Political Discussion Forums

STOP UN FUNDING OF DURBAN II

Here's a petition that needs signing..

STOP UN FUNDING OF DURBAN II

At the first UN World Conference Against Racism in Durban, South Africa in 2001, I, along with other Wiesenthal Center representatives, witnessed a continuous barrage of anti-Israel and anti-Semitic sentiment which culminated with thousands of demonstrators at the conference’s Friday closing “March Against Racism” where a synagogue was surrounded and banners proclaiming “Hitler was right” were waved by participants while chanting, “Death to the Jews!” Inside the conference, the worst anti-semitic rhetoric since the Nazi era was spouted under the banner of the United Nations.

Most disturbing are those helping to craft the 2009 Conference agenda. They include representatives of Iran’s President Ahmadinejad -an unabashed Holocaust denier and proponent of a genocidal campaign against the State of Israel. In a preview of what we can expect from the Durban II process, the Syrian representative stated, “This Conference should fight discrimination against semitic people focusing on Islamophobia.” We cannot expect any help from Pakistan, Bangladesh and Cuba -countries with the some of worst human rights violations on record.

And as for the UN’s own human rights watchdog? At the opening session, the High Commissioner for Human Rights, Louise Arbour, praised the last Durban conference, “Durban I [the 2001 UN Conference on Racism ] established a vision and clear parameter of tolerance, appreciation of diversity and harmonious coexistence.”

As the Wiesenthal Center’s Director for International Relations, I was horrified to witness a virtual ‘identity theft’ under the aegis of the UN. There is emerging a systematic effort to totally recast anti-semitism as a form of Islamophobia, no longer the UN-acknowledged title for hate crimes against Jews. Therefore, I, along with others from the Center, will monitor every preparatory meeting to expose and confront each and every move to demonize and deligitimize Israel to help exert pressure to prevent this process from degenerating into anti-semitism.

And, we need your help. I ask you to take the following two steps immediately:

First, sign the petition to United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon , urging him to withhold requested funds for the Durban II process as long as it is left in the hands of nations like Iran which openly seeks Israel’s destruction and other regimes with dismal human rights records. Secretary Ban must bring the full weight of his office to stop this mockery of the UN’s own charter.

Second, please make a generous contribution to the Center today. We urgently need your support in order to wage this crucial fight.

We know that these machinations in Geneva, Brussels and New York will fuel the worldwide effort to boycott Israel in the fields of sports, telecommunications, academia, science, culture and the arts, which are already underway. Israel will be increasingly cast as a pariah apartheid regime with pressure to launch tourism embargoes, and various diplomatic sanctions. “Anti-Zionist” campaigns within churches, unions and universities will impact on our students and communities around the world.

You and I, acting together, can make a difference. Please sign the enclosed petition urging UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon not to fund Durban II.

And then, please consider a generous contribution to the Simon Wiesenthal Center today.

We’re counting on your support!

Sincerely,

Dr. Shimon Samuels,

Director for International Relations

More lies from the Wiesenthal Center I see!! And of course they want MONEY!!! More money!!! Gee doesn't this group lump all Jews together - someone might want to tell Rue!!

Oh and Scriblett - get your check book out!! Donate!! They need your $$$$!!!

Bah!!

So you think the Durban conference in 2001 was a good thing?

more lies?

I see you are taking less care to cover up your anti-semitism as of late.

it's good to be honest with oneself.

So you think the Durban conference in 2001 was a good thing?

more lies?

I see you are taking less care to cover up your anti-semitism as of late.

it's good to be honest with oneself.

I wonder what good things for mankind Durban I accomplished. Given that many of the loudest mouths hailed from impoverished countries one would think that their resources could be spent helping the people, rather than junketeering.