Political Discussion Forums
auscan

Canadian Flag Pledge

Good article today about people that put flags up and leave them till there are tattered as hell. Should there be a law against that on federal or public land.

Good article today about people that put flags up and leave them till there are tattered as hell. Should there be a law against that on federal or public land.

Conservative supporters. Raising the important issues. :rolleyes:

Happy Canada Day!

February 4, 2006

On February 4, 2006  - a subscriber to mapleleafweb.com named Auscon started this post with the following question:

I would like to hear from anyone who can remember the pledge we used to make to the Canadian flag during "morning exercises" at school in the 60's and 70's. I distinctly remember after entering class, singing 'God Save the Queen', reciting a quick quote from the Bible, and then saluting the Flag and saying something like " I salute the flag, the emblem of my country, to which...." or something along those lines. Anyone else in the forum that remembers this and can tell me the pledge? I have checked the maple leaf web site and it states there is no recognized pledge. But we did this for years at school. I am from Alberta. Was this unique to our schools?

Hope someone can help. Regards Auscan

In Answer to Auscan's Initial post - I was looking to see what was listed as the officially posted pledge of allegiance to the flag of Canada. I was taught this  - way back in 1965 when the Canadian flag was first adopted in place of the Red Ensign (when I was in Grade 4 - at Queen Elizabeth Elementary School in Trenton, Ontario and it was the following pledge (I am now 61 years of age - that was a long time ago but I still remember it word for word:

"I pledge allegiance to our flag, to our Queen and to our Country. One Country, indivisible, with liberty, equality and justice for all. One God, One Queen, One Flag, One pledge for all, one destiny for all."

I too- like Auscan remember exactly the same morning routine which (even though I was attending a PUBLIC not SEPARATE School)- included reading a bible passage every morning along with singing BOTH "God Save the Queen" and "Oh Canada".

Thanks Auscan for this... it's great to share this memory of the past...

Draftman

13 minutes ago, Draftman said:

I would like to hear from anyone who can remember the pledge we used to make to the Canadian flag during "morning exercises" at school in the 60's and 70's.

I grew up during that time in the Protestant School Board of Greater Montreal. I remember in grade school singing O'Canada, and God Save the Queen, but I don't remember any pledge to the flag. We certainly stood when we sang, and probably saluted the flag at least during O'Canada. I think God Save the Queen got dropped probably about the early 70's. I don't specifically recall any Bible passages being read, if they ever were it would be the exception and not the daily ritual.

The school board was English, and despite the name was what one would consider public. There was also a large English Catholic school board, as I remember they had about the same enrollment in our area but over the entire city I think they were smaller.

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2009 at 1:50 AM, Guest ranger said:

I certainly remember in the 60's lining up outside our classroom in the hall every morning in our "public" Edmonton school . We recited the Lords Prayer, sang "o Canada", or God save the Queen and we recited " I salute the flag, the emblem of my country, to who( it is not a person) I pledge my love and loyalty". We also sang on Fridays "The Maple Leaf Forever". After reading Fellowtraveller's response, I understand a little more what is wrong with todays youth. I long for those simpler times.

I went to elementary school in Alberta through the early sixties and we said the pledge to the Union Jack. This all changed with Confederation. 

I went to elementary school in Alberta in the early sixties. We said a pledge of allegiance to the Union Jack. Sang Oh Canada and God Save the Queen each morning. 

Edited by Janet Ferguson
I see my posts now :)

The Lord's Prayer was said each morning in the public elementary school I went to in Alberta. This changed in Jr High. . We stopped pledging allegiance to the Queen, to the Union Jack as we entered 100 years as a Confederacy, chose to have our own flag in 1965, then to bring out Constitution home in the 1980's.

Our WW2 veterans I remember were still loyal to England and did not want to change the flag at all.  It has been a process.

There was another political stir when President De Gaulle came to our Expo '67, which was our celebration of 100 years of Confederacy and said "Vive le Quebec libre' and stirred up the French Canadian loyalty to France. The WW2 veterans remembered how Quebec did not want to enter the war and this caused a bit of a sore spot.  De Gaulle had said, "French Canada is bound to become it s own state" to his aide"

All in all it was best to have our own flag as the loyalties were split from the beginning. 

I vaguely do recall pledging allegiance to the flag in the 50s.  

Went something like:  I pledge allegiance to the flag and to the country for which it stands.  

There was a bit more to it, but I can't recall the words.