Political Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
betsy

United 93

I am anxious to see this movie. I have not heard the tape of calls...but from what I've read about the passengers of this plane, they are true heroes.

Apparently, some relatives of the passengers do not approve of this film....but others support it. A mother who had lost a son calls it a "beautiful movie."

True stories of heroism like this ought to be made into movies!

I am wanting to see this movie as well. I am expeciting a glorified Hollywood style movie myself. But I could be wrong.

There has been quite a bit of 9/11 news in the past month or so.

Here's a link to the flight recorder transcript.

I suspect the producers of this movie are anxious about the release of this transcript during Moussaoui's trial. It raises the profile of the flight but it puts in jeopardy the movie's veracity.

The producers of the movie Titanic made a fortune from a disaster, but they waited almost 100 years to do it.

People are more and more impatient.

I won't go see it for the same reason I wouldn't see the Homolka movie. Some things shouldn't be exploited for profit, just to feed voyeurs.

Some people interviewed on CTV newsnet (who were actually involved somehow during 9'11) talked of the accuracy of the movie. That's usually the flaw of historical or true events movies....the way they are made to fit the hollywood mold.

I remember tearing up when I first heard in the news what happened in Flight 93. My emotions were so mixed....but the most dominating was the feeling of admiration and pride over this group. For me, it was a strong reminder that good guys are still out there.

Some may view it as exploitation....but if done accurately, the positives will far outweigh whatever negatives others may think. I don't mind film-makers making money in return....as long as they do justice to the story of the brave folks who refused to die in vain that day. If movies by pseudo-heroes make millions in the tills, why shouldn't true heroism make as much...or more?

This is inspiring! And it's real.

That day...and several days or perhaps weeks after, how many news channel restrained themselves from repeatedly showing the horrific scene on WTC?

And apparently, a dvd is out there for quite a while now (a compilation of 11 short movies from different countries) called September 11...., including Egypt, Chile and Sean Penn's entries. Reviews are mixed. It is said to be a thinly disguised US bashing, trivializing the loss of lives on that day. Of all the entries, only one was lauded: No sound except the falling bodies from the tower.

I won't go see it for the same reason I wouldn't see the Homolka movie. Some things shouldn't be exploited for profit, just to feed voyeurs.

Here here.

I'll listen to the tape, I'll read about the issue, but I won't be entertained with the story of such a horrendous crime. In both the Homolka and this case.

I'd rather watch this.

Now that, is a movie.

Please tell me Steven Seagal marches on the plane and shoots all the snakes? Then we find its a plane destined for an Indian reserve, where the snakes were going to rid the Indians for further oil development?

No? :lol:

I'd rather watch this.

Now that, is a movie.

Please tell me Steven Seagal marches on the plane and shoots all the snakes? Then we find its a plane destined for an Indian reserve, where the snakes were going to rid the Indians for further oil development?

No? :lol:

Much hate for Segal. But that movie is going to be campy cheesy and a hellalotafun. Segal needs to stay of this plane.

I'd rather watch this.

I confess that I do watch Steven Segal, Van Damme, Schwarzenneger, etc.., I like thrillers and horrors...and some B-movies are good! I'll most probably end up watching this one too.

I don't suppose this and the released transcript will get rid of those conspiracy theories. Its amazing how many people really believe that there was no plan, it didn't happen etc. etc. We are all supposed to believe that Bush and the White house created 9/11, not sure why. Right up there with Bush creating hurricanes I suppose.

Obviously Bush doesn't create Hurricanes... I do!!

Seriously though... this is just another attempt by the media to make a quick buck. Are the profits going to some 9/11 survivors fund? Not to the best of my knowledge.

Anyone that makes money off the suffering of others is exhibiting extremely unethical business decisions... personally I won't contribute to the producers wallet in order to watch the Hollywood version of the deaths of some very heroic people.

This goes beyond the Vietnam movies, for example. Platoon never portrayed individuals, it was an exhibition of American policy and activities and horrors faced by troops over in Vietnam. In contrast, this movie is a direct showcase of the deaths of people.

Even if the families support this movie, I cannot. It has no education value. Pure entertainment from real death is a very uncivilised leisure activity indeed. Why not just bring out the gladiators?

This makes me question how much more civilized we are then our ancestors. The modern man still has a fascination in watching others die.

Seriously though... this is just another attempt by the media to make a quick buck. Are the profits going to some 9/11 survivors fund? Not to the best of my knowledge.

Anyone that makes money off the suffering of others is exhibiting extremely unethical business decisions... personally I won't contribute to the producers wallet in order to watch the Hollywood version of the deaths of some very heroic people.

This goes beyond the Vietnam movies, for example. Platoon never portrayed individuals, it was an exhibition of American policy and activities and horrors faced by troops over in Vietnam. In contrast, this movie is a direct showcase of the deaths of people.

I disagree Geoffrey. This is as much a legitimate topic of a film as Pearl Harbour (From Here to Eternity) or the Holocaust (Schindler's List).

I heard a CBC radio discussion this morning stating that "it's too soon" to show this United 93 movie. Mark Steyn, on the other hand, made the point that no one waited to make Casablanca. I posted above that it took over 85 years to make a film about the Titanic. (In fact, there was a 1950s Titanic movie.)

It is often said that Hollywood is just a business, out to make a buck. And with that said, we can ignore Hollywood - as if business is not part of society, or part of culture, as if making a profit denies anyone the right to say anything.

The story of this flight is as dramatic as it gets, but the story is also political.

This film has every right to be made, every right to be part of American culture and every right to turn a profit for its investors. I don't think it's crass exploitation of a private tragedy.

[bTW, I have heard that the family of all those innocents who died approved the script.] Link

The film is due for release this Friday.

I disagree Geoffrey. This is as much a legitimate topic of a film as Pearl Harbour (From Here to Eternity) or the Holocaust (Schindler's List).

I heard a CBC radio discussion this morning stating that "it's too soon" to show this United 93 movie. Mark Steyn, on the other hand, made the point that no one waited to make Casablanca. I posted above that it took over 85 years to make a film about the Titanic. (In fact, there was a 1950s Titanic movie.)

It is often said that Hollywood is just a business, out to make a buck. And with that said, we can ignore Hollywood - as if business is not part of society, or part of culture, as if making a profit denies anyone the right to say anything.

The story of this flight is as dramatic as it gets, but the story is also political.

This film has every right to be made, every right to be part of American culture and every right to turn a profit for its investors. I don't think it's crass exploitation of a private tragedy.

[bTW, I have heard that the family of all those innocents who died approved the script.] Link

The film is due for release this Friday.

If I'm not mistaken, parts of the proceed is going to a foundation that's related to 9/11.

Oh, I'm not going to ever say a movie shouldn't be allowed to be made.

I just don't get kicks out of watching these people die. These are real deal people. I'll pass on spending money to watch such a thing.

Would everyone be ok going to watch a re-enactment of the Columbine massacres, with real names and lives attached to the people? Probably not.

If someone wants to make the movie, go for it. But you won't find me at such a movie getting entertainment from the deaths of innocents.

Educational documentaries that teach me something are completely different. This doesn't have educational merit, this is merely a dramatic moneymaker.

I just don't get kicks out of watching these people die. These are real deal people. I'll pass on spending money to watch such a thing.

Would everyone be ok going to watch a re-enactment of the Columbine massacres, with real names and lives attached to the people? Probably not.

If someone wants to make the movie, go for it. But you won't find me at such a movie getting entertainment from the deaths of innocents.

Educational documentaries that teach me something are completely different. This doesn't have educational merit, this is merely a dramatic moneymaker.

Columbine massacres? No.

This type of movie? Yes.

Well, the way I see it...this is more than just watching a group of people die. It is the way they took control. The way they chosed to die.

The reality of terrorist acts make this movie significant in a way that it is celebrating the heroic deeds of this group who'd all come together united in a snap decision that not only saved the lives of thousands more....but may've also rekindled the spark of patriotism in everyone.

I know that if faced with the same situation, held hostage and helpless in a plane....I would want to die the same way: fighting.

If we're at war...we better start doing "propagandas" to stir up patriotism. That's what they did in the second world war. And what better "propaganda" it is than to see the re-enactment of real heroes....of this day and age....facing this new type of war.

Terrorists will never feel so ease anymore in planes....they never know when there would be another United 93.

I would also like to add that on the contrary, it is never too soon to see a movie such as this....at a time like this, when we've seen the reality of terrorism, not on distant shores, but right here....on our doorstep.

I do not think waiting years before we see this will do any benefit at all....it will end up being just like any other war movies based on true events....but somehow having the impact of "just another action movie", because it happened too long ago. We're far too removed from that reality.

But this is about now. We're living this now. I would rather these heroes be immortalized now....when the impact of what they've done will serve an important purpose.

Heroes not only save lives. They also inspire.

Why not? Movies like Schildler's List or Black Hawk Down depict real events and are based on the experiences of real people. Why is it okay to watch a slightly dramatized version of real life, but not something that tells the real story of real people? It seems like such an arbitray distinction to make.

Films aren't all mindless entertainment, ya know. They remain a powerful medium for telling stories. i think your characterization of this film as a "dramatic moneymaker" is misguided.

Why not? Movies like Schildler's List or Black Hawk Down depict real events and are based on the experiences of real people. Why is it okay to watch a slightly dramatized version of real life, but not something that tells the real story of real people? It seems like such an arbitray distinction to make.

Films aren't all mindless entertainment, ya know. They remain a powerful medium for telling stories. i think your characterization of this film as a "dramatic moneymaker" is misguided.

BD, it's Hollywood. Manking money is their thing. Making a great movie comes in second most of the time.

BD, it's Hollywood. Manking money is their thing. Making a great movie comes in second most of the time.

But not always. Hollywood is not a monolith: everyone wants to make a money, but not everyone wants to churn out movie versions of '70s sitcoms to do it. Also: what's wrong with making money? Did anyone accuse Speilberg for exploiting the Holocaust for personal gain?

If the producer wasn't making this, he would be making that. This obviously fills a gap in his soul. One that popens him up for critisism and spritual reward. I'm willing to bet he is already a millionaire may times over and knows that whatever he makes will make money, and those backers know that otherwise they would not give him the money to go ahead.

So, it is what is he going to make. Here, he went to a lot of trouble to make it factual and able to hold interest as well as tell a story that has many characters. And, out of it, we can see what it may have been like and appreciate the people who figured it out as they were about to meet death,

I applaud him. And, hope he makes a lot of money too. I mean, Moore made big on his bullshit gig of distorted editing, why shouldn't this guy with his painstakingly accurate as possible and dramatic enhancement of the events of the 93 flight?

So far it's been having good reviews yesterday on CTV Newsnet. Part of the proceeds will go to the Flight 93 Memorial Fund.

United 93

By Kirk Honeycutt

Bottom line: Unflinching account of the terror aboard the fourth hijacked plane on Sept. 11 provokes deep, disturbing emotions.

"Press notes for motion pictures are usually filled with dispensable, self-congratulatory puffery, but the one for the soul-searing film "United 93" contains this trenchant comment from its English writer-director, Paul Greengrass: Speaking of the 40 individuals aboard United Airlines Flight 93, the fourth hijacked plane on that day of infamy, Sept. 11, 2001, he notes that these were the only passengers and crew members on any of those ill-fated flights who knew about the other planes having been used as weapons and realized what was happening to them. "They were the first people to inhabit the post-9/11 world," Greengrass says. These were the first to react to the worldwide conflict we find ourselves in today. Within the microcosm of that reaction, Greengrass has made an emphatic political document, a movie about defiance against tyranny and terrorism.

In years to come, United 93 may enter our mythology in ways unimaginable. But for now, we have a starting point. "United 93" is a sincere attempt to pull together the known facts and guesses at the emotional truths as best anyone can. Then, in the movie's final moments, the impact of the heroism aboard United 93 becomes startlingly clear."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/revie...t_id=1002383139

I'm planning to see it today....