Political Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kuzadd

How Antonio Taguba, who investigated the Abu Ghraib scandal

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/06...h?currentPage=1

In January of 2006, Taguba received a telephone call from General Richard Cody, the Army’s Vice-Chief of Staff. “This is your Vice,” he told Taguba. “I need you to retire by January of 2007.” No pleasantries were exchanged, although the two generals had known each other for years, and, Taguba said, “He offered no reason.” (A spokesperson for Cody said, “Conversations regarding general officer management are considered private personnel discussions. General Cody has great respect for Major General Taguba as an officer, leader, and American patriot.”)

“They always shoot the messenger,” Taguba told me. “To be accused of being overzealous and disloyal—that cuts deep into me. I was being ostracized for doing what I was asked to do.”

Taguba went on, “There was no doubt in my mind that this stuff”—the explicit images—“was gravitating upward. It was standard operating procedure to assume that this had to go higher. The President had to be aware of this.” He said that Rumsfeld, his senior aides, and the high-ranking generals and admirals who stood with him as he misrepresented what he knew about Abu Ghraib had failed the nation.

“From the moment a soldier enlists, we inculcate loyalty, duty, honor, integrity, and selfless service,” Taguba said. “And yet when we get to the senior-officer level we forget those values. I know that my peers in the Army will be mad at me for speaking out, but the fact is that we violated the laws of land warfare in Abu Ghraib. We violated the tenets of the Geneva Convention. We violated our own principles and we violated the core of our military values. The stress of combat is not an excuse, and I believe, even today, that those civilian and military leaders responsible should be held accountable.” ♦

this is a nine page report, on Taguba's report into the torture and abuse at Abu Ghraib, he did his job, and the "thanks" he got?? None!

Rumsfeld , as always, the liar.

This article makes clear IMO that the torture at Abu Ghraib, was worse and more extensive, then has been let on.

Also has been much more covered up, then has been portrayed.

"

The dirt and secrets are in the back channel,” the former senior intelligence officer noted. “All this open business—sitting in staff meetings, etc., etc.—is the Potemkin Village stuff. And the good guys—like Taguba—are gone.”

In some cases, the secret operations remained unaccountable. In an April, 2005, memorandum, a C.I.D. officer—his name was redacted—complained to C.I.D. headquarters, at Fort Belvoir, Virginia, about the impossibility of investigating military members of a Special Access Program suspected of prisoner abuse:

[C.I.D.] has been unable to thoroughly investigate . . . due to the suspects and witnesses involvement in Special Access Programs (SAP) and/or the security classification of the unit they were assigned to during the offense under investigation. Attempts by Special Agents . . . to be “read on” to these programs has [sic] been unsuccessful.

The C.I.D. officer wrote that “fake names were used” by members of the task force; he also told investigators that the unit had a “major computer malfunction which resulted in them losing 70 per cent of their files; therefore, they can’t find the cases we need to review.”

The officer concluded that the investigation “does not need to be reopened. Hell, even if we reopened it we wouldn’t get any more information than we already have.”

The officer concluded that the investigation “does not need to be reopened. Hell, even if we reopened it we wouldn’t get any more information than we already have.”

What more do you want/need to know? More photos perhaps? Accountability for that "liar" Rumsfeld?

What more do you want/need to know? More photos perhaps? Accountability for that "liar" Rumsfeld?

Yah a war crimes tribunal would be great!

condoning the coverup?

The great bringer of 'freedom and democracy'

lol

Condoning the 'coverup' is not a war crime. Can you cite specific element of an offense, bring indictments, and convict at trial? Or is this just another feel good spasm for justice unfulfilled, like Milosevic laughing from his grave.

Condoning the 'coverup' is not a war crime. Can you cite specific element of an offense, bring indictments, and convict at trial? Or is this just another feel good spasm for justice unfulfilled, like Milosevic laughing from his grave.

Did you read all of the article?

I was asking you if you were condoning the coverup?

I also am impressed with the way the military treated him , for doing the job, they gave him to do.

Another casualty of the imperial adventure in Iraq.

I must say, those soldiers, are proficient at rape and have a real thing for sodomy.

That's quite a recurring factor.

Ah, but then, I guess that's how the west brings freedom and democracy, via rape torture, sodomy, putting multiple items in prisoners rectums

right BC?

I would be concerned when that gang comes home.

What a great man IMO, is Taguba, to have the courage to present the truth, when everyone around is trying to stop the truth, is no small thing.

The story he told of the woman detainee who was sodomized by one of the guards in front of others, is absolutely sickening.

As you say kuzadd, when these monsters come home, it won't be pleasant for the women and children with whom they come in contact with.

The Iraqi prisoners may even prefer being imprisoned with the American monster woman guard in charge. Too bad. She's been back in the U.S. for a year or two and is now serving a long sentence in a U.S. jail along with the other former Abu Graib guards.

Some of the small number of prisoners who remained in the jail after the Americans left said they had pleaded to go with their departing captors, rather than be left in the hands of Iraqi guards.

"The Americans were better than the Iraqis. They treated us better," said Khalid Alaani, who was held on suspicion of involvement in Sunni terrorism.

All of The former American guards of the prison accused of torture were returned to the U.S. some time ago.

The woman guard accused of the worst Iraqi prisoner abuse certainly deserves to be referred to as a monster since it is the extreme feminists of the world usually wailing about the abuse-rape-assault of women by those misogynist men! Too funny. :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...9/10/wirq10.xml

Alexandra, good find. How ironic that the prisoners were begging to go with the American captors than stay in a prison now run by Iraqi guards. Will the left screech about the worse treatment they are receiving? Will anyone on this forum care now that it's the Iraqis who are doing it? Stay tuned...

I also am impressed with the way the military treated him , for doing the job, they gave him to do.

I must say, those soldiers, are proficient at rape and have a real thing for sodomy.

Ah, but then, I guess that's how the west brings freedom and democracy, via rape torture, sodomy, putting multiple items in prisoners rectums

right BC?

Why?...."that gang" came from "home" to begin with. Nothing we can't find in the US or Canada. Do you hold a special reverence for the rectum, or would assault of any kind be equally egregious?

The alleged "coverup" is equally unremarkable. The "military" is the same as it ever was, with heroes and villians, and often the very same person.

What a great man IMO, is Taguba, to have the courage to present the truth, when everyone around is trying to stop the truth, is no small thing.

The story he told of the woman detainee who was sodomized by one of the guards in front of others, is absolutely sickening.

As you say kuzadd, when these monsters come home, it won't be pleasant for the women and children with whom they come in contact with.

Agreed, but then the US can just let them wonder the streets.

Half-out of their minds, like the vietnam vets.

Agreed there was some sick stuff in the article.

I chuckled and Donald Rumsfeld

he didn't know anything?????

right BC?

Why?...."that gang" came from "home" to begin with. Nothing we can't find in the US or Canada. Do you hold a special reverence for the rectum, or would assault of any kind be equally egregious?

The alleged "coverup" is equally unremarkable. The "military" is the same as it ever was, with heroes and villians, and often the very same person.

No, no special reverence for the rectum, it made me think of the 'religious right' and there concern with sodomy. How sodomizers are sinners. Maybe though it's ok to sodomize Iraqis, since that's "God's army" doing it.

lol!

The Iraqi prisoners may even prefer being imprisoned with the American monster woman guard in charge. Too bad. She's been back in the U.S. for a year or two and is now serving a long sentence in a U.S. jail along with the other former Abu Graib guards.
Some of the small number of prisoners who remained in the jail after the Americans left said they had pleaded to go with their departing captors, rather than be left in the hands of Iraqi guards.

"The Americans were better than the Iraqis. They treated us better," said Khalid Alaani, who was held on suspicion of involvement in Sunni terrorism.

All of The former American guards of the prison accused of torture were returned to the U.S. some time ago.

The woman guard accused of the worst Iraqi prisoner abuse certainly deserves to be referred to as a monster since it is the extreme feminists of the world usually wailing about the abuse-rape-assault of women by those misogynist men! Too funny. :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...9/10/wirq10.xml

the US runs Iraq, no matter, what puppet, is being puppeteered.

The US trains the Iraqi police force, and more.

what is "too funny", is how ok, you are with abuse, torture and rape as long as it's conducted by Americans?

Actually it is too sick!

what is "too funny", is how ok, you are with abuse, torture and rape as long as it's conducted by Americans?

Actually it is too sick!

It's not just Americans, and it is not just Iraq. I needn't remind you of the Airborne Regiment's adventures in Somalia. Back in Texas, they had to fight for the right to sodomy!

Actually it is too sick!

It's not just Americans, and it is not just Iraq. I needn't remind you of the Airborne Regiment's adventures in Somalia. Back in Texas, they had to fight for the right to sodomy!

Oh here we go with the Somalia incident....which I am well aware of, as I am certain you know.

Nope it's not just Americans, but it's MOSTLY Americans, and it isn't just Iraq, it's Afghanistan, it's Saudi Arabia, where the US props up the despotic regime, it's Africa, where, yah Canada, along with Australia, Britian and the US, is complicit, in the misery of the people living there.

I mean completely complicit, where tyrants are given weapons to oppress the people, for diamonds, for oil.

( i mean AlQuaeda-Al-CIAduh rofl!)

But Face it BC, America is the empire, the military might machine that keeps a rolling, and Canada and Australia, the lackeys in oppression and misery. They go along to get along.

It's a good thing AlQuaeda has shown up, prior to the announcement of the Afri-com expansion eh?

(That darn AlQuaeda , always there when the US needs'em!)

Oh we've all been there, but, now with 'AlQuaeda' in the open in Africa, full spectrum dominance in the public domain can take please, all under the guise of the 'war on terror'

Then we can have another 'free market miracle'

Oh here we go with the Somalia incident....which I am well aware of, as I am certain you know.

Nope it's not just Americans, but it's MOSTLY Americans, and it isn't just Iraq, it's Afghanistan, it's Saudi Arabia, where the US props up the despotic regime, it's Africa, where, yah Canada, along with Australia, Britian and the US, is complicit, in the misery of the people living there.

I mean completely complicit, where tyrants are given weapons to oppress the people, for diamonds, for oil.

( i mean AlQuaeda-Al-CIAduh rofl!)

But Face it BC, America is the empire, the military might machine that keeps a rolling, and Canada and Australia, the lackeys in oppression and misery. They go along to get along.

Is that what this is all about? Hoping that someday the fall of the Yankee "empire" will rescue Canada and the world from the horrors of globalist oppression and political "lackeydom"? Wouldn't that be Canada's second fall from grace, such as the Commonwealth is today? Who will be the next master to serve as an excuse for economic and political choices made in Ottawa or Toronto...CHINA?

So suffer if you must with heartfelt passion and disdain, even as you enjoy the benefits of the very system that you rail against. I'm sure the Africans appreciate your emotional support.