Political Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
betsy

Amnesty For Illegal Workers?

According to MDuffy, there's rumour that Harper will grant amnesty to all illegal workers next week.

I agree with a critic that that move will only encourage more to come.

What about those who had followed the proper procedure to enter Canada....waiting in line for years? A lot of whom are relatives of bonafide citizens in this country? If the illegals can beat them in...well, looks like sneaking to Canada in an illegal way is much better. So do we end up granting amnesty every 5 years or so? What about screening? Might as well dismantle the immigration department.

Guest Warwick Green
According to MDuffy, there's rumour that Harper will grant amnesty to all illegal workers next week.

I agree with a critic that that move will only encourage more to come.

What about those who had followed the proper procedure to enter Canada....waiting in line for years? A lot of whom are relatives of bonafide citizens in this country? If the illegals can beat them in...well, looks like sneaking to Canada in an illegal way is much better. So do we end up granting amnesty every 5 years or so? What about screening? Might as well dismantle the immigration department.

I listened to Harper yesterday and I heard nothing to suggest that something like this was coming. Even if some form of amnesty were in the cards I am sure it would have several strings attached to it - like length of time in the country, no criminal record, etc. Still, if he does go this route, it'll mean more grumblings from his backbenches - and I don't think that this will play well outside of ethnic groups in the big cities, where the Tories have no seats.

I am against an amnesty, I hope Harper has the guts to say no.

Right. A blanket amnesty is the wrong approach. It would be far better to cut back on immigration requirements to speed the process up, and allow illegals an avenue to apply that way. I mean, if you're considering granting illegals legitimacy by way of amnesty, how can you possibly be against increased immigration? It's not like it would be less secure.

Yes, I think Harper is taking the right steps to promote legal immigration. He has promised to slash the 'Right of Permanent Residence' Fee from $975 to $490. And he has announced an extra $300 million in settlement funding over two years, which will include the setting up of an agency to assess and recognize foreign credentials. And in addition, the government is commited to streamlining the foreign adoption process, so that Canadians can more easily adopt children from overseas, with less "beurocratic hurdles".

It's interesting how the Canadian Conservative Government is taking steps to encourage immigration, while the US Conservative Government is putting up more barriers, demanding passports for Canadian visitors, and plus there's that whole issue of Mexican illegal aliens in the US. The US government made it a felony to be an illegal immigrant. The bill they passed calls for the three measures including: the deportation of all illegal immigrants, the construction of a massive fence along the Mexican-U.S. border and criminal repercussions for employers who hire them.

So compared to that, I think that Harper's policy is way better.

Actually, according to this article published May 13, the bill hasn't passed yet. There are serious doubt that it ever will. The concept of suddenly having 10+ million felons wandering around the country isn't appealing to anybody.

All people that have arrived illegally should be deported immediately when found.

If they can't be trusted to follow the law like the thousands of legal immigrants, I sure don't trust them to all of a sudden change and follow the law once in Canada.

Give them all the boot, illegal immigrants has one very key word.... illegal.

All people that have arrived illegally should be deported immediately when found.

If they can't be trusted to follow the law like the thousands of legal immigrants, I sure don't trust them to all of a sudden change and follow the law once in Canada.

I agree with the sentiment, but ... deported to where? Where did they come from? If they don't have papers it's a pretty tough call, especially since they're probably lying about their country of origin. We don't want them here, so why should another country be willing to take them without proof of citizenship? If we just start shipping them out based on quick assumptions we're going to make a lot of foreign governments angry and uncooperative.

I agree with the sentiment, but ... deported to where? Where did they come from? If they don't have papers it's a pretty tough call, especially since they're probably lying about their country of origin. We don't want them here, so why should another country be willing to take them without proof of citizenship? If we just start shipping them out based on quick assumptions we're going to make a lot of foreign governments angry and uncooperative.

So we'll find out where they come from and ship them out ASAP. No benefits while they are here. It would definitely be costly, but no more costly then the months of social support and health care they get while illegally in Canada awaiting trial.

It undermines the whole system to send ANY message at all that sneaking into Canada's back doors is ok. Why follow the law if you can get in illegally and the next day have amnesty to hang out here?

Amnesty is am awful, horrible idea that I don't think most pundits have considered the entire consequences of.