero interest in fair elections. It struck down laws which would limit how much corporations and the wealthy could donate, for example, which allowed wealthy individuals to simply buy up whole states. It shrugged and said gerrymandering wasn't its problem. It also has largely ignored voter suppression as long it's not too, too blatant.

The Republicans will say "We're just protecting the election against phony voters." And if that happens to make it harder for poor people to vote, oh well. I mean, it's certainly still possible for them to vote. They just have to make the arrangements to get some kind of state ID card (the middle class already have lots of ID). And if they don't want to do that, so what? And if certain districts have fewer ballot boxes than others, and those happen to have a lot of minorities in them, well, waiting in line is a small price to pay for voting, right?

Voter suppression doesn't stop people from voting, it just makes it a bit harder and more time-consuming. Which means, given human nature, that it will cause a certain number of people, mostly poorer, mostly minorities, to not bother. But hey, that's up to them. Or so says the court. As long as they still CAN vote, the court seems content.

Of course, given how tight the vote is in battleground states, and that such people tend to vote Democrat, it doesn't take much of that to swing the election.

But don't call it cheating! Nonsense! The Republicans aren't cheating with all this! Only the Democrats cheat! And they do it in such clever ways no one can prove it!

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Argus said:

It's a conservative court which has shown almost zero interest in fair elections. It struck down laws which would limit how much corporations and the wealthy could donate, for example, which allowed wealthy individuals to simply buy up whole states. It shrugged and said gerrymandering wasn't its problem. It also has largely ignored voter suppression as long it's not too, too blatant.

The Republicans will say "We're just protecting the election against phony voters." And if that happens to make it harder for poor people to vote, oh well. I mean, it's certainly still possible for them to vote. They just have to make the arrangements to get some kind of state ID card (the middle class already have lots of ID). And if they don't want to do that, so what? And if certain districts have fewer ballot boxes than others, and those happen to have a lot of minorities in them, well, waiting in line is a small price to pay for voting, right?

Voter suppression doesn't stop people from voting, it just makes it a bit harder and more time-consuming. Which means, given human nature, that it will cause a certain number of people, mostly poorer, mostly minorities, to not bother. But hey, that's up to them. Or so says the court. As long as they still CAN vote, the court seems content.

Of course, given how tight the vote is in battleground states, and that such people tend to vote Democrat, it doesn't take much of that to swing the election.

But don't call it cheating! Nonsense! The Republicans aren't cheating with all this! Only the Democrats cheat! And they do it in such clever ways no one can prove it!

Complete and utter nonsense.  God you’re ignorant.  Vote early vote often! The Democrat mantra! 🤣

1 hour ago, Johnny said:

I am hearing horror stories about how RED states are working to suppress voter's rights with changes to mailing ballots, Absente ballots, voting times, and identification checks?

Is there no federal rule that can be used to stop this sort of thing. Supreme Court? The Constitution?

I know it is up to the states to determine voting rules but, is there nothing to stop obvious voter suppression?

Just my concern for a healthy future!

Fortunately, some people still care about the sanctity of elections.  That’s why identification is required for voting.  That’s why there are always deadlines for voting.  That’s why signatures must match.  That’s why keeping voter rolls up to date is important so that you’re only sending ballots to residents of your state.  Everything Democrats fight against.  They’ve been eroding trust in elections for decades.  All of these provisions have been upheld by supreme courts going back decades.  Everyone votes under the same rules.  

2 hours ago, Shady said:

Complete and utter nonsense.  God you’re ignorant.  Vote early vote often! The Democrat mantra! 🤣

Every election is a fraud unless I win! Waaah! Waaaah! Cry some more, Shady.