Political Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
betsy

Gun Shop Owner Thanks Martin

Right after Martin went public threatening to ban hand-guns (which I think there's really no need to), sales of handguns went sky-high that suppliers are out-of-stocked. A gun shop owner interviewed on tv said his sales right after Martin announced the ban was five times more than he sold in 5 years. He said he plans to send Martin a thank-you note.

A crook said after Martin's announcement: "Oh good, then we're the only ones with guns! " :D

Kidding aside, I think Martin is steadily being reckless.

On this issue, I think "stupid" would be a better word than "reckless".

But there are still, unfortunately, many who believe that if all guns are banned, that the gun-toting criminals will saunter into police stations across the country and surrender their firearms. :blink:

Guns don't actually kill people, people kill people. The misuse of weapons is the problem. Banning them won't make them any less lethal or stop criminals from obtaining them.

The current hand guns laws in this country are very restrictive. It's the lack of enforcement and our pathetic justice system that seems to be letting people off the hook for anything but murder. It's time to get tough on crime.

Randomly-placed long-range metal-detectors on the streets of Toronto in and around the main problem areas.

Set up so that they only go off when detecting a substantial piece of metal (not just a zipper or something).

Police in plain clothes lurking near these detectors.

Bust the bastards and put 'em away.

They may end up doing a few body-searches on guys carrying a pair of pliers or a multitool, but you can bet once word gets around, a lot of the gangsta's will leave their rods at home.

Maybe we should just pass a law that enroll ppl in the army if they don't find work after 1 years and don't want to go to school anymore.

i guess we wouldn't have anymore gangster.

Liberals pals are always using gun associated killings statistics comparing Toronto to New York City.

Toronto has an area of 3,646 sq.miles housing 4.6 million people.

New York City has an area of 309 sq.miles housing 8.1 million people.

Social conditons do not compare and is unfair to make comparisons to a highly congested city like New York.

We will wait for Toronto to stuff approx. 10-times the population into it's present land size to equal congested conditons as in New York and then compare statistics.

Okay, how about comparing T.O. to Chicago or Houston? They're roughly the same size. Both those U.S. cities have nearly 10 times the murder rate of Toronto.

On this issue, I think "stupid" would be a better word than "reckless".

But there are still, unfortunately, many who believe that if all guns are banned, that the gun-toting criminals will saunter into police stations across the country and surrender their firearms. :blink:

It's true! Banning handguns was a resounding success in the UK and Australia (both islands). And don't forget how successful it was in Washington, D.C. :blink:

It's just common sense. If you ban handguns, criminals will never ever be able to get them. :unsure:

Okay, how about comparing T.O. to Chicago or Houston?  They're roughly the same size. Both those U.S. cities have nearly 10 times the murder rate of Toronto.

Chicago banned handguns. And how many of these shootings are people defending themselves from attackers? I often read about the little old lady that shot some scumbag that broke into her house. I suspect there are even more instances of this besides little old ladies (which make for a good story).

What about the off-duty cop who was shot in TO on Boxing Day? He is forbidden to carry a gun while off duty.

Guest eureka

What about the 400 or so murders in Chicago compared to Toronto's 70 - all round figures. And what about the one third reduction in gun related homicides in Chicago following the ban?

How about the dear departed New Orleans, a much smaller city than Toronto, where for the five years before Katrina visited, there was an average of i6 gun related homicides every month.

What about Washington's ban on handguns? How could it be effective in any way when all around Washington the NRA reigns supreme including one state that has the second highest number of executions annually for murders moxtly committed with handguns.