Political Discussion Forums

Canada concerned it will be cut out of the US 2 trillion dollar program...

Why should this even be an concern, maybe Canada should get it's own stimulus package and stop worrying about the US.. Canada is nothing more than a free loader, wants everything for free, but unwilling to invest in anything else.... The US should have a clause in this package all this money will be spent in the US , on US companies, with US citizens doing the work...no more free loading Canada.... It's time we pay our own way in this world. 

Canada could be shut out of Biden's $2-trillion infrastructure spending plans, Canadian negotiator warns (msn.com)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The door swings both ways on this.  As long as we sell into each other's countries fairly evenly, it's fair to share some of the supply chain.  I don't think that the stimulus will make a vast difference, but it might draw a bit more softwood for home construction for a few months, that kind of thing.  

On 3/4/2021 at 9:00 PM, Army Guy said:

Why should this even be an concern, maybe Canada should get it's own stimulus package and stop worrying about the US.. Canada is nothing more than a free loader, wants everything for free, but unwilling to invest in anything else.... The US should have a clause in this package all this money will be spent in the US , on US companies, with US citizens doing the work...no more free loading Canada.... It's time we pay our own way in this world. 

Canada could be shut out of Biden's $2-trillion infrastructure spending plans, Canadian negotiator warns (msn.com)

And "paying our own way" should include setting up matching "Buy Canadian" provisions that favor our own industries and businesses over Americans! 

If, after 30 years of this NAFTA garbage, the US is still free to slap on tariffs and duties whenever they feel like it, we need to do likewise...and favor countries that will actually trade fairly if we do "free trade" at all!

15 hours ago, Right To Left said:

And "paying our own way" should include setting up matching "Buy Canadian" provisions that favor our own industries and businesses over Americans! 

If, after 30 years of this NAFTA garbage, the US is still free to slap on tariffs and duties whenever they feel like it, we need to do likewise...and favor countries that will actually trade fairly if we do "free trade" at all!

Why not, i can remember back in the day BUY Canadian was a real thing, big red stickers said made in Canada plastered all over Canadian goods.. I'm all for Buying Canadian, but the majority of consumers 9Canadians) are not, they want the cheapest price, and those items are made in china.. 

Th US is the elephant in the room, they don't rely on us and our products, they could easily replace Canadian goods with other countries... And Yet Canada is very dependent on the US, "don't bite the hand that feeds you".. When your the big dog you get to make most of the rules, might be different if Canada actually contributed in a meaningful way to say defense , NATO, NORAD, all it's defensive pacts it has signed on to. Crises around the world, we no longer have a seat at the table, shit we can't even get a seat at the UN... Nobody really takes us seriously, 

Canada is to lazy to become self sufficient, or diversify our trade unless it is with China, WE LOVE China, and how is that working out for us...

1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

Why not, i can remember back in the day BUY Canadian was a real thing, big red stickers said made in Canada plastered all over Canadian goods.. I'm all for Buying Canadian, but the majority of consumers 9Canadians) are not, they want the cheapest price, and those items are made in china.. 

Th US is the elephant in the room, they don't rely on us and our products, they could easily replace Canadian goods with other countries... And Yet Canada is very dependent on the US, "don't bite the hand that feeds you".. When your the big dog you get to make most of the rules, might be different if Canada actually contributed in a meaningful way to say defense , NATO, NORAD, all it's defensive pacts it has signed on to. Crises around the world, we no longer have a seat at the table, shit we can't even get a seat at the UN... Nobody really takes us seriously, 

Canada is to lazy to become self sufficient, or diversify our trade unless it is with China, WE LOVE China, and how is that working out for us...

Were we (I mean average consumers...working people) given a choice on this? As I recall, the buy Canadian and corresponding Buy American signs at the Walmarts started disappearing back in the 80's, even before the ink was dry on all this free trade crap! 

We're dependent on the US because we've been made dependent on them! Our bribe-collecting leaders have all decided that open borders and outsourcing production are supreme virtues and take precedence over promoting local business and production. We used to have a lot more of it in the old days...same as the US and other nations. 

Now, after more than a year of Covid-19 spreads and variants, that came on us after we were already headed down an economic decline, we've got a giant penis-shaped cargo ship that's wedged in tightly mid-channel in the Suez Canal zone. And now cargo shipping, insurance underwriters, oil tankers and all of the locations in how ever many nations that have been expecting deliveries soon, are being told there's going to be weeks-long delays before products arrive. 

It was bad enough back in the aftermath of the Israeli invasion of the Sinai, that included mining both ends of the Suez Canal to stop shipments...that left 15 cargo ships stuck in the middle for 7 or 8 years, until all of the issues between Israel and Egypt were resolved enough to re-open the canal and allow shipping again in 1975. 

BUT, right now! For everyone who's been a detractor of "free trade" and extended supply lines, and Just-In-Time inventory controlling, this is going to be time to sweat for a few months at least! Because nobody knows right now just how far the damage will extend.

3 minutes ago, Right To Left said:

Were we (I mean average consumers...working people) given a choice on this? As I recall, the buy Canadian and corresponding Buy American signs at the Walmarts started disappearing back in the 80's, even before the ink was dry on all this free trade crap! 

We're dependent on the US because we've been made dependent on them! Our bribe-collecting leaders have all decided that open borders and outsourcing production are supreme virtues and take precedence over promoting local business and production. We used to have a lot more of it in the old days...same as the US and other nations. 

Now, after more than a year of Covid-19 spreads and variants, that came on us after we were already headed down an economic decline, we've got a giant penis-shaped cargo ship that's wedged in tightly mid-channel in the Suez Canal zone. And now cargo shipping, insurance underwriters, oil tankers and all of the locations in how ever many nations that have been expecting deliveries soon, are being told there's going to be weeks-long delays before products arrive. 

It was bad enough back in the aftermath of the Israeli invasion of the Sinai, that included mining both ends of the Suez Canal to stop shipments...that left 15 cargo ships stuck in the middle for 7 or 8 years, until all of the issues between Israel and Egypt were resolved enough to re-open the canal and allow shipping again in 1975. 

BUT, right now! For everyone who's been a detractor of "free trade" and extended supply lines, and Just-In-Time inventory controlling, this is going to be time to sweat for a few months at least! Because nobody knows right now just how far the damage will extend.

Canadians make those choices everyday, let me ask you when you purchase a product do you look at price as the deciding factor or where it is made.. most people are looking at the price.... and I'm not talking about produce but something that is Made in Canada .

Not true, we are dependent on the US because we are to lazy to do anything about it. How else do you explain it being that way for decades. We have had plenty of time to diversify our trade but have not... The US does not care , nor do they spend much time thinking about the issue. 

I think Justins carbon taxes are going to effect all of us  more, than that ship blocking traffic.

48 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

Canadians make those choices everyday, let me ask you when you purchase a product do you look at price as the deciding factor or where it is made.. most people are looking at the price.... and I'm not talking about produce but something that is Made in Canada .

Not true, we are dependent on the US because we are to lazy to do anything about it. How else do you explain it being that way for decades. We have had plenty of time to diversify our trade but have not... The US does not care , nor do they spend much time thinking about the issue. 

I think Justins carbon taxes are going to effect all of us  more, than that ship blocking traffic.

Many times, I'm looking at product utility (whether I need it or not). And for me, the bullshit really hit the fan in recent years when Apple and other portable computer makers started producing "smart" phones, and within a couple of years, stopped making or even selling the little flip phones that did not access the internet.

WHY? The profit returns weren't as good in the early years, but it became clear that (along with large institutions and shopping malls not replacing pay phones) that everyone was going to have to walk around with their portable monitoring device whether they want to or not!  What was that again about free choice?

Same shit...and even worse from my perspective with the little portable mp3 players like Apple's Ipod Shuffle series. The 4th and last generation of Ipod Shuffle that came out 10 years ago was priced at about $100 and later dropped down to about 50 a few years later. Other players were cheaper, but they were only good for music. Once Apple Corp bought a monopoly control of rss audio tech and put it under their Itunes label, just about every podcaster had to upload to Itunes and those shuffle and other Ipods were the only ones that bookmarked podcasts. 

For me, this was and still is ALL I wanted or needed from a portable audio player, and I had no intentions of joining the ranks of the idiots with armband phone holders to fiddle with. And even now, I've had to pay blackmarket retailers thru Amazon 3 to 4 times the original price to get the last of the new, unopened Ipod shuffles available. And yet, neither Apple or anyone else licensed to deal their products has been allowed to continue production of these devices, even though I and many others are living proof that there is still a market for them.

So much for free enterprise! 

We're interdependant. We're the USA biggest customer of finished good, they're our biggest customer of natural ressources. 

As for Norad/Nato, the USA gets to enjoy a northern buffer zone, against Russia. They also enjoyed an early warning system with radar installation all along the northern coast. Canada is a country of 35-40 millions people. Nobody, not even the USA, believe we can spend as much as they do on military equipments. Beside, the USA has never wanted a stronger military in Canada. They balked at the creation of the RCN because it meant the end of them coming into our national water to fish, and they also complained about our military aviation industry when  we built the Avro Arrow.

People missunderstood Trump when  he bitched about countries not paying their fair share in Nato. He didn't want countries to start investing in THEIR armed forces. What he wanted was for the other Nato countries to write checks to pay for the USA armed forces. Not gonna happen.